The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 4, 2012, 10:41 PM   #1
checkmyswag

cheap 308 bolt action/scope combo that works

I'd like iron sights.

I'm fine with a blued finish or whatever cheap flat black finishes are offered.

308, bolt action, with a scope.

Go.

How much am I looking to spend? As little as possible, but still end up with a quality "weapon system".
Old October 5, 2012, 02:58 AM   #2
bacardisteve

Its getting hard to find bolt actions with iron sights. The only thing cheap coming to mind right now is the savage hog hunter.
Old October 5, 2012, 08:57 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Good used bolt rifles are bending the shelves in the pawn shops. The economy, y'know.

Browse around, feel and fondle for proper fit to your body. If you find something you like, offer about half of what they're asking.
Old October 5, 2012, 09:14 PM   #4
ohen cepel

Both great inputs and what I would say. The Savage if you want new. However, take a ride and look at the used racks, I think you'll find a great deal if you look around some. Hunting rifles aren't selling well from my view.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old October 5, 2012, 09:53 PM   #5
4runnerman

As others posted,Pawn Shops around here are full to the hilt with rifles
Old October 6, 2012, 06:41 AM   #6
Metal god

Im not sure what cheap means but I would check out the Ruger American Rifle . It's less expenive but not cheaply made . OK the stock feels kinda cheap but the rest of it is good to go . I put a 3-9x40 Tasco world class scope on it and paid $400 out he door for the rifle and $60 for the scope

Does it work well ?

Federal gold metal match - 168gr @ 100yards

Here is my review on the gun . http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492169 there are some other sugestions in the thread as well

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 9, 2012, 05:51 PM   #7
cw308

Dicks sporting goods, has a sale on the Remington 700 Varmint & scope 449. with rebate. in calibers 308, 22-250 & 223. Good deal
Old October 9, 2012, 07:14 PM   #8
whiskyrunner

Cant help with the iron sights part, but wallmart has savage rifles on sale with a scope for $375, just bought one in .270 cal, every cal the gun comes in was the same price
Old October 10, 2012, 09:46 AM   #9
tobnpr

The Ruger American has gotten good reviews for the $$... but it's not available in short action yet (far as I know..)

Check out Dicks as mentioned, but IIRC my local Wally World has the 700 ADL package rifles at an even better price.
Old October 10, 2012, 10:10 AM   #10
Metal god

Ruger American

Mines a 308 and they have it in 243 as well as 270 and 30-06 So 2 short and 2 long

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 10, 2012, 10:12 AM   #11
learningcurve

I havent had a chance to fire it yet but last night after alot of driving around to my local pawn shops and lgs looking for used rifles, I went to walmart and saw the ruger american in 30-06 and since it was the display model I got it out the door for 325 plus tax. I fell in love with the trigger at a lgs when he let me try the trigger in a dry fire and the bolt can be worked with one finger and very little effort. I would highly recommend that rifle to be looked at. I was told it was rugers answer to the 770 and the axis models. They just didnt cut any of the same corners the other two had done. This has the adjustable trigger amoung other features. I am really impressed by this rifle and am really looking forward to finding some decent glass and taking it shooting.
Old October 10, 2012, 01:40 PM   #12
checkmyswag

Quote:
Good used bolt rifles are bending the shelves in the pawn shops. The economy, y'know.
I like the idea of finding one used. Can get a better quality one at a lower price than new. I figure most bolt action rifles aren't shot too much and should be in good shape.

Will keep my eye out for one at the gun stores. Suppose I should check out pawn shops. I'm a bit turned off on them as the one time I tried to look at a pawn shop recently they had a used Taurus pistol for about $800.

Will check out gunbroker on the interwebs. Perhaps can even find one of these newer rifles, like the Ruger American used, aka "new" to me.
Old October 10, 2012, 02:48 PM   #13
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
There's a used one on GunBroker right now , $299.99 with no bids and 3 hours left . The seller seems to be running a 24 Hr. auction with auto relist .
Old October 10, 2012, 05:18 PM   #14
TheNatureBoy

Hey Metal god, how dare you shoot a group like that with a $460 dollar rig. Repent ye sinner
Old October 10, 2012, 10:01 PM   #15
checkmyswag

Academy has some 308 bolt guns for $280 and $300. Pretty impressed at these low prices.

Gun plus decent scope for $400. Would help me get into the 308 bolt gun instead of waiting for my ideal setup...which I'll probably do later and regret buying the cheaper one. Can I get an amen!?

That Ruger American Rifle looks great and that's a heck of a group.