The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 3, 2019, 04:42 AM   #1
TruthTellers

DA/SA .22's

I like the DA/SA action, I'm sure many others do too, but I also like .22 pistols and it seems a lot of semi auto .22's are striker fired and not DA/SA. I have my Ruger SR22 here, it's a great gun and I shoot it well. It's based largely on the Walther P22, but it does some things better than Walther, not too mention because it's a Ruger there are aftermarket parts available for it.

So I'm wondering what other DA/SA .22 pistols are out there? Which would you rely on for self defense?
Old August 3, 2019, 06:20 AM   #2
PSP

Walther PPK/s
Beretta makes several
Bersa Thunder

Used; Walther PP, PPK/s, PPK, TPH, Daewoo DP52, Astra Constable, Older Berettas, (948, 70 for example)
Old August 3, 2019, 08:07 AM   #3
OhioGuy

I've fired the Beretta 92 in .22. I think it's made by Umarex but the one I shot ran identically to a real 92. It's also sized like a real 92 which can be hard for people with smaller hands. But it seemed like a good gun and the trigger was ok. I think Ruger's SR-22 is probably among the better options and you already have it.

I'm not looking to start caliber fights but I would not rely on any .22 for self defense, especially in a magazine fed gun. Misfires and bad primers are not that uncommon in .22 cartridges and misfeeds happen too. If I were to carry a .22 for self defense, it would be a revolver. They aren't exactly cheap, but if you want to plink around with a decent gun AND get very good at mastering a DA trigger, a Ruger LCRx is a pretty neat little revolver. 8 shots in .22 and the exposed hammer lets you cock the trigger if you choose to. Or you can just get the regular DA-only. It's a nice trigger pull.

If you want DA/SA in a gun you'll actually carry for defense. I think something like Walther's PPK in .380 would be a far more reliable choice. Rimfire ammo is just too flaky in my opinion.

(And yeah, I'll go there -- it's really effective if you're attacked by squirrels but I don't think I'd count on it stopping a robber).
Old August 3, 2019, 12:53 PM   #4
osbornk

I love 22s but don't trust them for self defense. I shoot them a lot and they include a SA striker fired semi-auto as well as a hammer fired one. I have 2 SA revolvers and one SA/DA revolver. Regardless of what gun I use or which ammo (usually bulk) I use, I tend to get a FTF of around 1 per 100 or more. They will almost always fire the second time if I turn the cartridge so it hits a different part of the rim. I have never had a FTF with my center fire guns (9MM, 380, 357 & 38 Special).

Last edited by osbornk; August 7, 2019 at 09:27 AM.
Old August 3, 2019, 10:41 PM   #5
HighValleyRanch

I had an Iver Johnson TP .22 on my permit the first few years. It's a replica of the Walther TPH, but more cheaply made. I even think the slide is zinc, or some cheap metal.
But dang that little pistol could shoot. I used to hit the black easily at 50 yards with it!

TP22 is DA/SA and has a hammer block safety.
Old August 4, 2019, 07:08 AM   #6
Areoflyer09

Being a bit nit picky, but I’m curious which models you’ve looked at to conclude most are striker fired. I can only pull a few striker fired 22s off the top of head: Beretta Neos and the Taurus TX22. There a few others but it’s not the go to choice. Most just run an internal hammer and are SAO.

On topic my favorite DA/SA is my Kadet kit for my CZ75.

If I had to rely on a 22 for self defense, I’d probably buy a S&W 317 revolver.
Old August 4, 2019, 07:49 AM   #7
littlebikerider

My wife has a S&W 317 .22 revolver, because "I'm not interested in those other guns". It has a very nice trigger, and is small enough to be reasonable for concealed carry. If you get a round that doesn't fire...just keep pulling the trigger! (If not an emergency I would wait several seconds first.)

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-317-kit-gun

While uncommon, I have also had misfires with factory centerfire ammo.
Old August 4, 2019, 08:15 AM   #8
tarhealcracker

TRUTH TELLER,
Do check out the Bersa Thunder in 22 lr. The Thunder series are an eye opener.
Old August 4, 2019, 08:33 AM   #9
GarandTd

I believe the Sig Mosquito/GSG Firefly is DA/SA. I have no experience with them.

Last edited by GarandTd; August 4, 2019 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Added info
Old August 4, 2019, 11:46 AM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
So I'm wondering what other DA/SA .22 pistols are out there? Which would you rely on for self defense?
First, I don't know, sorry.

Second, not by choice, though I would certainly use a .22 if that was all I had available in gravest extreme.

I would not choose ANY .22 for self defense if any larger caliber was available. Not because of the any concern over rimfire ignition, but because it simply is a tiny bullet, which can certainly kill, but has a poor record of physically stopping people.

It does have the same record of psychological stops as others, but I don't consider choosing to rely on that as wise.

In my world, .22s are for sport, recreation, and small game/pest hunting. They don't need to be DA/SA and the only DA/SA .22 I've ever had was a S&W model 17 revolver. Like wise, they don't need to be concealable CCW class guns, I much prefer the larger "sport pistol" class with longer barrels and real (and usually adjustable) sights.

I do have one of those miserable little Jennings .22s, someone gave it to me ages ago, and I keep it as an example to show people, of what NOT to get..
Old August 4, 2019, 01:00 PM   #11
10-96

Quote:
I do have one of those miserable little Jennings .22s
I thought I had one of those in one of my tool box drawers, been there for years, hadn't looked at it since it was given to me. The day before yesterday, I went to get a faucet wrench and decided to eyeball the little pistol. Turns out it's not a .22, but an equally worthless .25ACP.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old August 6, 2019, 09:14 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Turns out it's not a .22, but an equally worthless .25ACP.
Equally worthless? Actually the .25s usually feed better than the .22s. they are more reliable functionally, generally because the .25ACP FMJ ammo feeds better.

Downrange? .22LR performs better than .25ACP FMJ. Way better.
Old August 7, 2019, 04:35 AM   #13
TruthTellers

What's great about .22 vs .25 is I can shoot 5 times the amount of .22 and it cost the same as 50 rounds of .25.
Old August 12, 2019, 07:33 PM   #14
rodfac

Any Sig DA/SA with a .22 caliber exchange slide and bbl. will function as in the original DA/SA Sig mode. I have one currently mounted on my Sig P226 Mk25 and it's nearly as accurate as my S&W M41 from the '70's. As to using any .22 for self defense purposes, I'd politely decline...YMMv Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old August 14, 2019, 10:45 AM   #15
Cosmodragoon

It's already been said but I wouldn't choose a .22 for self defense if I could help it. I prefer DA/SA for my carry guns so having my .22 semi-auto be DA/SA is just a matter of consistency. Like the OP, I have a Ruger SR-22. It's quite a nice little handgun. The huge selection of colors is cool too. I'd love to see Ruger release a .380 with this general design.
Old August 14, 2019, 11:36 AM   #16
aarondhgraham

As a few folk have already mentioned,,,
The Bersa Thunder 22 is a very fine fiery-arm.

I have had mine for about 8-9 years now,,,
The dang thing is reliable and easy to hit with.

It's thinner than my Ruger SR-22,,,
In my mind that makes it a better choice for carry.

One that no one has mentioned is the Beretta Cheetah Model 87,,,
It's expensive ($700.00 or more) and doesn't have a de-cocker,,,
It's also a lesser capacity but I just love shooting the gun.

Here is the Beretta and the Bersa side by side.

Of the Ruger, Bersa, or Beretta,,,
I would recommend the Bersa over the other two.

I have gifted three new Bersa's to college graduates,,,
So far their guns have been as good a performers as mine has.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)