The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 26, 2018, 12:49 PM   #1
Rothdel

Taurus Thunderbolt

Well think I just got a project.

Went into my LGS this weekend to pick up a Henry I ordered. Sitting behind the counter was a stainless Thunderbolt in 357. Did not even realize Taurus made such a thing. Serial number starts with a BR so its not one of the late runs which based on reviews online I have about a 50/50 chance of getting one that functions.

I picked it up for essentially nothing. I have purchased a ton from this gun shop over the years and they know my preference for revolver cartridges and offered a stupid deal just to get rid of it.

Cant wait to see how good or more than likely bad this thing is. It sure looks nice though.
Old February 26, 2018, 08:05 PM   #2
Kvon2

Pretty cool and sounds like you got it pretty cheap.

I'm really interested in late 19th century arms recently, may just have to keep an eye out for one of these too.

Let us know how it functions.
Old February 26, 2018, 08:42 PM   #3
Ibmikey

Rots o ruck in the function department, I had one in .45 that would not function for more than a round or two...sent it to Taurus, waited the ridiculous amount of time they require and upon return had the same feed problems. I hope your rifle functions 100%.
Old February 27, 2018, 12:37 AM   #4
10-96

Does anyone remember when those first came out from Taurus? The first ones out got a rep for pushing a considerable amount of gas back into the shooters face. I had trouble wrapping my brain around that because the case should have sealed up the chamber, but I think I'd be double sure on the safety glasses until you're sure of it's habits.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old February 27, 2018, 07:52 AM   #5
Rothdel

I wear glasses to see so that's not an issue. Might as well be closing my eyes and using the force if I didn't wear them so blow back hopefully wont be that much of a problem.

I did read in several reviews that the blow back issue had more to do with CAS shooters using lighter loads that did not have enough force to completely seal upon firing. Not sure I buy that as an explanation but I guess I will find out. I don't have any cowboy action 357/38 but might pick some up to see if there is any difference when using them in this rifle.

Like I said not expecting a whole lot here. If I get one that shoots bonus especially since I have no intention of doing anything with it other than range plinking. Its not like my life will be relying on this gun in a self defense or hunting situation (IE boar or something similar). If it does not work I have a curiosity that looks nice. My wife has paintings that only serve one of those two functions and cost a heck of a lot more than this.
Old February 27, 2018, 01:54 PM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
I did read in several reviews that the blow back issue had more to do with CAS shooters using lighter loads that did not have enough force to completely seal upon firing. Not sure I buy that as an explanation but I guess I will find out. I don't have any cowboy action 357/38 but might pick some up to see if there is any difference when using them in this rifle.
A lot of CAS shooters use loads lighter than anything you can buy.
Old February 27, 2018, 09:00 PM   #7
Ibmikey

At the time I had mine I used my cowboy loads in it but I do not load light ( after all the cowboys didn’t) and normally in 44-40. The .45 in the Taurus did have a lot of blow by but that is the nature of using .45 in a carbine, the straight case does not seal as a bottle neck case like the 44-40. I tried a variety of bullet shapes, weights and seating depth but could not make it reliable. I know of several other Taurus pumps that have the same problem, if yours works be sure to share your happiness.
Old February 28, 2018, 08:42 AM   #8
hodaka

I bought one in .45 new in 2005 or so. I like it although, as described above, it is not the most reliable rifle you can buy. It does have some blowback and the action will get dirty quickly which causes some of the unreliability. It likes to be cleaned and I tend to lube it pretty well. It is a lot of fun and if you got a good deal you will have some fun with it. I shoot reloads, 250 grain lead coated bullets with Unique.