The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 13, 2010, 03:47 PM   #226
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Posted by silentargus: Fires generally start small.
True, but they usually spread very fast.

Quote:
Unless you're asleep, chances are pretty good that you'll either smell the smoke or hear one of your smoke alarms go off long before the fire becomes life-threatening.
Not to get off on a tangent, but it is important that everyone realize that if a house fire occurs, it is essential that they get everyone out VERY QUICKLY.

The biggest problem is smoke inhalation, and the danger materializes very quickly indeed.

Back to the subject at hand. Most burglaries occur when the perpetrators think that no one is home. I have been the victim of three home invasions over a number of years. One occurred in a rented mountain cabin; the other two were in a very, very good neighborhood. Only in one did the perp enter knowing that the house was occupied--he had mayhem in mind.

Didn't have to shoot--the gun was deterrent enough.

There seems to be a wide-spread belief that one is "safer" in a "good" neighborhood. It is undoubtedly the case that it is safer outside, but consider this: would today's very mobile criminals with a habit to support expect more success in the taking of valuables in a prosperous neighborhood, or a poor one?

I carry in the house. I explained why in Post #128. I didn't for a long time--and then I thought about it just a little bit.

I carry when I leave the house, so I really don't see the point in taking the gun off when I come home and putting it back on when I leave. Same goes for my cell phone, wallet, and handkerchief.
Old December 13, 2010, 04:14 PM   #227
Onward Allusion

Quote:
JerryM
There is no question that violent home entries and murders happen somewhere from time to time. However I am persuaded that the liklihood of it happening to someone in an average nice neighborhood is less than getting struck by lightning. The chances are much less than getting injured by a drunk driver.
~ 70K robberies at home in 2009
~ 12K died in drunk driving accidents in 2009
= 209 struck by lightning in 2009

Last edited by Onward Allusion; December 14, 2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old December 13, 2010, 07:23 PM   #228
Southern Rebel

Quote:
These threads aren't intended to help us stratify ourselves, to create divisions. The important thing to take away from these threads is a widened perspective.
Thank you JohnKSa for reminding all of us that we, as a minority group, can ill-afford to get abrasive toward each other over areas that are truly ruled by opinions rather than absolutes.

Most of us form our opinions largely on our own life experiences. It's kinda like ridiculing a skydiver because he has developed a fear of heights from experiencing a faulty parachute. Yeah, his experience might be rare - but his personal fear of heights is very real and very rational, based on his life experience!

Oh, by the way, I do carry at home. I feel that since it is a very convenient thing to do, I owe my family that little extra bit of protection.
Old December 14, 2010, 01:31 AM   #229
javabum

I carry in my home.Due to the fact that i have a child in the home leaving a gun lying on a coffee or end table is illegal,becaues it is accessable to my kid.
And i'm all about safety an abiding by the law.

Plus i think i have an advantage.if someone did try to come in i know where the pistol is all the time because from the time i recieved my permit 3 plus yrs. ago i kept it on me till bed time.

I made a decision to make a lifestyle change and stuck to it.
That includes clothing,attitude and temperment.

NRA Life member
Old December 14, 2010, 01:42 AM   #230
egor20

I don't carry in the house but I do keep a .38 locked in my office desk in the attic and have a Benelli M3 in the bedroom. All the other guns are in a safe in the basement and my wife and I put our carry guns in our tables on each side of the bed when we come home. I also keep a Savage 350 in a lockbox in the barn.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old December 14, 2010, 07:22 AM   #231
MLeake

I'm not a big fan of stashing guns all over the house. Might upset company if they stumble across one, plus I'd have to "redecorate" any time company might bring kids.

The only stashed guns are the 870 and the lady's nightstand GP100 in the bedroom. Easy enough to lock those up, depending on who comes over.

Carrying at home negates the need for stashing firearms. I know where at least one is, at all times. Plus, I can get the gun on my person much faster than the theoretical one stashed between sofa cushions (and the odds of canine paws accidentally engaging a trigger are much, much lower).
Old December 14, 2010, 12:05 PM   #232
KingEdward

Yes, I carry in the house.

Too many pros, no cons (other than being surprised and killed or maimed).

There are 3 separate doors / main entry points on the main level.

One front door, one side door, and one back door. I'm not losing precious
seconds trying to get to the bedroom or some other room as I could be
cut off in the process. Better to take cover and self defend with .357

I carry the model 19 in the soft case and it is beside me whether in the den, kitchen, lr, bath, etc. It's no different than carrying around a magazine or the newspaper.

My preference would be to use the model 19 in an attempt to protect life
and get to the BR and hole up with the mossberg dialing 911.

If situation/time permits.
Old December 14, 2010, 12:52 PM   #233
kaylorinhi

Yes

Actually I am right now, Kimber, I would from time to time in the past but we had a break-in down the road earlier this week. So it is an all the timme kinda thing. The Larceny was, probably, some people who had prior knowledge of the house and items with-in but I am taking no chances!
Old December 14, 2010, 03:11 PM   #234
AJG

yes
Old December 27, 2010, 11:14 PM   #235
gatorgun

Most of the time I use my house as a testing ground of sorts. I like to try out different carrying methods and I figure this is the safest place to do it. Additionally, since I am a relatively new cwp holder I figure the extra time with a gun on my hip won't hurt me in the process of getting into the routine.
Old December 29, 2010, 01:06 AM   #236
40s-and-wfan

I've got to agree with the #20 post in this thread. I too have failed in getting a BG to schedule an appointment so I choose to carry all the time, at home or away. I have three boys, ages 9, 7 and 5, and they all see that Daddy carries all the time and they think nothing of it. I think they notice it less and less than I do.
I don't say that meaning it's easy to forget, I have carried long enough that I've become accustomed to it. I get up in the morning, shower and get dressed. When I get dressed my pistol goes on my belt before my shoes even get put on. I take my security seriously (not implying that others don't) and I want to be prepared at all times for whatever happens!

Forgiveness is between them and god, it's my job to arrange the meeting!
-John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)
Old December 29, 2010, 11:50 AM   #237
Glenn E. Meyer

I just thought of this. Besides the boom boom, I also usually have a small flashlight on me. A little Surefire or LED. Lights go out from the weather or whatever, I use it a lot.
Old December 29, 2010, 01:57 PM   #238
40s-and-wfan

Very true Glenn. I carry my Surefire Z2 with me, either my S&W M&P 45 or my Glock 23 and a spare magazine for whatever pistol I have on. Aside from whatever I have in my pockets (ie. latex gloves, pocket knife, notepad & pen, cpr mask etc.) that's what my EDC, in home or out, consists of!

Forgiveness is between them and god, it's my job to arrange the meeting!
-John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)
Old December 29, 2010, 02:09 PM   #239
Glenn E. Meyer

I also have a small Sypderco. Funny, I end up using the knife and light for utility things all the time.
Old December 29, 2010, 07:55 PM   #240
PH/CIB

House Carry

Putting on my gun and knife is as natural as putting on my pants. Just because I am in my house does not mean it is 100% safe. I recommend to never be without your firearm and knife.

You still might get killed, but it would be nice to take whoever does it to you along for the trip.
Life Member,,,Military Order of the Purple Heart, Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, Amvets, Disabled American Veterans, 173rd Airborne Skysoldier Association, National Rifle Association, Member,,,IDPA, USPSA, Iowa Sheriffs and Deputies Association,,Website http://www.handgunholsters.net
Old December 29, 2010, 08:03 PM   #241
pax
Staff

If I needed more incentive to carry, the story of Shasta Groene would be reason enough.

Not me. Not mine. Not today.

pax
Old December 30, 2010, 05:43 AM   #242
Motorcopm4

Dont carry on me but one is close by
Old January 8, 2011, 09:03 AM   #243
Krav Maga

I to carry 24/7.And if im feeling lazy or just plain in a good mood,i get out my sawed off side by side with me at home.
Remington 700,suppressed
Old January 9, 2011, 11:08 PM   #244
ilv2hunt

I carry at home 99% of the time. For the times I dont though, we have a 44 special revolver within reach for the wife or I to grab while watching tv. Also, we both keep a gun in our nightstands beside the bed.
Old January 14, 2011, 01:21 AM   #245
FireForged

Nope, I do not carry at home. A firearm will be close by and when I retire for the evening, it goes to the nightstand. If for some reason I cant get to my handgun there is always the "run to" gun, which is a 12ga.
Old January 14, 2011, 11:16 AM   #246
bassfishindoc

I don't carry a gun on my belt or anything but I have a .40 that sits next to me wherever I go. If I am studying it is sitting on my desk, if I go to the living room to watch TV it comes with me and sits on the coffee table. You never know when you need it and people who are in situations where they need one always seem to say they never thought it would happen to them. I don't think I will ever have to use my handgun but I don't want to be caught without it if the time comes where it is needed.
East Tennessee State University Quillen College of Medicine
Old January 17, 2011, 04:10 AM   #247
700cdl

I just posted my life's experiences a little while ago that clearly tells a story of many years of being victimized, probably far more than statistics can even come close to. I'vebeen kidnapped 3 times, robbed, shot at, and honestly more incidents than I can even recall. What I believe saved my life and that others I didn't mention who were fortunate enough I was near by was my weapon. I carry all the time. And what I mean by all the time, I mean its on my hip no matter where I am, and under my pillow when I sleep. I don't go to the bathroom in my home without my gun in my hand. But if anyone were to have encountered as many certain life threatening events as I have I believe they would be as prepared as I am.
The first event in my life happened when I was 12 years old, I am now 54 yrs. of age. I was on my bike riding the 8 or 10 miles to a favorite rabbit hunting spot at the wee hours of the morning. A man in a truck stopped along side the road and asked me to stop, he needed directions if I recall. I was cautous enough to not get within reach of him, but he seemed to pick up on my vibe and wasted no time with any further small talk and grabbed for me and got hold of my coat. During the scuffle I was able to get hold of my 22 pistol and ended the attack with a shot fired. I missed him, but put a hole through his windshield.
So with that said, and sparing you a long list of deadly encounters, I say yes, keep your weapon within reach, always! I know I'm an exception regarding statistics for such incidents, but it is also statistics that a LEO will not be there when you are being victimized.
" When seconds count, the police are only a few minutes away "
Old January 18, 2011, 12:57 AM   #248
triumph666

i carry all the time

since my accidents that messed up my shoulders i dont feel that i can 'fight' off all attackers...I'm 6'2 an 270 and pretty strong....carrying everyday even in my house has actually helped. twice when guy wheeled off my Chopper and nother guy my buell.....couple instances when at party at my house ignorant violent aholes(friends of friend) were ejected due to fighting came back after being warned police were coming and if they wanted to get hurt more i would use deadly force....
which ended up for most part me pulling my pistol out with bunch of guys on doorstep telling me they were gonna kill me..nothing more embarrassing than having my neighbors watch me at 5 am hold a gun to a mans face and try to talk him down.....as of yet the firearm has led to them leaving somewhat peacefully

so all in all responsible use of firearms can be a boon, but if you dont have one on hand you better be a good talker and or a bruce lee protoge
Old January 18, 2011, 04:58 PM   #249
youngunz4life

triumph666

just more proof that guns&booze don't mix! I am not saying you were drinking; it is still more proof that the two can be volatile together. glad that ahole didn't have too much liquid courage to make you have to send him to his maker a few decades too early!
Old January 18, 2011, 05:31 PM   #250
Carter

I carry in my house about half the time. Early in the morning I don't wake up and strap on my gun, but if I'm getting dressed or got home from going out then yes, its on my side. Every now and then I'll put it on top of a cabinet though.