The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 6, 2019, 10:23 AM   #1
kenny53

Taurus TX 22

On a whim I bought a TX 22 yesterday and immediately hit the range.
The gun shop and range are the same place and they give you 14 days of free range time when you buy a gun.
I field stripped the gun clean it and lube it and fired away. I was shooting ever brand of 22 I had. CCI, Thunderbolts, Federal, and so on. I had close to a hundred round down range and it was running perfect. Then I tried CCI Stingers. 16 rounds in the mag and got three round to fire, each one hung up and had to force the slide. That was it for the Stingers. Went back to shooting and every round was keyhole. I put a number of round on the target, nothing but keyhole. Walked out of the range with gun and target in hand and told them I don't want the gun. We field stripped the gun and looked down the barrel saw nothing but ugly. The young lady behind the counter broke out a cleaning kit and I spent a half hour or more scrubbing the barrel. I guess the Stingers sheared off some lead and fouled the barrel. The gun was shooting fine again. I guess the TX 22 doesn't like Stingers. I will hit the range later today and give another workout.
Old August 6, 2019, 12:22 PM   #2
jmhyer

My TX22 did the same thing with Thuderbolts after only a couple dozen rounds. Since then, I've stayed clear of that brand and it hasn't happened again. Interestingly, I didn't have that problem with the same brick of ammo in several other guns. I was puzzled; however, I still really enjoy that pistol. It's a hoot to shoot!
Old August 6, 2019, 12:24 PM   #3
sigarms228

There is a known problem with some TX22s and severe barrel leading due to poor quality barrel problems. See link below starting at post 33.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph....847391/page-2
Old August 6, 2019, 09:09 PM   #4
kenny53

I went back to the range today. Shot well over a 100 rounds of every kind of ammo except Stingers. Shot great, it doesn't shoot as good as my Ruger MK II but it does shoot good and it is fun to shoot.