The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 1, 2017, 09:09 PM   #101
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Po' folk, mostly. We can't all be rich.
If you are too poor to at least by a second gun to hunt with maybe you don't need to be hunting. If it is for food, if you are that poor you can get food stamps. If it is not for food it is more of a recreation that needs to be prioritized in your budget.
The hunting part is what makes the OP's question such a challenge. Anything that is concealable would easily double for home defense. But a concealable handgun would take quite a bit of restraint to be an ethical hunter. Only taking shots at very close ranges.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!

Last edited by Cheapshooter; November 1, 2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old November 1, 2017, 09:14 PM   #102
RIDE-RED 350r

Fair enough!

It's taken me a fair bit of time to build my modest little stable of Smiths
Old November 2, 2017, 06:18 AM   #103
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post
If you are too poor to at least by a second gun to hunt with maybe you don't need to be hunting. If it is for food, if you are that poor you can get food stamps.
As far as things like self reliance go, my vote is for hunting and not food stamps.
Old November 4, 2017, 11:14 AM   #104
the possum

Quote:
If you are too poor to at least by a second gun to hunt with maybe you don't need to be hunting. If it is for food, if you are that poor you can get food stamps.
Not always true. My divorce left me technically bankrupt, and I had to pay my ex & her debts so much I was left to live on about $600 per month for everything else. I lost 30 pounds because I couldn't even afford enough hot dogs & rice to eat. And because I had adequate income on paper, no way I could qualify for public assistance (not that I would have taken it anyway). I found a lot of new recipes for venison in those days.
Old November 7, 2017, 12:36 AM   #105
Laz

I’m with Bob Wright. A 4 5/8 inch Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt, only I’d make it a convertible to be able to also use 45 acp loads for CC and HD.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.