The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 22, 2019, 02:22 PM   #1
JERRYS.

talk me into keeping a 3" 1911

I don't have any spare money and I've been wanting one of those Beretta mod. 81 .32acp really bad. I have a 3" Kimber *ultra carry II that has seen some use but now just sits in the safe.....

this is NOT a.32acp vs. .45acp debate.

I have several handguns but the mini 1911 is the least used/carried. the Beretta 81 would get use as a house gun for my daughter plus I just like the .32acp round. I could "save up" but the pool will be dry by then I fear on the Berettas and or the prices will be considerably higher.

I have a G21 for my .45acp needs, so should the Kimber mini 1911 go or should I sit this one out to make sure its just not a fad which would lead to buyer's remorse?

Last edited by JERRYS.; August 23, 2019 at 08:10 PM. Reason: *Ultra, Keeping
Old August 22, 2019, 03:15 PM   #2
Tallest

I think you know the answer. The safe inmate needs to go. The Beretta has a cool factor that a petite 1911 simply cannot. And if you aren't using it, put your assets where they'll get the most traffic!

I don't think you'll have any buyers remorse. At least I wouldn't.

"This is God's universe, and he has a plan. You might think that you have a better plan, but you don't have a universe." - Dr. J.V. McGee
Old August 22, 2019, 04:45 PM   #3
Targa

My brother has the same Kimber, its a great looking, nice little shooter but it is certainly in no danger of being a collectible. I would go with the Beretta if I weren’t using the Kimber much, life’s to short for a paperweight.... If you miss the Kimber you can always get another one down the road.
Old August 22, 2019, 05:16 PM   #4
joed

Big Kimber fan here, have a Pro Carry II. Had one Beretta, a 92f. I hated the Beretta, it was very inaccurate.

You know which one I would keep.
Old August 22, 2019, 05:36 PM   #5
briandg

I have two words for you.

Home equity loan.
Old August 22, 2019, 05:55 PM   #6
jmr40

Quote:
talk me into kepping a 3" 1911
Nope, I won't do it. Set it free!

Winston Churchill
Old August 22, 2019, 06:09 PM   #7
Chui

Sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 22, 2019, 06:30 PM   #8
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
I don't have any spare money and I've been wanting one of those Beretta mod. 81 .32acp really bad. I have a 3" Kimber *ultra carry II that has seen some use but now just sits in the safe.....

I have several handguns but the mini 1911 is the least used/carried. the Beretta 81 would get use as a house gun for my daughter plus I just like the .32acp round. I could "save up" but the pool will be dry by then I fear on the Berettas and or the prices will be considerably higher.

I have a G21 for my .45acp needs, so should the Kimber mini 1911 go or should I sit this one out to make sure its just not a fad which would lead to buyer's remorse?
Go.

Little used, needs otherwise covered. Stubby 1911s are easy enough to aquire, if the itch strikes again. It's trade fodder. Let someone else "enjoy" it.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 22, 2019, 06:33 PM   #9
smee78

I also would sell the 3". I had a Springfield V10 stainless 3" that was nice but it was heavier than my Kimber Pro Carry 2 that is commander sized. I never carried it and finally sent it down the road.

I also got one of the Beretta 81's and am happy with it. Cant wait to get the new one to the range.
Old August 22, 2019, 06:34 PM   #10
JERRYS.

alright folks. after I finish working this weekend I will start looking at the pawn/gun shops near me to see what other goodies they have in the case.... if I see a Beretta 81 .32 it will traded on the spot. otherwise I will just be window shopping for a while.

I really thought there would be more of a following for the mini 1911s here.

thanks.
Old August 22, 2019, 06:54 PM   #11
smee78

If your local area places have law-a-way that may also be an option?
Old August 22, 2019, 06:56 PM   #12
Metric

I'm not one to sell much, for two reasons. 1) General principle -- the remorse is usually more than you expect. 2) The sale process is usually a total PITA unless you take a hit on the price.

However, there are exceptional cases, and this one may very well qualify. Go to gunbroker and take a look at recent sale prices of older/used 81's. Eventually (let's say after a couple years), the nicer surplus ones should approach that price level. I'd much rather be holding onto two hand-select 81's right now than one generic and used shorty Kimber. Especially if it's a safe queen.

The 81 is likely going to be a very fun (if surprisingly expensive to feed) shooter.
Old August 22, 2019, 07:38 PM   #13
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post
I'm not one to sell much, for two reasons. 1) General principle -- the remorse is usually more than you expect. 2) The sale process is usually a total PITA unless you take a hit on the price.

However, there are exceptional cases, and this one may very well qualify. Go to gunbroker and take a look at recent sale prices of older/used 81's. Eventually (let's say after a couple years), the nicer surplus ones should approach that price level. I'd much rather be holding onto two hand-select 81's right now than one generic and used shorty Kimber. Especially if it's a safe queen.

The 81 is likely going to be a very fun (if surprisingly expensive to feed) shooter.
the time with the gun has been paid for. its no longer a get my money out of it sort of thing anymore. its get what you'd rather have sort of thing.
Old August 22, 2019, 08:25 PM   #14
Metric

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
the time with the gun has been paid for. its no longer a get my money out of it sort of thing anymore. its get what you'd rather have sort of thing.
Sure, and I've totally been there -- "pre-transaction thoughts." On the other side of a trade, you'll be thinking "Once I had a Kimber, now I have a _____."

Just trying to say the whole process is much easier if you can pat yourself on the back from a value perspective. And in this case, you probably can. No reason not to go for it.
Old August 22, 2019, 08:42 PM   #15
cw308

I have a Colt New Agent in 45ACP , strictly a carry piece , it came with CT Laser Grips . The pistol doesn't have conventional sights only trench sights . It's my favorite and shooting with laser grips is a first for me , makes it such a fun gun . The Kimber is very similar , have you tried laser grips , just might bring back the interest that made you buy it in the first place , it is a beauty , plus you'll lose alot on a trade in . I practice once a week and my fear is wearing it out
Old August 22, 2019, 09:28 PM   #16
HisSoldier

I get the impression often here that many gun owners don't have a "harem" full of classic firearms. I'm not a Kimber fan but would never be without a 1911, and certainly wouldn't sell one to buy a gob of plastic. I'm just an old geezer I guess, but plastic and aluminum guns are not treasures for me.

And for self defense the .32 ACP could cost you or your loved one's their lives. I own at least two classic .32's, but they wouldn't be what I'd grab for defense. I did own a Kimber full size .45 1911, extremely accurate but I got rid of it because of the many MIM parts, being a machinist I don't trust it, and have had an MIM part fail in use, transforming the gun into a poor club.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old August 22, 2019, 11:18 PM   #17
RickB

Not me.
With the existence of the P938, Micro9 and 911 9mm, I see no reason for a 3" 1911.
Old August 23, 2019, 12:13 AM   #18
silvermane_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw308 View Post
I have a Colt New Agent in 45ACP , strictly a carry piece , it came with CT Laser Grips . The pistol doesn't have conventional sights only trench sights . It's my favorite and shooting with laser grips is a first for me , makes it such a fun gun . The Kimber is very similar , have you tried laser grips , just might bring back the interest that made you buy it in the first place , it is a beauty , plus you'll lose alot on a trade in . I practice once a week and my fear is wearing it out
I second this post, laser grips can make for a better site picture.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old August 23, 2019, 12:15 AM   #19
TunnelRat

Quote:
Big Kimber fan here, have a Pro Carry II. Had one Beretta, a 92f. I hated the Beretta, it was very inaccurate.
My 92A1 has been very accurate.
Maintain situational awareness
Old August 23, 2019, 06:36 AM   #20
highpower3006

If you no longer want the Kimber, then by all means, sell it and move on. However, my two cents on getting a Beretta 81 is that they are super cheap right now from various online sellers and I would just figure out how to scrape up the dough and buy one before selling the Kimber. There is no way in hell I would trade one straight up for the Beretta and if money is as tight as you indicated in your first post, then I think it would behoove you to sell it yourself and maximize your return.

I have a couple guns in .32acp and as far as I am concerned, the best thing I can say about the caliber as a self defense round, it is that it's certainly better than nothing, but just barely.
Old August 24, 2019, 05:52 AM   #21
Kreyzhorse

I bought a Colt Defender recently. Absolutely love the gun, but if yours sits in the safe, move it and get something that you want.
Old August 24, 2019, 07:40 AM   #22
Nathan

I don’t like guns that I don’t like to shoot or got replaced by selecting another of the same niche.
Old August 24, 2019, 07:45 AM   #23
AgedWarrior

Why don’t you simply do what you want, and live with your choices. Asking others to convince you one way or another is simply looking to get others to make choices for you or validate your own. Nothing wrong with selling a gun you don’t use or value, but conversely there is nothing wrong with keeping guns you do not use much if they still have some value to you. Just do it...
Old August 24, 2019, 12:32 PM   #24
T. O'Heir

"...been wanting one..." That'd be the best reason to go buy one. And you can still keep the .45 Flame Thrower if you want to. It's not really an either/or thing. However, buying firearms on credit(that's what a lay away plan is) isn't a good idea.
"...get my money out of it..." Highly unlikely you ever would. Collector pieces they ain't.
"...laser grips can make for a better site picture..." No sight picture at all with any grip. Grips do not give you a sight picture.
Old August 24, 2019, 01:59 PM   #25
cw308

Kreyz
I have the Colt New Agent , same pistol it doesn't have conventional sights only trench rsights , came with CT Laser Grips , also love the gun . I changed the recoil assembly to the EGW recoil assembly , much stronger , one flat spring not a dual spring . 100% reliable , something to look into , the Colt assembly looked pretty flimsy even though it worked fine . I shoot only 230 FMJ's . Sorry for high jacking the post , just felt it was important to pass on the info to horse.