The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 4, 2012, 02:33 PM   #1
PAngell

Looking for help with Identification of early 1900s hammerless revolver

This was my great uncle's fathers gun. After some research I have found that it looks like a S&W model 5 .38 but the trigger is too different for me to say thats what it is. I have also looked at H&Rs and some other guns from around the time and have found nothing that I can say it is. I have been unable to find any markings or serial numbers what so ever on the gun at all. I am posting pictures in hopes someone might have the answer I am looking for.

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4
Picture 5
Old July 4, 2012, 03:22 PM   #2
RJay

Maybe you have already looked, are there no markings under the grip or the cylinder face?
Old July 4, 2012, 04:18 PM   #3
SDC

GECO (Gustav Genschow), out of Germany, also sold a number of copies of these hammerless "lemon-squeezer safety"-style revolvers, in various calibres; if you see any German proofs on the rear of the cylinder, that would be my best guess.
Old July 4, 2012, 04:54 PM   #4
Jim Watson

That gun shows up in Zhuk, identical right down to the odd shaped sideplate and cut of the trigger.
He shows it as a Spanish copy of the S&W Safety Hammerless .38, out of Eibar like so many others. But unfortunately did not know the maker.

For sale in the 1911 Alfa catalogue, but only as "System Smith & Wesson" no actual maker named.
Old July 4, 2012, 08:11 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

FWIW, I would agree on the Spanish origin. Those guns were earlier than the flood of Spanish guns post WWI, but still were imported in large quantities and sold at very low prices.

Unfortunately, in this case, age does not add up to value in dollar terms, but as an heirloom, the gun is priceless.

Jim
Old July 5, 2012, 07:53 PM   #6
LkWd_Don

Sorry I can't be of much help.. I can say what it isn't.

Though what you have looks a lot like a S&W Safety Hammerless Mod 4 as it has a pinned front sight, the trigger on what you have is not even close, so that rules the S&W line out and also rules out an Ivar Johnson(though the trigger on an I-J is closer to what you have).

The S&W models would have Smith & Wession stamped along the Left side of the barrel, a S&W logo on the right side and caliber on right of barrel. See picture links below

Link to a picture of the S&W Safeties: http://www.armchairgunshow.com/image...Hless-Mods.jpg

Mod 4 with pearl handles Right Hand view.
http://www.armchairgunshow.com/image...5926-giron.jpg

Tags
hammerless , identification , revolver