The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 28, 2018, 09:28 PM   #26
Kreyzhorse

A Ruger Blackhawk 45 convertible.
Old February 28, 2018, 09:43 PM   #27
Pathfinder45

My first 45 was a Blackhawk convertible back in 1976. Like 44AMP, I never used the 45ACP cylinder. But that's because I reloaded and cast my own bullets from the very beginning. If you don't reload, a 22 rimfire would be a much better choice unless you make a lot more money than I do.
Old March 1, 2018, 12:38 AM   #28
Water-Man

If I drop the requirement of adjustable rear sights, what would you recommend other than the Ruger Vaquero?
Old March 1, 2018, 06:59 AM   #29
Roaddog

I would look at the S&W M-25.You have a swingout silender,ajusruble sights and a gun that will not role back in your habd like a sa will.Not that the rolback is bad.That's what they should do.The M-25 is a DA and reciole not as hard on the hand and nicer ot shoot.
Just something to think abought.
Old March 1, 2018, 08:32 AM   #30
GeauxTide

I've also owned Blackhawks since the 70s. With your outline, I would also go with the Convertible. If you get to loading (a must if you want to shoot the awesome HC lead bullets out there), the mid frame will digest 20k loads.
Old March 1, 2018, 10:59 AM   #31
Real Gun

I would not get a convertible until I had verified the throat size on the 45 Colt cylinder, assuming use of lead bullets. One I had was .454. If tight, at least you have something to work with in getting it reamed.
Old March 1, 2018, 01:17 PM   #32
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
If I drop the requirement of adjustable rear sights, what would you recommend other than the Ruger Vaquero?
The Ruger New Vaquero.

A bit of explanation is needed here. Over the years, Ruger has made a number of different revolvers using the same name, or a very similar name.

There are a couple of different frame sizes and styles that are named "Blackhawk". The one I'm talking about is the large frame (also called the "44 frame" by shooters) with a pronounced "hump" on the top of the frame for the rear sight. There is also a smaller, "flat top" frame that has been made, so there is possible confusion there.

Ruger made the "Vaquero", a fixed sight version of the Blackhawk. It has the smooth topstrap like the Colt. It was built on the large frame. (and it was made in several calibers, including 44 mag)

After about a decade or so, Ruger stopped making the Vaquero. It was replaced with a SMALLER framed gun, which in their wisdom, Ruger named the NEW VAQUERO.

This is something you need to understand, and something that often causes confusion in conversation. The gun currently in production is named NEW VAQUERO, and says that on it. It is NOT a new VAQUERO, it is the NEW VAQUERO model. The older, larger frame gun that is out of production is just the "Vaquero", and is so marked. The current production gun, which is smaller (same size as the Colt SAA) is the NEW VAQUERO. They are not the same guns.

I have a 5.5" barrel NEW VAQUERO in .45 Colt. I also have a 4 5/8" barrel VAQUERO in .45 Colt. Placed side by side the guns are almost exactly the same overall height and length. (I'd show you a pic but Photobucket ate them grrr)

Despite the almost 1" difference in barrel length the two guns are the same length overall, due to the difference in the frame sizes.

I'm a big fan of having adjustable sights. I had a stainless 7.5" Ruger Vaquero in .44 Mag. Great gun, but I wound up trading it for a Super Blackhawk (7.5") because I wanted adjustable sights.

Go to a shop (or a range) where you can handle different makes of SA, see which one(s) feel best to you. Nothing wrong with original Colt (other than $$$$), and there are many "clones" some with slightly different features.

If you want the old west look, there are many guns for that. If you want the best gun for shooting, and value, in my opinion that's the Ruger Blackhawk.

If you want the best SA possible, and price doesn't matter, look at Freedom Arms.

Get what you WANT, not what someone else says is better or best. Don't be bullied by "traditionalists". Their favorites are fine for them, but you should make your own choice, as I do.

A friend of mine has a collection of Colts. I've spent 35 years with the large frame Rugers, and his Colts seem small and fragile in my hands. He finds my Rugers "big and clumsy". Everyone has their own preferences.

Handle some different guns, shoot them, if possible, then you've got something more than well meant internet advice to base your decisions on.

Good Luck, and let us know what you decide on.

Oh, one more point, don't let the stock factory grips be the make it or break it issue for the gun in question. Aftermarket grips of different sizes and shapes abound. Other than my Single Six (.22) all my "working" Blackhawks wear oversize rubber grips (ok, one is oversize wood)... because they fit my hand better.

Traditionalists see that as some kind of blasphemy, but I didn't buy my guns (and grips) to please their sense of esthetics. I bought them to work their best, for ME.
Old March 1, 2018, 01:46 PM   #33
Real Gun

Quote:
Now there I can offer that I own both a New Vaquero and an Uberti El Patron (Belleza), a Colt SAA clone. Both are 5.5" barrels.

It took a couple visits to my gunsmith to get the New Vaquero running right, but it's great now. It's kind of dumb that a 45 Colt cowboy style gun is not dimensioned for lead bullets. Of the two, I favor the Uberti, totally stock. There is something about that Colt style click that is very seductive.

I usually shoot at 50 feet and struggle a bit with eye sight and still get very good results with both guns. I will say though that the Ruger will handle heavier loads, since it is offered in 45ACP convertible at 23k psi max rating. The truly heavy 45 Colt loads are not meant for these guns.
Old March 1, 2018, 03:31 PM   #34
RickB

Quote:
I have never owned a single shot revolver either. (Somebody had to say it.)

Ruger Blackhawk.
Agree on convertible with ACP cylinder.
Old March 1, 2018, 06:23 PM   #35
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I have never owned a single shot revolver either. (Somebody had to say it.)
never owned one either, but have seen one. The Ruger Hawkeye.

Give the OP a break, we all know what he meant.
Old March 1, 2018, 06:39 PM   #36
fourbore

The OP words
Quote:
Quality at a reasonable price. Adjustable rear sight. Ability to handle warm, not hot, loads.

I have a 45 Blackhawk convertable. It the same grip frame as the single six 22. I installed the pachmayer signature same as others. I dont know if that grip is made. I found new old stock on ebay. That was a must for me. It is a child's grip. And, yes, I got the 5.5" barrel - perfection in my eyes.

I was told the bore diameter mumbo/jumbo that gun would not shoot with one cylinder as well as the other. I tested the gun at 25 yards with 5 shot groups. My best group was 1 inch. The worse was 3 inch. As I shot long enough, I concluded the 45LC was same accuracy as the 45ACP. The ACP is a fraction of the ammo cost. My typical and average was 2" at 25 yards off the rest.

I think you are going to spend some serious money to beat that. I dont remember exactly, but; the point of impact was also pretty darn close. The 45acp was ball ammo and the 45LC was jacketed 225gr HP. Those were both federal. There maybe some sweet spot favorite load but this is good enough for the shooting I plan to do.

Lets, see there were a few hickups. One was the pin backed out that holds the rear sight. I had to bend it and drive it back in. The grip frame is painted not anodized aluminum. It chips real easy. Mine at the factory before it went in the box. There was a gap where plastic grip meets the frame. I replaced the grip - that was a non issue. I think you can find good prices on these used. Hint.

In retrospect, I wish I got one in stainless. I was thinking more traditional. The stainless may even have the larger dragoon size grip. AND- Not painted aluminum, that for sure.

Last edited by fourbore; March 1, 2018 at 08:42 PM.
Old March 1, 2018, 08:15 PM   #37
SaxonPig

The Rugers are well made and sturdy. You will never be unhappy with one. Unless you desire a traditional design.

The Italian clones are usually very good and a great value. I've owned a number with no complaints.

The genuine Colts are very pricey. Personally, I think they are worth the extra cost. Last year I sold all my SAA clones and bought genuine Colts. If you only plan on having one, I would spend the money and get the real deal. If you want a shooter and a used one will work, sometimes you see one of the many various "Commemorative Models" that have been used as shooters at good prices. I bought two such SAAs. Both are in 45 Colt.

Old March 1, 2018, 09:01 PM   #38
tallball

If the OP chooses a Blackhawk, used is a good way to go. They are heavy-duty revolvers. My used ones are 40ish years old, been shot a lot, and still work fine.
Old March 2, 2018, 09:45 AM   #39
Real Gun

Quote:
The Rugers are well made and sturdy. You will never be unhappy with one.
However, 45 Colt can be problematic. You have to know what the throat diameters are, that they are uniform, and that the diameter is well matched with the bore diameter. Otherwise you fight with leading, accuracy, and bullet specs from day one. Most of my Rugers have had cylinder issues, and anyone else's varying experience doesn't change that. It is a real risk. I don't think Ruger makes their own cylinders, so they don't have complete control over the quality and obviously don't fully inspect them. I don't believe assemblers are expected to check such things.
Old March 2, 2018, 11:00 AM   #40
Water-Man

Real Gun,

Are you familiar with the Taylor Smoke Wagon Deluxe? I've read that it is an Uberti that Taylor 'customized'.
Old March 2, 2018, 11:14 AM   #41
Real Gun

I have a couple Taylor's guns and they are by Uberti, with nearly identical models under varying names with other distributor's, some element to make them exclusive. One has grip checkering that I don't see on any other Uberti distributor's version or anything similar from Pietta. I think the differences are always cosmetic, maybe a hammer style, grip, or finish, some CNC engraving. The 45 Colt sizes appear to be built on the same Colt SAA reproduction platform.
Old March 2, 2018, 01:09 PM   #42
fourbore

Quote:
I would look for an Uberti 1873 with spur hammer and 4 clicks. I dont know if they still make it that way. You can find them used. Basically a 5 shot. True old time revolver.

here is a link to the new Uberti

https://www.uberti-usa.com/1873-sing...eman-revolvers

Good luck finding a photo of a gun with the hammer back. I think the gun has been updated to be little more than a cosmetic copy. I would say the best option is a used Uberti from back when they did authentic copies.
Old March 4, 2018, 09:37 AM   #43
Rafsob

this is a new Ruger model black hawk in .44 special. You should be able to get it in .45 Colt. It is just one of many SAA revolvers I own. Most all of them are in .45 Colt.

Old March 4, 2018, 09:51 AM   #44
Real Gun

Except that Flat Tops are not available in 45 Colt, which requires the larger frame. Looks like you have a Belt Mountain base pin going there.
Old March 4, 2018, 11:37 AM   #45
stinkeypete

The Ruger Bisley grip fits my hand well. The Ruger is heavy, and that tames recoil, too.

In .45 Colt, you’ll pretty much almost need to hand load but if you haven’t done it, .45 Colt is super easy for us old guys. It’s not fussy and the parts are big.

I always shot .45 and my dad always shot .44. As he got older, he started running .44 Special because it didn’t punish him and is itself a grand cartridge with a fine history and made his Blackhawk .44 magnums enjoyable again for him.

Back to reloading .45 Colt... I bet I could get rid of all my gear except for the Lee red canister, a single stage press and a can of 2400.
Old March 4, 2018, 10:48 PM   #46
Crunchy Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Gun View Post
Except that Flat Tops are not available in 45 Colt, which requires the larger frame. Looks like you have a Belt Mountain base pin going there.
Lipsey's offers a Flattop Blackhawk convertible .45 Colt/.45 ACP.

http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=RUNVB-44X
Old March 5, 2018, 08:41 AM   #47
Real Gun

Quote:
Lipsey's offers a Flattop Blackhawk convertible .45 Colt/.45 ACP.
That's good to know. I don't care about the convertible part but would be very interested in one of their 5.5" barrel models, probably blued. I would want to confirm that it includes the usual "flat top" feature of indexing on the loading gate. I have three other flat tops in 44 Special, 44 Magnum, and 41 Magnum, the latter two with 6 1/2" barrels. Lipsey's $929 price tag is not very encouraging though.

I don't push flat tops too hard, but I would use the 45 for Tier II loadings in 45 Colt, substantially beyond standard pressure for older guns or in that style. I used to have a 45 NMBH 45 convertible, but the throats were too big, and Ruger support was rude when I asked if they could fit a new cylinder with tighter throats.
Old March 5, 2018, 08:54 AM   #48
fourbore

That Lipsey is a very nice option for WaterMan requirement. The grips on any single action can be on the small side for big hands or moderate power loads. I am the proud owner of an original flat top. it is a hard gun to shoot with more than 44 special loads. For me.

A good solution to the reloading & ammo cost is the 45 acp cylinder. And, if it is not, I would like to hear some real bench tested accuracy numbers on how other (recent) ruger convertible shoot. I stuck my neck out and posted numbers and expectations.

I will also add, Ruger has just broke my heart on numerous occasions. I eventually get over it and keep going back. I absolutely believe any warning about chambers or barrel diameter, all that. Did I get lucky or do the convertibles work? Maybe they changed? Or as is often the case, they VARY
Old March 5, 2018, 09:29 AM   #49
Schlitz 45

I'm liking my Ruger New Vaquero more & more. Took it out yesterday morning & shot it much better than my first time out, still not close to my auto pistol groups but at least I'm keeping 6 shots on a 9" paper plate one hand from 25'. I've been practicing at home dry firing with a laser bore site fitted in the muzzle & it helped a lot with getting the site picture in my minds eye when I went back out in the field. I have a whole new respect for those old timers in the 1800's being able to shoot these SSA style guns accurately.
Old March 5, 2018, 09:39 AM   #50
Real Gun

I wouldn't let Hollywood make you believe that guns of the Old West were only shot with one hand. You do whatever it takes to have a sight picture as steady as possible before thinking about squeezing the trigger. I think 9" at 50 feet would tell a better story.