The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

View Poll Results: Ban signatures?
Get rid of them like the Million Morons 5 25.00%
Keep them like a beloved 870 15 75.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 15, 2002, 09:24 PM   #1
part swede

Can we ban signatures?

Anyone else notice how obtrusive and pointless signatures are? If I want a bunch of off-topic bytes I can go to someone's profile. I suggest disabling them.
Old August 15, 2002, 09:38 PM   #2
tyme
Staff

You can turn them off for just yourself if you don't want to see them. usercp->edit_options->thread_view_options->show user's signature...
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old August 15, 2002, 10:10 PM   #3
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

IMO, signatures should be no more than a line or two of text, or a link.

What kills me is when someone posts a one-sentence (or one word) reply to a thread and has three paragraphs of signature to go along with it!
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old August 15, 2002, 10:17 PM   #4
OF

Doesn't bother me. BIG ones bother me a bit, but not so much I'm in banning mode.

I've gone to a tiny font and it keeps it out of the way. They're kind of like putting up a picture in your cubicle. You do what you can do to make it a little more personal, right?

- Gabe
Old August 16, 2002, 06:25 PM   #5
C.R.Sam

Like tyme said.
Users choice, see em or not.

Leave it like it is.

Sam
Old August 16, 2002, 06:44 PM   #6
tyme
Staff

I really like the vbscript font=1 deal though. Maybe Rich could post a floating message suggesting that people do that do decrease scroll? It would help even more for frequent posters.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old August 16, 2002, 07:18 PM   #7
Edward429451

Some of the most profound statements are made in the sig lines. I like em'. No biggie.

Forgive them Rich, they know not what they say. They've obviously just had a bad day.
Old August 17, 2002, 10:50 AM   #8
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Mostly I dislike the idea of a total BAN on anything - - -

- - -But I'm in sympathy with Blues Man:
"What kills me is when someone posts a one-sentence (or one word) reply to a thread and has three paragraphs of signature to go along with it!"

Some of 'em sure waste a BUNCH of band width. I propose strongly discouraging any sig of more than three lines--Unless a quote from R. A. Heinlein or W. S. Churchill.

Best,
Johnny Guest
Old August 17, 2002, 11:13 AM   #9
Jorah Lavin

Erg, don't ban 'em, but I suggest using them with

some discretion... Why not only click "show signature" when you are posting a new thread, or if you are posting after having not used your sig for a week, or other, "once in a blue moon" situations? I would guess that I add the sig once every third post, and never if I've already used the sig during that thread.

Just part of being thoughtful about what you are saying... trying to add some value, not just spout off.

-Jorah

PS: Maybe the "show signature" select box should be deselected by default, meaning you'd have to make a slight extra effort to add it?