The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 29, 2011, 03:44 PM   #1
BarryLee

Atlanta Gun Sting

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/unde...ts-992382.html

An undercover operation in Atlanta resulted in the arrest of 49 suspects and the recovery of 400 firearms. To me this is the type of operation that we should be focused on which targets criminals who have guns. Most of the guns were stolen and the individuals were involved in a variety of other crimes.

This seems much more productive than focusing on legitimate business owners or elaborate multi-country stings that cannot be managed properly. We know most gun crime is committed by persons who acquire guns illegally, so let’s focus on them. I know the theory has been to focus on the source, but the Chief of Police admitted the source is robbery.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 29, 2011, 05:00 PM   #2
Patriot86

That is exactly what the ATF and other officials should be doing. The "gun violence" problem can be solved with existing laws, we do not need "new laws" we just need to enforce the ones we have.
Old June 29, 2011, 05:26 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

You'll be happy and relieved to know that all 400 of those firearms have been sent to Mexico in an effort to combat crime there...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 29, 2011, 06:17 PM   #4
BarryLee

When I watched the news they ran the same story and the reporter stated, “… a large percentage were automatic weapons…”. Well, I have not seen a detailed inventory, and I realize that in theory there could have been some automatic weapons involved. However, it is more likely he was referring to semi-automatic weapons.

I always wonder when politicians, community organizers, and media types make this common misstatement is it an intentional ploy to deceive the public or simply intellectual laziness.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 29, 2011, 09:43 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryLee
I always wonder when politicians, community organizers, and media types make this common misstatement is it an intentional ploy to deceive the public or simply intellectual laziness.
Neither.

It is proof that the Brady brainwashing campaign has been fruitful. The anti's have taken the high ground, in so abusing terminology that most people who are not "gunnies" simply do not know the difference between "automatic" and "semi-automatic," and do not know that only automatic rifles are "assault rifles."
Old June 29, 2011, 11:41 PM   #6
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
However, it is more likely he was referring to semi-automatic weapons.
Actually, there are quite a few converted weapons on the streets in Atlanta. Most don't work well, or for long, but somebody's got a cottage industry going rigging up stuff.

Quote:
You'll be happy and relieved to know that all 400 of those firearms have been sent to Mexico in an effort to combat crime there...
Yep, in fact, I participated. At the behest of Chris Cox, I rounded up some folks from the local Friends of NRA, and we packed them up and drove them to Tijuana. Don't tell the Washington Post.
Old June 30, 2011, 10:00 AM   #7
scud

a unjust law can make ANYONE a criminal @ least legally.:barf:
Old June 30, 2011, 01:06 PM   #8
BarryLee

You know after thinking about this a little more something occurred to me. The BATFE set up this store and put the word out that they would purchase stolen firearms. Then the criminals went out and stole guns to sell to the store. So, if the sting had never existed would the guns have been stolen in the first place? Who knows for sure, but it is something interesting to consider.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 1, 2011, 08:10 AM   #9
Uncle Buck

Barry Lee, interesting question. But I think the guns would have been stolen anyways.

I am sure one of the defendants lawyers will call this sting an effort to entrap people. But you can not entrap people who would obey the law.