The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 10, 2012, 01:33 PM   #51
mete

Originally here in NY we had the Northern White Tail .At a time when deer in the state were greatly reduced ,Virginia White Tails were intoduced. So we often have Northern/Virginia cross. It's probably like the PA, NY study recently that showed that 20 % of the coyotes have wolf genes ! That's what causes the 70 lb coyotes we see in the east.
I wish I had weighed my largest Sullivan Co deer ,it must have been at least 200 lbs live weight .I got steaks from the shoulder.
Old December 10, 2012, 02:07 PM   #52
Baba Louie

Some fine shooting sir.

Silhouette shooters place the rams at what, 200yds?

Chance favors the prepared mind. -- L. Pasteur
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old December 10, 2012, 02:46 PM   #53
Magnum Wheel Man

nice shooting... personally, I've never shot handgun at a deer over around 75 yards... yet... but you seem to have a handle on what you're doing... I've pretty much handgun hunted the last several years... If I want to "go up north" I can get into rifle zone, if I hunt local, I'm in shotgun zone, but we can use a handgun in the shotgun zone... I'll admit, I've never shot a deer with a revolver, but I almost exclusively use a Contender when hunting locally... my FIL, shot a nice doe in WI, 15 years ago, with a Dan Wesson 357 Super Mag, with a Luepold 4X scope on it, that I currently own... so I may have to try my luck with the ol Dan some year...

BTW... my current deer hunting rig, is a 10" custom 45 Colt barrel on a Contender, with Williams fiber optic sites... I shoot a pretty hot load, with those XTP's & have a load I can put 3 shots touching at 75 yards with a field rest... get about 3/4" expansion out of the 45 Colt XTP
Old December 10, 2012, 03:26 PM   #54
RedBowTies88

Quote:
No handgun hunting??? Even California lets you handgun hunt and that is saying alot. That's a shame. Your missing out on a great thrill, especially if your a Bowhunter and like a challenge when you pick up a gun to hunt with.
No handgun hunting here in NJ....or rifle for that matter. Just muzzle loaders and shotgun. In fact even taking your handgun into the woods with you for ANY reason is a felony...unless you both own and reside on said piece of land.

Awesome kill though. I was shooting a friends .41 mag at 200yards a while back just for giggles. Out of 2 cylinders I only hit the man sized target 2 times
Old December 10, 2012, 03:47 PM   #55
anothernewb

175 with open sights on a pistol? You, sir, are in a league beyond me. Congrats on a well placed shot.
Old December 10, 2012, 05:13 PM   #56
Mystro

My biggest bucks come from Sulivan County. I have ground there near Laporte. This doe was shot on the border of Clinton and Lycoming county. Sulivan county is where I shot my 240lbs 9point with a 25" measurement under the chin. Monster.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old December 10, 2012, 05:58 PM   #57
mete

Mystro. I'm in Sullivan Co NY not Sullivan Co PA I'm on the NY/PA border where I have watched deer and bear swim across the river , or walk across the bridge to keep dry !
Old December 10, 2012, 06:09 PM   #58
Mystro

The offical meat report is: 55lbs of venison baloney. This is before I add the pork. My doe from archery yelded 41 lbs of venison and we are down to out last 3 sticks. I am very picky and throw away all junk meat. Some people use their junk meat in baloney but our venison is top quality, low in fat and never gamie. For half the batch of baloney, I am adding a special milled cheddar that is designed for this purpose with a high melting point. If you like the beef and cheddar sticks, you will love this venison combo of baloney.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old December 10, 2012, 10:49 PM   #59
Tom Servo
Staff

Mystro, somewhere Elmer Keith is nodding in approval. That's a heck of a shot.
Old December 12, 2012, 09:03 PM   #60
Fleas

Nice one Mystro!

That is what I aspire to.

I think I get where you are coming from. I'm sure there was a time when you'd have passed on that shot - even in the same conditions. But this time, I have to think, you felt you were ready. And while definitely pushing the limits, def. not taking a pot shot; everything calculated in the instant before you squeezed off. A similar shot for me right now would be less than half that distance.
...but I'm practicing!

-F
Old December 16, 2012, 10:08 AM   #61
Mystro

As promised: I picked up 60lbs of venison baloney last night (1/2 batch hot and 1/2 batch hot with milled cheddar cheese through out.)
The bullet was recovered on the opposite side under the hide. It broke ribs, liquified the lungs and heart.. It shed its jacket and leaving lead pieces in a 6" hole of shrapnel. Pieces of lead were in the back bone. Obviously it was a explosive round dumping all its energy, even at 175 yards.
The 240 grain XTP bullet had a recovery weight of 127 grains.

My 44mag hunting load:
Powder AA#9 20.3 grains
Hornady XTP 240 JHP
CCI mag primer

Notice the smooth areas on the bullet face as it broke through bone.

http://www.hornady.com/team-hornady/...vid-aka-mystro

Last edited by Mystro; December 16, 2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old December 16, 2012, 10:17 AM   #62
Strafer Gott

I don't know if your last post will close more mouths or drop more jaws, Mystro. Looks like everything was performing that time.
Old December 16, 2012, 10:43 AM   #63
GP100man

My longest shot was 86yds with a 5.5" Redhawk many yrs ago now

Eyes are older & the Redhawk has a Burris 1.5X4 on it .

Under the same conditions with my rig , yes I would have taken the shot .

Being raised in the NC coastal swamps firearms exposure came early & when it was time for kinfolk to visit the stashed ammo came out .

We had fun & shot alot . One game was shooting across the feild at an old truck rim, it was fun walking the hits out to it then CLANG someone would have braggin rights as the first hit !!

As my exp increased I practiced more & main 100yd limit for some time !

Then as it is now priorities took my practice time & now I don`t have the eyes ,but I still have the heart & desire.

Congratulations Mystro on the succesful hunt & Great shot !!!

GP100man
Old December 16, 2012, 11:27 AM   #64
johnwilliamson062

Nice shot. If you are practicing it all the timeand hitting then you are good to go on the shot.

The bullet flight time was brought up, but that isn't the whole delay. How long does it take most of you to physically pull the trigger? On the inexpensive shotguns and muzzle loaders the triggers often have a long pull. How long process the decision to shoot and send the signal to your finger?
How long is it between when you consciously decide to fire and when that bullet hits the target, even with a shotgun at 40 yards?

How many of you, or more relevant general hunters, are going to take the shot from the moment you exhale? There might be 3-5 seconds in between the moment they exhale and when the bullet hits the deer.

I saw a guy shoot a doe with a scoped shotgun. Not a hunter. Shot a few slugs a year. He tracked the doe fine, then when he decided to shoot he stopped tracking. He didn't know how to shoot with the barrel moving b/c he had only practiced from a static position. Deer did not stop walking. Shot the deer in the hip. Cussed, pumped, and put a second shot in the kill zone without any issue at all. Then said something about not leading enough. The deer was walking and the shot was 35 yards.

My guess is that for some hunters the flight time is absolutely insignificant.
Old December 17, 2012, 06:18 AM   #65
Redhawk5.5+P+

That guy should play the lottery.
Old December 17, 2012, 04:17 PM   #66
GeauxTide

Congratulations. I've been practicing at 100 and can keep 6 on a pie plate, but 175 would be more than I'd dare. Well done.

Last edited by GeauxTide; December 17, 2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old December 17, 2012, 04:36 PM   #67
DFrame

Excellent shot. Congratulations on the hunt of a lifetime. You'll be telling your great grandkids about this one.