The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 12, 2009, 03:20 PM   #1
DG45

A-5 magazine cutoff?

I have a Remington Model 11 shotgun. It is very much like the Browning A-5 shotgun. That makes sense since both guns were built on the same John Browning design. However, I'm told that there is one difference beyond the cosmetic differences of different buttplates, stampings, etc. The Browning A-5 incorporates a "magazine cutoff" and the Remington Model 11 does not. I plead ignorance to what this "magazine cutoff" is and does. Is it important? When is it used and how? What does it look like on the gun? Can someone post a photo of one on an A-5 so I can compare it against my Model 11?
Old October 12, 2009, 03:31 PM   #2
bentley998

MGAzine cutoff on Browning A-5

The cut-off appears as a small toggle on the left of receiver. When "on" and the bolt is operated a new shell is not fed into the chamber allowing you to change loads as desired. The unused shells remain in the magazine.

The Beneilli Nova has a similar feature however it is operated by a button on the underside of the forearm.
Old October 12, 2009, 09:17 PM   #3
RNB65

It's that little switch doohickey in the lower left corner of the receiver. It blocks the next shell in the mag from being loaded. The idea being that you can manually eject whatever shell is loaded and then manually load a shell with a different shot size if you get an uncontrollable urge.

Personally, I think it's the least used gadget in the history of shotgunning. I've never met anyone who actually used the thing. Ol' John Moses was a smart man but he reached a little too far on that one.
Old October 12, 2009, 09:28 PM   #4
mavracer

Quote:
Personally, I think it's the least used gadget in the history of shotgunning. I've never met anyone who actually used the thing. Ol' John Moses was a smart man but he reached a little too far on that one.
I use it all the time flip it on, shuck the shell out (bolt lockes back), get in the truck, go to the next field, get out of truck drop shell back in close bolt and turn of magazine cutoff.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old October 13, 2009, 12:17 AM   #5
DG45

Thanks to all for the easily understandable replies and photo. You guys are great. DG
Old October 13, 2009, 08:29 PM   #6
eagleno49

mavracer, in all of my infinite wisdom I never thought of using it for that.
brian
Old October 14, 2009, 02:01 AM   #7
impalacustom

Quote:
I use it all the time flip it on, shuck the shell out (bolt lockes back), get in the truck, go to the next field, get out of truck drop shell back in close bolt and turn of magazine cutoff.
That would be illegal in Nebraska, can't have any shells in the magazine unless your in the field.
Old October 14, 2009, 09:17 AM   #8
Willie Lowman

I use it to mess with my friends when we are shooting clays. Give them the Light-12 with the mag cutoff flipped and see if they can hit doubles.

Yeah, I'm a jerk.