The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 18, 2017, 08:09 AM   #51
F. Guffey

Quote:
though I forget the price. The Body Die will allow you to size the body of the case and the shoulder
When the die became available reloaders thought the die sized the body of the case without touching the shoulder of the case. I have no ideal how the die became a 'body' die, I was sizing cases without sizing the neck of the case for many years before the bushing die, and? there was no extra cost beyond using a die I had already paid for.

Bushing dies: A neighbor/disciplined reloader asked me to alter a few dies for him. He has the only dies I know of that are a true bushing dies, and they are old; the dies have to be 55+ years old. The only way to get a set of the dies was to have a rifle built by the smith. My neighbor was his apprentice.

F. Guffey
Old March 14, 2018, 09:20 PM   #52
NorthernBlue

I know this is old, but photos make everything better right?

It doesn't work. It resizes the bullet, which is then too small for the bore and you lose neck tension.

I had rounds loaded for my factory Ruger AR556. The round worked well in it. I build a 2nd rifle with a 14.5" lightweight barrel so I bumped the AR556 upto an 18" barrel. Both new barrels (Ballistic Advantage and a KAK) were 5.56 chambers. Neither would work the my loaded rounds, the headspace was too tight. I guess the factory AR556 chamber had a lot of head space. So I tried to just resized the loaded ammo....the results speak for themselves. This is 50 yards.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/41EoEQCwxWrzLjx23