The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 29, 2017, 07:51 PM   #1
Pep in CA

Pocket Concealed Carry with Cargo Pants

I recently watched a YouTube video demonstrating pocket concealed carry optioins. In it, the host demonstrated many options of guns and holsters used for pocket carry.

All fine and good, but in all of the options he demonstrated, he carried the firearm and holster in his front pocket, but he was wearing cargo pants. I wondered why he didn't carry his firearm in the cargo pocket ... the pocket on the side of his thigh.

It seems to me that the cargo pocket is the better choice to hold a pocket carry firearm. Why? Because one can draw a firearm from it while seated. Not so if carried in the front pocket.

I am no concealed carry expert, so this is why I'm posing this question: Why would one not carry a concealed firearm in a cargo pocket if one is wearing cargo pants? What are the pros and cons for doing so or not doing so?

Your thoughts welcome.
Old July 29, 2017, 08:04 PM   #2
Rangerrich99

I'm no expert either, but when I'm wearing cargo shorts and carrying my LCP, most of the time I carry in the cargo pocket. There's no fast way to draw a pocket pistol anyway.

A consideration is that, depending on certain factors, your pistol can bang into your knee while walking, which is uncomfortable. And it's also possible that the gun can be so low in your pocket that it's not accessible unless one bends over or pulls the shorts up.
Old July 29, 2017, 08:14 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I confess to not even owning a pair of cargo pants, but having known folks who do, and having seen them rooting through pockets which contain everything from half-eaten sandwiches to Tablets (the computer kind) and tablets (the medicine kind), I wonder how the wearers would ever know which pocket the Glock is hiding in or what has to be done to reach it. I think I'll stick with the old fashioned IWB holster.

Jim
Old July 29, 2017, 09:53 PM   #4
dannyb

My so-called "tactical" pants, which are just glorified cargo pants that I found on sale online, have an inner and outer front pocket as well as the farther down cargo pocket. Cargo pocket really is at knee level and would make it hard to reach compared with a front pocket. In addition, if I am walking to my car I can have my hand in the pocket with the pistol with front pocket carry. This does not work with cargo pockets unless you park next to a scoliosis clinic.
Old July 29, 2017, 10:09 PM   #5
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Why would one not carry a concealed firearm in a cargo pocket if one is wearing cargo pants?
Because most, if not all pocket holsters are made for the smaller regular pocket.
In the larger, looser cargo pocket the gun can easily move around, and not be in a convenient position to draw. Also, pocket holsters are made to hang on the edge of the picket so they don't come out with the gun.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 29, 2017, 10:25 PM   #6
Screwball

Pocket carry, for me, comes down to two pockets...

My Ruger LCP goes into my back pocket. For me, easier to have the gun there while going through the day, and I keep my wallet in my front pocket... so that wouldn't work. Drawing from the rear is a lot easier for me, as I have large hands. Gun in hand, even the LCP, can barely make it through the front pocket opening. Rear pocket allows a somewhat reliable grip. I use the Recluse holster, so I have 15 rounds of .380 back there (two six round magazines, converted to seven by Magguts... with one in the chamber).

My SIG P938 goes in cargo pant pockets. I don't use a standard pocket holster for this... but an actual cargo pocket holster.

http://store.dmbullardleather.com/ca...08351c6fe9697b

The way the holster is designed, the gun stays pretty much where I need it to be. If I need to draw, gun is positioned perfectly for the draw... and I have an extra magazine for reload.

My new carry setup is actually a S&W 642-1. Had it for years, but just started leaving the LaserMax weapon light on it... which I just had a IWB ordered for it (should get it in like three weeks). It is converted to 9mm, so need to find a spot for extra moonclips... cargo pocket to the rescue.

I first was just going to toss them in like I used to do with .38s in an HKS speedloader. But started to worry about the clip bending. Found these...

http://delfatti.com/PMC-PO%20Page.html

Keeps the clip secure, and when needed, grab the clip and push on the rod... cover goes flying and you have your reload. Very good invention. I picked up three... being they are so small, want to see how three reloads will work out. At the worst, I'll leave a spare in the car. I am considering the carriers from Revolver Supply Company (vertical rods, that hold two reloads, on a belt clip), but not really looking for something so visible.

I rarely put things in the cargo pocket, other than firearms. If I do while carrying, it goes in the opposite one. Even with that J-frame plan, only moonclips will be in the dedicated pocket... not change or gum.

dannyb, I don't have any issues like that. For front pocket, my arm is angled with my elbows out. For cargo pockets, the arm is straight down and fine. I've seen pants that do cargo pockets lower... just need to find ones that work with your body makeup. Lots of my cargo pants are on shorts, so the knee is at the bottom of those pockets.
Old July 29, 2017, 11:05 PM   #7
Onward Allusion

Because unless you're a 300 lb guy or one with seriously obese legs, the pant legs flops around big time when holding iron - even in a so-called pocket holster. Also, fashionistas will laugh at anyone wearing cargo pants these days.
Old July 29, 2017, 11:37 PM   #8
Pep in CA

As I'm writing this post, I'm sitting at my bedroom desk and I'm wearing tactical shorts that I bought from the NRA Store. Esssentially, they are cargo shorts ... the pockets are identical or very similar to other tactical/cargo pants I own.

I don't have a pocket pistol at the moment. My Glock 19 is in the drawer of my bedstand several feet away. I'm thinking this: If I owned a pocket pistol instead of my G19, where would it be? It would be in my right side cargo pocket. Also, I would have extra magazines in my left side cargo pocket.

Sure, I could have an IWB holster for my G19, but that would be uncomfortable and I like to be comfortable while at home. As I'm sitting here, my hands naturally rest upon my cargo pockets, not my front pockets, and certainly not in my bedside drawer several feet away.

Furthermore, if I am standing, I can still reach my firearm if I need to, and I don't care what fashionistas think.
Old July 29, 2017, 11:51 PM   #9
JoeSixpack

One thing to consider about cargo pants/shorts.

Putting it in a pocket further down the leg the more it will flop around.
Think about it.. your leg is like a pendulum.. the further away from it's pivot point "the hip" the more motion it sees and hence the more back and forth movement it's subjected to.

Same reason you see people who wear low hung drop legs flop around.. I can't stand to look at that.
Old July 30, 2017, 12:07 AM   #10
Pep in CA

So many replies so far address issues carrying a firearm while standing or walking. I spend most of my time sitting ... at home, at work, or in my car.

Actually, I can't carry a firearm at work nor in my car because I live in Los Angeles county. Because of that, I carry pepper spray outside my home.

Nevertheless, how much time do you actually spend standing or walking as opposed to sitting?
Old July 30, 2017, 12:22 AM   #11
Carmady

Quote:
Also, fashionistas will laugh at anyone wearing cargo pants these days.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. Ya see my cargo pants don't like people laughin'...
Old July 30, 2017, 06:46 AM   #12
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep in CA View Post
Nevertheless, how much time do you actually spend standing or walking as opposed to sitting?

A lot... I sit driving, eating, dropping anchor, and rarely watching TV. Shy of that, I'm doing stuff somewhat constantly. Don't remember the last time I sat and watched TV (while I wasn't eating breakfast, since that is a normal thing for us).

In regards to cargo pocket carry flopping around with movement, I ran with my P938 in my pocket... I knew it was there, but didn't have to reach down to control it. Like drop-leg holsters, a quality holster that is adjusted correctly is big (I ran drop-legs while running, and it obviously was down there... but not such a hinderance that I became annoyed). With the heel of the pistol and the profile of holster I use, most of my cargo pockets secure it horizontal by being tight enough for it. It isn't so tight that it keeps the pocket fixed, but the holster isn't moving across the pocket. A regular pocket holster really isn't up to the job for cargo pocket carry. If you are going to knock it, at least try it with a cargo pocket holster, first.

Also, consider that there is a crap load of different clothes out there. A cargo pocket from one maker might be narrower/shorter, than another. Also need to consider how the pocket is closed up... buttons or snaps. If I'm looking for clothes for a specific carry need, I try them on at the store to be sure they fit (kind of helpful), then take them home and see if it works with the gun/holster. If not, returned (unless I just want it for whatever other carry I can use with it). If so, then I take the tags off.

If you are just worrying about just home carry, use an OWB holster. Make it a heavy gun so you know it is there... and you remove it after before you leave home.
Old July 30, 2017, 07:44 AM   #13
Don P

Deleted for having a brain fart before answering
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.

Last edited by Don P; July 31, 2017 at 06:56 AM.
Old July 30, 2017, 10:32 AM   #14
Onward Allusion

Do a search on "pocket carry" and you will see how many idiots there are out there. There are a lot of idiots in the world.

However, even in a pocket holster, the gun will still generally flop around.
Old July 30, 2017, 11:01 AM   #15
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward Allusion View Post
However, even in a pocket holster, the gun will still generally flop around.

If the gun is in a holster and flopping around in the pocket, would do the same without the holster... pocket is too large for the gun/holster.

This is my Recluse holster in pretty much the configuration that I would carry it in (this was before some of the frame parts were plated, before the Hogue Handall, and definitely before the Magguts conversion). In a back pocket, it does not move around. The position I toss the holster in that pocket is the position I pull it out of the pocket... and if need be, would be in the same position if I needed to draw.

Same goes for front pockets... if the holster fills up the pocket well, it doesn't flop around. My wallet goes in my front pocket, and if I took my hand and spun it around, I could rotate it on either axis (going vertically causes some extra movement, but possible). Each time I grab my wallet out of my pants, it is in the same position, as I open it up the same way each and every time.

I posted a link to the holster I carry in my cargo pockets... and again, doesn't flop around in a way that would cause issues with drawing, shy of doing cartwheels. You notice it is there, obviously... but it isn't flipping around or popping out of the holster.

Pocket carry is like any other form of carry... you need to see what works for you and your body/dress. Can't try something once and say it doesn't work without any type of adjustment. It took me a lot of trial/error to perfect my carry setups... especially the pocket ones. My guns don't flop around to hinder my ability to utilize them because of that.
Old July 30, 2017, 11:14 AM   #16
Glenn E. Meyer

I've found that you can get Dockers with nice deep and floppy sized pockets that easily concealed a J or G42.

I wear those when the wife complains about my lack of fashion sense with cargo pants.

In TX, cargo pants and shorts are all over the place for casual wear. Where are the fashion police states?

I'm not trying to attract folks anymore, so fashion - Meh.
Old July 31, 2017, 12:38 AM   #17
Pep in CA

It never ceases to amaze me how threads can be redirected off topic.

I started this thread asking for advice about pocket carry while wearing cargo pants. Most members have been helpful, especially Screwball, but some want to talk about fashion instead.

Screwball, thanks for your informative posts. Much appreciated.
Old July 31, 2017, 04:32 AM   #18
FrankenMauser

I've barely glanced at the above posts. I just figured I'd add my opinion:

Cargo pockets don't really control anything, unless you're overstuffed and wearing the wrong size (fat man in little pants) or trying to make a fashion statement as a 'muscle man' sporting "skinny jeans" cargo pants.

Yes, I'm a cargo pants freak. Born and raised. Reinforced by BDUs in the military. Love 'em. Can't get enough. Can't find enough crap to keep stuffing in the saddlebags.
Unfortunately, they're getting very difficult to find without being expensive and made from 36 grit sand paper (Carhartt, etc. "work pants"), or being STUPIDLY overpriced and labeled as "tactical"-whatevers. ...But I digress.

Cargo pockets don't control anything. Walking around with a handgun in a cargo pocket is like walking around with a 2-3 lb chunk of steel in a pig's stomach that's stapled to your leg. It's obvious to other people that something's up. It's annoying to the wearer. And it tends to twist the pant leg, and/or entire waistband.

Why do you think drop-leg holsters, particularly the modern incarnations used by the military, have super-sinchable straps to secure the holsters on the leg?...

Easier to draw while sitting? Sure. ...Unless the pocket is buttoned.
Worth it the rest of the time? Absolutely not.
(I've tried it with a S&W 642, a Ruger LCP, a Ruger LCR, and a few other things - in a variety of cargo pants. It doesn't work.)
Old July 31, 2017, 08:03 AM   #19
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
Cargo pockets don't control anything. Walking around with a handgun in a cargo pocket is like walking around with a 2-3 lb chunk of steel in a pig's stomach that's stapled to your leg. It's obvious to other people that something's up. It's annoying to the wearer. And it tends to twist the pant leg, and/or entire waistband.

Why do you think drop-leg holsters, particularly the modern incarnations used by the military, have super-sinchable straps to secure the holsters on the leg?...

Easier to draw while sitting? Sure. ...Unless the pocket is buttoned.

Worth it the rest of the time? Absolutely not.

(I've tried it with a S&W 642, a Ruger LCP, a Ruger LCR, and a few other things - in a variety of cargo pants. It doesn't work.)

Not touching the fashion part, because I'm not walking down a runway, trying to be cool. I buy clothes to look halfway professional, but mainly for use/comfort. I can still find cargo pants/shorts somewhat regularly, but like I pointed out already, need to try them on first, then try them on at home with the firearm. If it doesn't work out in the first situation, no point in buying. If I'm buying the clothes strictly for carry, and doesn't fit the gun, they go back. If I like them, but doesn't work, either utilize a different a different carry method or return them...

In regards to walking around with "a 2-3 lb chunk of steel in a pig's stomach that's stapled to your leg," my SIG P938 weights 22 ounces... in the holster, with two loaded seven rounders (15 rounds, as I carry with one in the chamber). I've carried it quite regularly, and ran past multiple people with the gun in that pocket to grab something for my girlfriend from the other side off an arena. Never was made, even running past people who know me/my girlfriend, and quickly saying what was going on (her boss, who I feel would have said something if he knew, as he doesn't like guns). I've actually never been made with pocket carry at all...

Being you stated you browsed the thread, a lot went into me getting my carry setups good to go. I have at least 10-12 pants/shorts with cargo pockets... but out of them, I have five that I will carry in that pocket. One doesn't work well with a seven rounder in the gun, so I load a six rounder with those. While I don't like to do it, as it makes it sound like a burden (it isn't), but I dress around the gun. If I know X is occurring today, and I want to have Y gun, I wear clothes that allow it. If I can't, then I take Z gun, which carries better for that situation.

You also mentioned pockets being buttoned. I prefer snaps, but I do have a pair of shorts with buttons that I can fit my hand between them and draw (with the six round magazine, which is the same that I can't carry with the seven rounder). If I did it fast enough, the buttons (at least one) may rip off... so what? If I'm drawing the gun for defense, I can sew a button back on. Most of my other cargo pockets have snaps... which is just something to train on.

For you to say that pocket carry doesn't work... I can say right back at you, it does for me. Is it this John Wick style of presenting? No, but you have a gun on you... and with training, can get at it somewhat quickly. What holsters did you try carrying those three handguns with? If it was a traditional pocket holster, especially front ones that many times have a curve under the trigger guard to fit the front pocket better, it is obvious that the gun will slide down so the grip is towards the front/rear (opposed to being up).

If you actually wanted to try it with a cargo pocket holster...

For LCP...
http://www.recluseholster.com/produc...roducts_id=163

For J-frame...
http://www.recluseholster.com/produc...roducts_id=109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep in CA View Post
Screwball, thanks for your informative posts. Much appreciated.
No problem.
Old July 31, 2017, 08:33 AM   #20
FITASC

I have found that most men's cargo shorts are fairly loose-fitting and baggy - Even a thick wallet can really flop around inside the side pocket. Take a pistol with greater mass and it can really move, banging one's knees and generally yelling GUN IN MY POCKET.......I prefer the front pocket. YMMV
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 31, 2017, 09:36 AM   #21
Saurdaukar

Only new thing to add, of any value, is holster-dependent.

If you have one of the BORAII's, you might be able to get your hand on the pistol more quickly in a cargo pocket (temporarily assuming it is properly oriented), but the angle of the draw and larger size of the pocket mouth would impede reliable separation of the holster and the pistol on that draw.

Reintroducing positioning, personally, I prefer front right pocket because it affords constant awareness of the weapon's orientation. In a larger cargo short pocket, you lose that awareness almost completely. Thing could be pointed straight up at your armpit and you'd have no idea until you go to grab for it. That's unnerving to me. Feels like a loss of control. Try it for yourself and see if it works.
Old July 31, 2017, 02:39 PM   #22
FrankenMauser

Quote:
For you to say that pocket carry doesn't work... I can say right back at you, it does for me.
Yea, that's pretty much the point of this forum.

You think it works, and you alter/adjust your wardrobe to accommodate.

I think it sucks, and stick with clothes that I find more comfortable.

That's all it boils down to. There are no essays, debates, and justifications necessary.
It's a friendly airing of opinion.
Old July 31, 2017, 03:51 PM   #23
fastbolt

Carry methods are not only dependent on the situation, but also the user. User preference can vary.

I have half a dozen or more cargo shorts. I got them for summer wear.

I also own several pairs of different styles of cargo pants (not a 5.11 in the bunch, either), which I originally used for work (range instructor), but now wear for retired/casual roles (fits right in with where I live).

My preference in cargo shorts is for styles which have deep front pockets. That allows me to conceal pocket-holstered guns of many makes/models. The front pocket drops and centers the weapons, without allowing them to "tip".

The side cargo "bellows" pockets don't "center" the weapons, but allows them to shift anywhere front-to-back of the pockets, and worse, to even "tip" over. The weapon goes from muzzle down to muzzle forward or backward.

Yes, my variety of snubs and plastic or metal-framed pistols become easily shifting lumps that swing and bump into the outside of my leg (not enjoyed by the iliotibial band, or the side of my knee). That's just standing and walking. Running is a lot worse.

Sitting? The weapon in the front pocket can be gently shifted to slide over against the outside of the leg, resting on the seat next to the leg, but still mostly held against the leg. The cargo pocket holstered weapon can flop out away from the leg, and then there's the issue of having to make sure it remains muzzle down, instead of shifting/tipping in the generous cargo pocket.

Yep, not all pocket holsters are the same. That's a subject worth a thread of its own.

Now different folks are built differently, and different cargo pants are built differently, and there's a pretty wide potential variety of possible "fits" of folks and shorts (with different pocket styles and locations).

I like to have some control over the way a weapon (holstered) fits in my pockets, and I prefer to really limit the potential for looseness and uncontrolled shifting of a weapon. I especially don't appreciate having a pistol or snub revolver flopping in & out, banging against my IT band or the side of my knee.

When driving around "town", I realize I'll have to stop and unbelt in order to gain access to my front pocket holstered weapon. When on long road trips, if I have a front pocket holstered weapon, I'll either have another weapon securely close at hand (carefully positioned case, for example), or I'll shift the pocket holstered gun to a different pocket, like the inside breast pocket of a jacket (light or heavy, depending on the weather).

FWIW, I've invested many years carrying and using my pocketable guns from the various pockets, in both cargo pants, jeans and in jacket pockets, so I've ingrained some habits in realizing where they're located and accessing them for live-fire practice and training. (That's one of the admitted advantages of working a LE-only range.)

Now, I neithe shill styles/brands of holsters, nor do I pretend to have the ability to pick and choose carry methods for others. I can discuss and demonstrate in the classroom, when NO ammo is present, as well as out on the range, and let others decide for themselves.

Regardless of what someone else thinks they like, or wants to work for them, once the whistle or buzzer sounds, it's safe & smooth drawing, presentation and accurate rounds-on-target that matter.

The threat won't care about how cool or tactical your carry method is to you, or looks to others. It's a means to an end, which is keeping your weapon safe, secure and accessible. You get to pick, and be prepared to live (or not) with the consequences of your choice ... as do we all.

Best of luck. Choose wisely.
Old July 31, 2017, 05:04 PM   #24
TXdino

I usually carry a Shield in a Nemesis holster in a cargo pocket with Velcro tabs. Pros- invisible (my experience) and accessible, works great while driving, sitting, has never fallen out.
Cons- Does bump around bit while walking
Saves front pockets for wallet, keys.
Thanks to this thread now looking for holsters specifically designed for cargo pockets with mag holder as my spare is loose in the pocket.
Old July 31, 2017, 06:32 PM   #25
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
Yea, that's pretty much the point of this forum.

You think it works, and you alter/adjust your wardrobe to accommodate.

I think it sucks, and stick with clothes that I find more comfortable.

That's all it boils down to. There are no essays, debates, and justifications necessary.

It's a friendly airing of opinion.
Roger that... and wasn't trying to start anything with my post (clarity doesn't usually work out with posting on the internet). Nothing is wrong about opposing views... as long as it doesn't turn emotional. Helps people look into something different, especially if they have no knowledge of that situation.

I do want to know, what holster did you try with those guns in the cargo pocket? Just wondering if they were normal pocket holsters or ones designed for cargo pockets. I do like to see what people tried out, especially if it did not work... saves some money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXdino View Post
Thanks to this thread now looking for holsters specifically designed for cargo pockets with mag holder as my spare is loose in the pocket.

Yea, definitely a lot of different holsters out there... for that specific use. And very different from normal pocket holsters. I even have one or two of those covers that the gun can shoot out of... being I wanted to see what they were like. Presenting it a pain, as you are gripping the holster, as well as the gun. While it would "work," far from optimal (I'd go a normal pocket holster before that).

In regards to reloads, I wouldn't recommend them being loose in the same pocket as the gun (wasn't clear, but I don't like stuff in that same pocket, unless secured). Not too keen on them being loose, period... as stuff getting jammed in the magazine/speedloader/moonclip could cause problems. I have a single pocket carrier for my P938 magazine from DM Bullard, and a double holster for my LCP (been meaning to pick up a IWB holster for it). Even my J-frame reloads, I got some covers from Del Fatti Leather for my 9mm moonclips, which would end up in cargo pocket when I carry that (would be IWB).