The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 11, 2010, 11:28 AM   #26
rcurry

Compatibility

The gun I gifted my Husband with for Christmas was a .38 and I picked it out partially because of ammo compatibility with what I keep on hand. I prefer to carry .357 but for the savings on shooting the always present danger of paper and cans I buy and use more .38’s.

Really I didn’t think about getting him a handgun other than .22, .38 or .357 but that’s just me. And I didn’t think about getting anything other than a revolver for him. Down the line if he trades his S&W mod. 36 for something else he would prefer, is fine with me. I just want him to have (and hopefully carry) something he really feels comfortable with and enjoys helping me keep the paper and cans properly punched around here even if it’s a caliber I don’t have yet

(Caution slightly off topic)
I am slowing getting him more interested in guns. By slowly I’m talking 25 years. The good news is this week he ask if I kept the classroom materials from the CCW that I attended because he wanted to read up on it. (A wise woman knows you can’t force an idea on a man and both of you remain happy.) I’m going to search this house until I find my old materials or contact my Instructor and pay upfront for my husband’s CCW class and get the newest classroom materials for him.

Back to the compatibility topic…
Old March 11, 2010, 04:08 PM   #27
fastbolt

Hey, just depends on what works for you & your spouse/significant other ...

I actually got my wife to go to the range once and shoot some guns after we were first married. That was almost 35 years ago.

She was raised without any guns in her house and I knew she didn't like them. She still has a strong dislike for guns but has long since accepted that I was raised with them and will continue to own, use and carry them. (Having spent a career in LE and being a firearms instructor for a couple of decades made it more than a hobby, too. ) She even supported our son joining a NRA sponsored program to shoot .22's when he was very young.

Now, as far as the 'commonality' of guns and ammunition? Well, I've never felt that was a significant issue when it came to my LE job, either when on-duty working around other cops or when on my own time (and if around other cops). I just wasn't worried about being able to share ammunition or magazines.

That whole "commonality and sharing ammunition & magazines" subject has been trotted out and debated endlessly, but a definitive answer just hasn't been consistently forthcoming in the non-military environment.

I certainly didn't worry about carrying a .40 S&W when my partner carried a .45, or later carrying a different .45 model than my partner did (making mag compatibility a 1-way event in our case, with me being able to use his but not the other way around ).

Matter of fact, when younger and/or less experienced cops have asked why I didn't favor carrying the same ammunition and handguns as them, so we could share ammunition in the event they needed it, I've been pretty matter-of-fact in stating that if they ever wasted their carry load without good effect that I certainly wasn't going to give them any of mine to continue to waste.

Now, if it's a matter of concern for you and your family, then do as you feel best serves your individual needs and concerns. You only need to suit yourselves.

BTW, during the course of my career my agency went from issuing one caliber of service revolver, while authorizing other revolvers & revolver calibers, to restricting line staff to one make of pistol in a single caliber, and then eventually to issuing a range of pistols of similar make/model chambered in 3 different calibers. This last allows folks to choose if some minor variation better suits them, and it's been useful for a small number of folks who experience grip size and felt recoil issues with one pistol model or caliber.

Yes, armorer support does have to take the different models into account when it comes to some parts.

Of course, now once again folks have to know which ammunition to grab to load in their weapons.

FWIW, since I don't plan to share the same clothing, shoes, boots, medicine, eyeglasses, etc during an emergency situation, it likewise doesn't bother me to maintain the same "individuality philosophy" for weapons & ammunition.

Suit yourself. I will.
Old March 11, 2010, 04:34 PM   #28
JonnyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbolt
She was raised without any guns in her house and I knew she didn't like them.
My wife was the same way until we had a break-in. We were at the range the next day, and she had her own gun less than 24 hours after the incident. Now she loves her Glock-17...
Old March 11, 2010, 05:50 PM   #29
fastbolt

Quote:
My wife was the same way until we had a break-in. We were at the range the next day, and she had her own gun less than 24 hours after the incident. Now she loves her Glock-17...
Not everyone makes the same choices when faced with the same situations, you know. Human nature. I've accepted that, much as she has accepted my choices.

My wife has had the benefit of experiences which might influence some other folks to change their minds about firearms. While she'd probably pick up a knife or a club, she isn't going to be reaching for a firearm. So far. I do hope she never finds herself in a situation which requires that sort of response, anyway.

This is somewhat similar to how some folks will choose to own a firearm, but would never consider being interested in having the ability to lawfully carry one outside their residence.

It doesn't bother me that she has decided she has absolutely no interest in ever shooting a gun again.

I can only imagine what my cost for more guns, another safe and even more ammunition might have run over the years ...
Old March 17, 2010, 07:06 PM   #30
dav

To the OP, I think you were very considerate of your significant other with your decision.

For us, our tastes differ far too much. I am not going to start carrying a single-shot .22LR target pistol for self-defense!
Old March 19, 2010, 02:05 AM   #31
BikerRN

Thank you.

Some have asked why I don't carry one of my preferred weapons, and one she likes? I guess it's because I find that too confusing, and if she has to pick up one of my weapons to continue the fight what's to say I won't drop my preferred gun?

As long as she pickes a decent caliber, I'm OK with 9mm, and a platform that I can tolerate, which is anything short of a single shot or a derringer, I'm fine.

Biker