The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 18, 2010, 04:45 AM   #1
Rastus

A Few Smith & Wesson Questions

Hello, fellow gun "enthusiasts." Since I tend to run my mouth, the important stuff is in red.

I'm dealing with some health issues in recent years that have kept me at mostly at home so I don't get to visit gun shops and shows as much as I'd like. I noticed at the S&W site that the recommended price for a current production, blued, model 10 revolver is $758.00! The suggested price for a model 67 is $845.00! Ouch! I realize dealers will most likely sell below these suggested prices but how much are these revolvers selling for in the shops? I guess I just got a bit of sticker shock when perusing the S&W site. It looks like new revolver prices in general have gone through the roof!

Also, I have seen comments in this forum and others to the effect that Smith no longer makes K frame revolvers but the S&W site seems to contradict this. What is behind those comments that the traditional K frame is a thing of the past?

Thanks a lot!
Old March 18, 2010, 09:35 AM   #2
carguychris

S&W's MSRPs on their website are pretty much fiction. Bud's has Model 64s (stainless M10) for $560 and Model 67s for $633. However, local retailers will usually price them somewhat higher than this.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/i...page/1/sort/6a

S&W is still making K frames and will probably continue for the forseeable future. The M10, M64, M67, and M617 remain popular. You're probably referring to the fact that they have stopped making .357 Magnum K frames other than a handful of expen$ive Performance Center special editions. This was done because they have durability problems if they're fed a steady diet of high-powered Magnum loads using 110gr-125gr bullets, although it usually takes thousands of rounds for the problems to show up.

Most shooters nowadays prefer the flexibility of a .357 Magnum revolver rather than one that's .38 Special-only, so S&W's decision to discontinue the .357Mag K frames has caused most retailers to carry the slightly larger and stronger L frames instead, primarily the popular Model 686. FWIW although the L frame cylinder and upper frame are larger, it has the exact same dimensions as the K frame through the grip and trigger area; grip panels are actually interchangeable between the two frames.
Old March 18, 2010, 10:05 AM   #3
18DAI

J&G sales has NICE model 64's for under $300. No need to pay more for lesser revolvers.

Best bang for your buck out there. No modern "innovations" like internal locks, MIM parts, or two piece barrels either. Forged flash chromed hammers and triggers.

Mine is a 64-5 with a trigger that rivals my Performance Center revolvers. Exterior cleans up easy with some Flitz and Scotchbrite pads. Best money I've spent on a revolver in years.

Take a look, you will be glad you did. Good luck! Regards 18DAI.
Old March 18, 2010, 10:15 AM   #4
aarondhgraham

Be careful with J&G orders though,,,

Not that J&G will try to cheat you,,,
That's not the case at all.

Because they do get a lot of Model 10's, Model 15's,,,
And their stainless steel counterparts
That are Double-Action Only,,,
Marked as DAO.

This is a fairly common feature,,,
In police and security trade-in guns.

I know two people who have bought those handguns,,,
and never noticed that DAO specification.

J&G is not trying to cheat anyone,,,
It's just something to be aware of when ordering.
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old March 18, 2010, 10:29 AM   #5
DogoDon

The J&G web site clearly states that the model 64 and model 67 guns they are selling have been modified to be DAO. So at least currently, there's no excuse for being surprised when a DAO gun is received. Although perhaps they changed the site at some point to make that clearer, I don't know.
Old March 18, 2010, 10:34 AM   #6
madcratebuilder

Bud's reflects average street prices for new revolvers. These prices have cause the used market to go up also. Not that long ago you could buy M10 or about any .38 K frame for $200. Not any more!

You can get a good idea of values by tracking completed auctions on Gunbroker. Look at guns that actually changed hands. Most stuff listed on GB has a starting price that is to high IMHO, that's why they don't get any bids.
Old March 18, 2010, 01:39 PM   #7
BigJimP

I still see a number of used S&W's in .38's or .357 mag - in the
$500 - $750 price range / and pretty good values in my opinion for K frames that are in good shape - with Nickel models at the higher end, if they're clean.

N frames model 27's, 28's - are up around $ 800 - $1,000 especially the model 27's.

But for guns in very good condition / the prices are definitely up ...especially on popular dash numbers.

Auction sites on the internet scare me ....unless the seller has a brick and mortar store as well ...and you can reasonably verify the gun is actually in inventory. I see a number of listings on there / where the photo is something out of a catalog vs the actual weapon. I know you said you have some issues getting around lately - and that happens to all of us once in a while - but if you're itching to buy something / I'd have your friends go to a local store and help you out - email you a photo or something vs dealing with someone you don't know on the internet... Then at least - going to the trouble of getting to the store ( have your friend leave a deposit ) - and when you can make it, get over there and do all the paperwork on your gun ...is a better idea.
Old March 18, 2010, 01:48 PM   #8
aarondhgraham

Hello DogoDon,,

Nope,,, still not ragging on J&G.

The J&G site was always clear with the DAO specification.

I was just saying that I personally know of two people,,,
Relatively intelligent people I might add,,,
Who still missed the DAO part.

That post was more of an "In case you didn't notice" type warning.
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old March 18, 2010, 05:28 PM   #9
dgludwig

It can happen, especially if you enter the arena with certain preconceived notions. I know a man who came very, very close to buying a brand new two-wheel drive Cherokee (the car equivalent, I guess, of a dao revolver) because he just assumed...
Old March 18, 2010, 05:28 PM   #10
stevieboy

Here's a little something to think about when you're considering the price of S & W revolvers. They are a HUGE bargain when compared to even mid-level 1911s. Smiths are, IMO, the top of the line when it comes to production revolvers. Yet, you can still get almost any model Smith for well under $1000. Such a deal!
Old March 18, 2010, 05:45 PM   #11
longranger

I picked up a Mdl 19-3 just 2 mos. ago for $350.00 now their over $500.00 for similar gun in similar condition.You have to troll the auction sites and stores on the internet(like Bud's).The local gun store has a couple of beautiful 6" Mdl 10's for $400.00,might have to snag one!