The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 14, 2008, 07:34 AM   #1
chickenman

Yildiz .410 mini review (pis)

Well I got a Yildiz .410 3" single shot a year ago and wanted to share a little details on the firearm.

For those that don't have an Academy Sports in your area you wont find a Yildiz more than likely because they are imported by Academy in Katy Texas from Burdur Turkey.
This shotgun is as light as they come and a good shooter. It folds in half almost and is easy to do so. It cuts down any varmint (I use it on skunks) with the right shot at the right distance.
This is a great "trunk or truck" shotgun but it has such a nice finish on the stock I wouldn't do that myself. I can see its advantages while backpacking should you want to bring a shotgun.
The only problem I have with it is its cheap safety. It reminds me of a Mossberg safety but made of tin(?) vs. plastic.
I like those small NEF/H&R shotguns but this one is a bit finer I think. Their overunders are very nice for the $ as well. I got my .410 for $100 I think.

http://www.yildizshotgun.com/

Old August 15, 2008, 09:25 PM   #2
chickenman

shot it again tonight. It keep #6 shot well at 25yds.
Old August 16, 2008, 04:18 PM   #3
mtngunr

Had just noted an Academy ad this week for $119 for the Beretta clone, and was quite interested. Then I found this post...went to Academy to look the gun over.....the one on display looked every bit as good as your gun, which really lit me up....the one the saleman pulled out of the box when I told him I was interested had simply stunning wood, better than what's on my B53....so I bought it.

The guns have machined 7075T6 aluminum receivers, satin black ala' Ruger gripframe, just as delicate going by the display model...this gun finally has given me a Duracoat target....a few scratches from now, and the receiver will get black Duracoat....the barrel finish is satin blue/blacking to match the receiver....not a crude bead blast....satin. Everything else is steel or wood, aside from the checkered black plastic buttplate.

Folded, the gun is 10" shorter than the Mossberg 505, and 2lbs lighter.....trim full-length stock, and shoulders/points like a dream...handcut checkering on wrist/knobbed grip, stamped triggerbow screwed to the receiver....satin nickeled opening lever and trigger, slight casting part-line visible in lever knurling ridges only....screws look a bit rough compared to really good gun screws, but not much different than many....safety button might be cast instead of stamped. It has a bushed firing pin with steel bushing/recoil-plate, and monoblock/sleeved-barrel.....relieved to find no swivel studs on the gun.

Unbelievably light and trim gun, and a really good looker, too.....like the Spartan, the lever needs to be manually fully seated until break-in is complete, otherwise, the gun won't fire....choke is unknown, but a single test-shot on paper at 20yds looks identical to both the SuperComanche and the Mossberg 505.....it'll work to 25-30yds if targets are in the center of the 15" core....and points far better than the other two....still can't believe how light the gun is (3.3lbs listed) and how skinny the 28" barrel is...all parts except wood are fully warranted for 3ys.....by Briley.....

One of the nicest looking .410's out there. Thanks for the review.
Old July 23, 2016, 04:07 PM   #4
epwrangler

I just bought one
What a dainty beauty. Shoots good too.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Old July 23, 2016, 04:12 PM   #5
epwrangler

Oh yeah, Eoght years later and I paid $10.00 more. COOL!

Old July 23, 2016, 04:16 PM   #6
ms6852

I've owned a 12 ga over/under for several years. Back than I only paid $300 for it. Beautiful wood and engraving , I love mine and the one I have has more than doubled in price if you were to purchase one new.
Old July 23, 2016, 07:38 PM   #7
Model12Win

Just looked it up, super kewl.

Is it made for a child? Is the length of pull too short for a man?
Old July 24, 2016, 09:24 AM   #8
epwrangler

It is a short lop but since it has a very skinny pad it can be adjusted very easliy. Only thing is at six feet tall, I love the way it comes up to point for me as it is. Part of why I bought it.

Old July 24, 2016, 09:07 PM   #9
Model12Win

Looks like a great squirreler or rabbiter. Congrats!
Old August 20, 2016, 04:26 PM   #10
jstert

i have a khan 410 folder, also made in turkey. it is a perfect travel piece, fits in a nondescript gym bag to carry quietly from car to sleeping quarters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk