The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 12, 2019, 12:54 PM   #26
T. O'Heir

"...Bought from a pawn shop..." Chances are they didn't look at it either. If it hasn't been too long take it back. 'Too long' being whatever the pawn shop says it is.
Springfield's warrantee applies to the original owner only.
Old August 12, 2019, 02:36 PM   #27
veprdude

I'm 2/2 for sending back pistols to the OEM for repair/replacement from pawn shops. I bought a Ruger SR1911 that would constantly stove pipe. Sent it back. They said the frame was way out of spec. Sent a brand new one. Bought a Sig P229. It had cracked grip screw holes. Sig swapped my parts onto a new frame and sent it back.

The last thing a gun manufacturer wants (especially now when sales are in a slump) is an unhappy user ranting all over the place about how their brand is a POS. Especially Springfield Armory. A replacement slide probably costs them $50. And if the part isn't completely destroyed out of misuse/neglect they'll likely help you out and make you a XDM fanboy.
Old August 12, 2019, 06:32 PM   #28
Flicks

Trash, better safe than sorry.
Old August 13, 2019, 01:05 AM   #29
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Based on appearance the metal has failed and broken. I don't have one of them, myself.

Even if that area is "relieved" it was either botched or it later broke, I can't see anyone making such an uneven scalloped edge on purpose.

It is possible that the tool cutting head "chattered" and did a rough cut, and QC didn't catch it, or did and it was within limits. Also possible some small chips of the edge broke off leaving the scalloped appearance. I don't know, it just seems wrong though.

Now the question is, is it a problem???

I'd say contact Springfield, send them the pics and ask their opinion.
It's possible that jagged look is what that part of the slide looks like before being machined to a finish and the tool broke, machine operator was unaware, assembler was unaware, and there was no QC done at all. That or the cutting tool just broke.

Chatter wouldn't cause such visible ridges, it would just leave a poor surface finish.

Old August 13, 2019, 01:17 AM   #30
JohnKSa
Staff

If you machine through thin and somewhat brittle metal too fast, the metal will break and chip at the edges of the cut instead of cutting through smoothly. Especially if the tool is dull.
Old August 13, 2019, 01:36 AM   #31
TruthTellers

I don't work with thin material that much, so probably. I can tell the tool would be a ball end mill and when the radius portion of it gets dull, it looks bad.

Regardless, should have been caught before leaving factory, but quality in gun manufacturing plays second fiddle to customer service nowadays.
Old August 13, 2019, 01:00 PM   #32
44 AMP
Staff

I informed one of my "minions" about this thread, and they went to the local shop, and examined two different pistols of the same make & model as the OP, and in both cases the cut looked like the one in post #6, with smooth edges, not like the gun the OP has.

And, for what its worth, the shop owner stated that if a customer brought him a gun like the one the OP has, he would send it back to the maker and say "fix it!"

am curious to see what Springfield says and does about it...
Old August 17, 2019, 08:17 PM   #33
Walt Sherrill

Nymero? Have you heard from Springfield.
Old August 22, 2019, 10:32 PM   #34
HisSoldier

I guess I've been living dangerously, I'd have just trimmed the edges of that in less time than it took to read all the posts here.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old August 27, 2019, 11:34 AM   #35
tipoc

If John is right and it's a standard design feature it's an odd way to design a slide. It's a standard Browning tilt barrel right? Common enough. How many guns handle that in this way?

This gun is also not a new design. Seems folks would have been asking about this if common.

I know nothing about this Springfield so have no real opinion, but seems odd.

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.
Old August 27, 2019, 12:09 PM   #36
JohnKSa
Staff

I don't think the rough edges are a standard feature at all. I'd say that's the result of dull tools, or maybe someone pushing a cutter too fast. I don't see it as being a functional problem or a safety issue (the gun should still work and be safe to fire even with the rough edges), but the edges should be smooth.

But the cut through does seem to be standard. There has to be some provision for the barrel to tilt and if the channels for the barrel and recoil spring are close together (to keep the bore axis as low as possible) the cut in the barrel channel to allow the barrel tilt will go through into the channel for the recoil spring. The break through will leave a profile that is elliptical and since the edges of the cutout will be thin because of the geometry, if the tool is dull or being pushed too fast, it won't be nice and smooth.

If the barrel channel and recoil spring assembly channel are farther apart, then the cut in the barrel channel won't go through into the recoil spring channel and the cutout won't occur. Also, if the slide design doesn't include a barrel channel and recoil spring channel (as with Glocks) then this "feature" won't be there.

I've seen this cutout on other guns (just don't ask me which ones) over the years, and I did find a picture of another XDM showing the cutout (albeit with smooth edges) and we also have other folks indicating that other XDMs show the same cutout but with smooth edges.
Old August 27, 2019, 06:40 PM   #37
44 AMP
Staff

The cutout is a design feature, the rough edges are a flaw. Several other pistols of the same make model and caliber have been examined, and they don't have the rough edges the OP's gun has. It's a flaw.

Its not in a critical area, the gun is safe to shoot and does function. The OP has contacted the maker, and we're waiting to hear back from him, about what they said.