The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 6, 2010, 07:20 PM   #26
RETG

Quote:
YES!!!!

If you can cover all my legal fees and loss of wages while this is going on, I'll do it. For now I have to attend to boring things like paying my mortgage. I've told my friends that if I were to become independently wealthy, I'd become Mr "Test Case".
You are the one who implied this is not illegal not me, drawing from your personal experience and research; per your statement. So, I assumed you know you will not be found guilty if you are found carrying a weapon into a PO. So, why should I pay? I'm just challenging you to put your money where your mouth is, but I see it is just the typical Internet law expert talking but not willing to back it up.

But I will say that I do believe this could vary from one post master to another. In some small towns, I would bet it would be overlooked, while in some towns, you could end up behind bars.

Knowing the post master in a small town in TN I used to live in, I believe he would have let it slide if you were a known local. Can't say that for sure, just the impression I got from talking with him. In fact, I would almost say he was carrying half the time himself.
Old May 6, 2010, 10:30 PM   #27
apr1775

Quote:
You are the one who implied this is not illegal not me, drawing from your personal experience and research; per your statement. So, I assumed you know you will not be found guilty if you are found carrying a weapon into a PO. So, why should I pay? I'm just challenging you to put your money where your mouth is, but I see it is just the typical Internet law expert talking but not willing to back it up.
The term "test CASE" implies that it will go to trial. Even if not convicted, there are legal fees and time away from work. I do "put my money where my mouth is" as I have numerous times carried in the post office. I just do it in a manner not to draw attention to the issue. To be a "test case", I would have to bring enough attention to the issue to cause legal action against me.
Old May 7, 2010, 12:39 PM   #28
bikerbill

no restrictions in TX on carrying in banks unless they are posted with the dreaded 30.06 sign as required by law. No carry in Post Office buildings ANYWHERE in the U.S. by federal law. Carrying in polling places is prohibited, I believe, in Texas; mite be a state-by-state thing.
Old May 7, 2010, 01:47 PM   #29
Edward429451

Quote:
I would have to bring enough attention to the issue to cause legal action against me.
and that's the rub. I don't think there's any way to win. I have studied the Constitution and how that stuff works and the legal reality is that you are not standing in the united states where your rights are in effect when you are in a Federal building or in D.C.. You are in the United States, if you realize the distinction. It is private property and the owners are allowed to make the rules. Just like you can on your property.
Old May 7, 2010, 10:59 PM   #30
WoofersInc

Nevada has no restrictions on carrying in a bank.

Funny story. I was in a bank to cash a check drawn on that bank. Since I didn't have an account the teller asked for 2 pieces of ID. I handed her my drivers liscence, and my carry permit since those were the only 2 I had with photos. She looked at my permit, and flipped it over to look at the back. (Nevada has the guns listed on the back of the permit that you are qualified to carry) She asked me which one I had on me at the time. I told her my Kimber 1911, and she smiled and said nice choice.. Finished up my transaction with no issues.
Old May 8, 2010, 07:17 AM   #31
blume357

unless on 'Official Business'.....

Every time I go to my post office I'm there on 'Official Business'.

I don't go there to socialize or meet with folks I only go to buy stamps, drop mail in their collection box and check my post office box.

before folks get their britches wadded up... I fully agree that the postal police and the judges probably would not define that term the same way.....

I'll never figure out lawyering and their logic. From past history why not just make it illegal for postal employees or ex employees to carry in a post office or on post office grounds since that is where all the problems have come from.... where is there an instance of one regular citizen going postal in a post office?