The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 5, 2008, 05:22 PM   #26
PT111

Quote:
Did he telephone BATF within 48 hours of discovering the theft and then submit a written report to BATF on BATF Form 3310.11? Did he report the theft to local law enforcement authorities and obtain a case number? Did he make the appropriate entries to his "bound book"? He was required by 27CFR 478.39a to take these actions. If he complied, he should have had no problems with BATF. If he didn't or was late in reporting, that may have been the source of his troubles.
Yes jumped through all the hoops and they did not fine him or anything like that. His insurance finally paid off on the stolen guns but it was quite a hassle and he said it wasn't worth it happening again.
Old December 5, 2008, 05:30 PM   #27
News Shooter

Did you notice the questions the agents asked at the end? "Do you have any animals in the house or any hidden rooms?" If I had enough tin foil I'd make myself a hat
Old December 5, 2008, 05:38 PM   #28
Chipperman

Well if I get The Call, I intend to ask the Examiner the puropose of those questions.

Makes you wonder if the ATF Folks just added those for fun. I can picture them in the office, gathered around a computer reading the NES thread and laughing their collective butts off.
Old December 5, 2008, 05:40 PM   #29
M14fan

No, but I have had the ATF inquire of my favorite FFL holder about me. That was a bit disconcerting.
Old December 5, 2008, 05:50 PM   #30
News Shooter

Those people don't do anything for fun
Old December 5, 2008, 06:18 PM   #31
UniversalFrost

have had an 01 in the past and have an active 03 now and never had a problem with the BATF. Sounds like the folks getting questioned are doing some dealings above and beyond what would be considered collecting.

I buy a lot of C&R guns and sell a few like the others have said, but it is never for a business or profit purpose. when an agent looks in someones books and sees a lot of sales then they will only look further and nail the person in question.

as long as you don't go nuts with selling then no worries. and yes keep your records straight and keep them for 20 years per transaction. I keep both a hard and soft copy of mine (you have to have a hard copy per BATF regs and the soft copy is just for me in case my hard copy gets destroyed).

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old December 5, 2008, 06:28 PM   #32
Chipperman

Quote:
Sounds like the folks getting questioned are doing some dealings above and beyond what would be considered collecting.
One of them hasn't even bought anything since acquiring the license.

Quote:
Those people don't do anything for fun
My post was, of course, made in jest. It just made a funny image in my mind.
Old December 5, 2008, 06:30 PM   #33
News Shooter

No, these people are not being singled out because they are doing anything wrong. There is absolutely no evidence of that and to imply that is irresponsible.

Last edited by News Shooter; December 5, 2008 at 06:56 PM.
Old December 11, 2008, 04:06 PM   #34
ibontop

I just got the call from local ATF> They are going to audit me at my place of liscence ( NOT at their office), needing to see my books, license, and firearms.

I have only 6 guns, and havnt used my license in years. Never sold, lost or anything to any that I bought since I got the license.

Pile of crap if you ask me, i have to take a day off of work without pay for this.

Any insite as to what to expect?
Old December 11, 2008, 04:39 PM   #35
Chipperman

This thread goes over the experiencesof the people in MA over the past week:
http://northeastshooters.com/vbullet...ad.php?t=49324

I have not gotten a call yet. We'll see if my number comes up.
Old December 11, 2008, 06:46 PM   #36
EOD Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibontop

I just got the call from local ATF> They are going to audit me at my place of liscence ( NOT at their office), needing to see my books, license, and firearms.

I have only 6 guns, and havnt used my license in years. Never sold, lost or anything to any that I bought since I got the license.

Pile of crap if you ask me, i have to take a day off of work without pay for this.

Any insite as to what to expect?
You have the legal right to have the inspection conducted at the BATF office nearest your residence. They have no option and are legally required to allow that.
Old December 16, 2008, 12:41 AM   #37
wgb_ks

I have had my C&R FFL for close to 15 years and I never heard anything form the BATF about it. Even when I got a Form 6 approved (import permit), the local BATF office still did not bother me at all. The only time I talked to an inspector was when a guy I knew was selling guns without a license at gunshows. The BATF inspector called and asked me many probing questions about him and how I knew him - he was a complete ass, that was over 10 years ago but I will never forget it. I was expecting a raid after I hung up the phone. The raid never happened and I have not talked to them since.
Old December 16, 2008, 01:11 PM   #38
ilbob

A friend of mine had it happen to him. He got a call and made an appointment with them when it was convenient for both of them. He said the lady who showed up was very polite and professional about it. She looked through his bound book and asked to see a few firearms at random, which he held for her with his white cotton gloves on while she verified the serial numbers (very collectible Lugers mostly).

He said the ATF lady was only there maybe 30 minutes and never said what triggered the visit.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old December 17, 2008, 10:31 AM   #39
CJO

The very first call I recieved after the damaged phone lines were repaired (post Katrina) was from the ATF...They wated to know if my guns we intact and under my control...I recieved another identical call from a different agent about two weeks later..
Old December 17, 2008, 11:03 AM   #40
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
very collectible Lugers mostly
My impression is the ATF is much more uptight about handguns going through C&R then anything else. If you order a bunch of Nagant revolvers or something the dealer who sells them is requested to inform the ATFE, or so I have heard. Buy a few crates of K31s and no one cares.

ATFE agents probably don't know enough about the value of different handguns to tell which might be used in a crime and which might not.