The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 26, 2018, 12:11 AM   #1
HisSoldier

Savage 87A "Bumper" spring.

Got an old clackity clack given to me, and having spent much time and money so far I have it to where it fires 2 out of 10 rounds without help. I finally looked at the feed ramp on the barrel and saw gouges in it.
So I punched the pins out to remove the barrel, and polished that ramp.

But in the process of removing the barrel the bumper fell out and went into hiding immediately, much time on my hands and knees later I found it, not on the floor but higher on a shelf! (I'm thankful to have found it at all, making a new one would mean heat treating W-1 by the looks of it, and it's hard to make a part without a sample)

But I knew there was a spring somewhere that holds the bumper down, and I think I found it too, on the bench.

But I can't figure out where it fits! Anyone know?
Thanks,
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old January 26, 2018, 01:26 AM   #2
HisSoldier

Ok, I found the vertical blind hole above the bumper in the receiver. Lost the spring but got one out of an assortment of gunsmiths springs. I reassembled the gill gun and now she fired 4 shots in a row correctly.

I'm bound and determined to make it run right! One problem, I had to replace the recoil spring at the back of the hammer, so it's stiff and sometime the bolt doesn't pick up the next shot, I'll try high velocity ammo next.

Worst case I'll buy another one if the refund is guaranteed, I'll never pay again for a gun that doesn't work (But this one was free.)

The little lifter was bent slightly towards the ejection side and therefore it tended to kick the upcoming rounds to the back of the receiver, that's a picky little piece of flatstock. I bent it the other way ever so slightly but the rifle had that that feed ramp problem, so I may revisit that attempt.

I was wondering if I could silver solder a little round bottomed tray on the top front to force the center of the bullets to the center of the chamber.
Any sincere input is greatly appreciated. The left hand extractor spring appears to be right, that is slightly weaker spring than the left one, it ejects nicely.

The problem seems to be getting the rounds into the chamber.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old January 26, 2018, 10:47 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

BTW, try standard velocity 22 LR and not high velocity.
Old January 27, 2018, 12:37 AM   #4
tangolima

So you have put that bullet guide (bumper) back in place? I have never pulled the barrel, so haven't taken out and put back the bullet guide. But it shouldn't be too hard. The guide hinges in the pocket so there is a little up and down slag. That slag is taken up the spring.

I don't think soldering a piece of metal in lieu of a real bullet guide is a good idea though.

The carrier is under a pretty strong spring, when installed correctly. It lifts up a fresh round and press it under the feed lips for a correct nose-up attitude. Installing that spring could be tricky.

The hammer spring and the bolt spring are available from numrich.

I'm not an expert. I just happen to have one 87A. Perhaps we can help each other out down the road.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old January 27, 2018, 10:56 AM   #5
Hawg

My 87B likes CCI Mini Mags. It will run all day with them. With anything else it will hang up once in awhile.
Old January 29, 2018, 01:45 PM   #6
HisSoldier

Well, I bubba'd the rifle I guess. I'm not a quitter but this has just about busted my resolve.
I put a smaller spring inside the 1/8" diameter bumper spring to increase the pressure, as the up coming bullet noses seemed to be pushing the bumper up so that the noses were snagging on the chamber mouth's upper sharp edges.
I carefully rounded the upper chamber mouth edges, very slightly, and it seemed to get worse!
I noticed that the rims were getting stuck down below the extractors, not sliding up behind the hooks, so I took them out and carefully rounded the contact edges of them.
Now it won't even shoot even one round and load the next.

I think, to be stubborn, I'm going to buy another one, since I have no idea what a good shooter looks like inside. Then I'll make the old rifle look the same, even if I have to swap out every major part!

Before anyone accuses me of destroying it please remember that the rifle had been marred internally, and had missing parts, before I ever saw it. It has been a sad hobby trying to get it to run right, and 90% of the time I can get a poorly operating auto loader running.

Quitting would be setting a bad precedent, so I'll kick back, buy a functioning rifle, and slowly compare everything.