The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old July 27, 2002, 08:39 AM   #1
RWK

Is our "clock" accurate?

It is now about 0945, Eastern Time. I just posted to http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...readid=123011, and the "computer time" applied was 1328. I checked my time preference in "User CP", and it is correct.

Thanks and best regards -- Roy
Old July 27, 2002, 09:20 AM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Damn-
You're right. I'm hesitant to reset it just now. Because the clock shows 4 hours in future, correcting it will only screw up all the thread orders. I'll see if Justin can work something out to automate the change in the middle of the night.
Rich
Old July 27, 2002, 10:00 AM   #3
MLH

what?

Won't that mess up C. R. Sam since he's up 24/7?

"There is no distinctly native American criminal class, save congress." Mark Twain
Old July 27, 2002, 10:36 AM   #4
C.R.Sam

TFL clock been in it's own world for a long time.

Not up 24/7. Take lots of knaps.

Rich, don't mess with it. Your out is that TFL is a world unto itself and is slave to no time zone or system.

Sam
Old July 27, 2002, 12:34 PM   #5
tyme
Staff

I get the feeling it got farther off after the apache restart yesterday. Something is definately rotten.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old July 27, 2002, 12:39 PM   #6
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Server clock in linux shows correct.

Rich
Old July 27, 2002, 01:23 PM   #7
C.R.Sam

Old July 27, 2002, 02:05 PM   #8
[email protected]
Wise Guy

Check the control panel, under Options -> Date / Time options. What's the Time Zone Offset set to?

If the Server is on the East coast, and server time is set to EST, then the offset should be GMT -5 hours.

Kevin
Old July 27, 2002, 02:24 PM   #9
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Hey Spark-
It's set to GMT -5 (Eastern). That's where it should be, yes?
Rich
Old July 27, 2002, 03:15 PM   #10
tyme
Staff

Okay. vbulletin expects time to be EST. Unfortunately, due to DST, eastern time is now EDT, or -4. This breaks things, which is why it's been off an hour (it's off another 1.5 minutes, but that's a system time issue).

Ok, scratch the rest of what I wrote. vbulletin needs to be fixed so it normalizes dates to GMT automatically. Right now it just tries to be smart and ends up being stupid. It ignores that php's date() provides a perfectly good way to get the system time's offset from GMT in seconds, and forces someone to hardcode the offset which breaks things during the summer. That's just silly.

Wow. That was easy. Everything should be fixed.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)

Last edited by tyme; July 27, 2002 at 03:40 PM.
Old July 27, 2002, 05:38 PM   #11
[email protected]
Wise Guy

We never have this problem on BladeForums. What did you do exactly?
Old July 27, 2002, 07:29 PM   #12
tyme
Staff

--- functions.php.orig Sat Jul 27 16:39:30 2002
+++ functions.php Sat Jul 27 16:39:52 2002
@@ -1596,7 +1596,7 @@
function vbdate($format,$timestamp) {
global $bbuserinfo,$timeoffset;

- return date($format,$timestamp+($bbuserinfo['timezoneoffset']-$timeoffset)*3600);
+ return gmdate($format,$timestamp+($bbuserinfo['timezoneoffset'])*3600);
Old July 27, 2002, 09:10 PM   #13
tyme
Staff

I temporarily changed timezones -5 through -8 to -4 through -7 so many U.S. residents don't have to change their user settings.

Spark - bladeforums does have the same problem; it's inherent in the way vbulletin does timezones.

Go change your user settings to GMT on BF and look at the times it displays - they'll be off by an hour because vbulletin assumes(!) that if system time is modified by daylight savings, _every_ timezone is.

edit...
The above should be "every timezone should be." Also, if you ever start up apache under a shell that has $TZ set to something weird (like GMT+7), all the times displayed by vbulletin will be off. In that particular case, it would be (7 - system time offset) hours off.

I suspect, though, that just about nobody really pays too much attention to the times displayed other than to estimate relative differences. TFL is its own sovereign, right? What does it need correct timezones for?

Last edited by tyme; July 27, 2002 at 10:20 PM.
Old July 27, 2002, 09:31 PM   #14
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Thanks for the quick fix, Tyme.
Rich