The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 12, 2010, 06:45 PM   #1
champ198

anyone here shoot IDPA and USPSA both?

thinking of joining one or ther other but im a new shooter and dont know a lot about either...can some of you all that do shoot one or the other tell me a little about them....wanting to learn more and thought this would be a good way to do it
any info would help a bunch
Old April 12, 2010, 08:41 PM   #2
mega twin

I actually shot a total of one each.
All in all ,I much preferred the IDPA match,because it was more related to self defense.
The other match was more about high capacity race guns,which I did not own,so even tho I was not actually competing in the same class,mentally it felt like I was.

The IDPA on the other hand,just made me feel much more comfortable,and competent.

try em both and see which one you like the best, and have fun!
Old April 13, 2010, 09:59 AM   #3
Glenn E. Meyer

IDPA is a touch more tactical - but it's really not training. Both are trigger time under stress. IPSC guns tend towards the buck rogers and not not carry guns. Although most IDPA guns probably don't go out as much as your J frame. You can shoot IPSC with a stock gun though but most folks like the zoomatron models.

I shoot IDPA, IDPA style carbine and Steel Challenge. I like the latter as I can do it with my Buckmark and it is an exercise for speed and accuracy trigger and aiming skills.
Old April 13, 2010, 01:01 PM   #4
The Great Mahoo

I've not had a chance to actually participate, but I really like the concept of IDPA more.

I played paintball years ago, back when the game had just started. It quickly became an arms race to see who could buy the biggest, most expensive new-fangled gizmo to help them out. I didn't want to spend that kind of money, making due with only-decent equipment, always having a good time.
I feel kind of the same way about competative shooting. I don't want custom tooled up guns with all kinds of doo-dads that make it so heavy the gun is impractical off of the shooting course. Sadly, those advantages stack up, so my handy carry gun just isn't competative.

I've shot in local "action shoots" which are hosted for fun, with not much in the way of rules (beyond safety) and almost no dividing of guns to compete amongst. I've enjoyed the shoots, but have no interest in comparing my scores with others, since many have souped-up sporters while I use my carry guns as an active training exercise. Though, I must admit, it was satisfying to end up in the top 10 using my stock-Glock 36, 6+1 .45acp gun against guys with custom 1911's complete with beveled mag wells, extended high-cap mags to reduce reloading, compensators, and quick-align sights. I guess the equipment can't quite do all of the work.

I would very much like to shoot IDPA, sadly, there just aren't any ranges that host that style anywhere near me.
Old April 13, 2010, 08:39 PM   #5
Dingo Steelwell

USPSA

I have wanted to get into USPSA for years, ever since I first heard about it, but there is nowhere around me that does it. (at least not that I have found that is close)
USPSA is United States Practical Shooting Asso.
this is really the only one I have ever heard anything about, and I have seen videos of matches that look like fun...
if anyone has any more info about what IDPA is all about, I would enjoy to read about that...
(I understand that USPSA and IPSC are the same, please correct me if I'm wrong)

shoot safe, shoot straight, shoot often
Dingo
Old April 13, 2010, 08:48 PM   #6
GaryM&P

I've shot IDPA for over a decade and USPSA for over a decade before that. I only shoot IDPA now. I'd much rather compete with the gear I carry on the street.
Old April 14, 2010, 10:55 AM   #7
NRAhab

I shoot both IDPA and USPSA, as well as Steel Challenge, NRA Action pistol, and pretty much anything that will put a gun in my hands for fun. I started IDPA in '08, and just this year really got into shooting USPSA - I shot my first "major" match just last weekend after shooting club matches here and there.

People seem to operate under the impression that you can't shoot USPSA with your carry gear, which is incorrect. Production division is currently the most popular division in USPSA, and it's dominated by Glocks, M&Ps, and true "Production" guns. There is absolutely nothing stopping you from competiting in USPSA with a Glock 19 and a SERPA carry holster.

The biggest difference between IDPA and USPSA (aside from the round count) is how the stages are approached by the shooter. USPSA presents the shooter with a stage and targets and says "solve this shooting problem as you see fit"; IDPA presents the shooter with a stage and targets and says "solve this stage as quickly as possible within these guidelines". One thing that I will say is that USPSA tends to reward a more aggressive mindset than IDPA, which I think is a good thing.

All that being said, I shoot both. I don't think one is better than the other, because they ultimately test the same skills. IDPA and USPSA ultimately are both games, and either (or both) will improve your shooting skills.
Old April 15, 2010, 10:30 AM   #8
Don P

As it has been explained to me and I shoot IDPA, USPSA is a track and field event with a gun and IDPA is geared more for CCW carry. No special equipment needed for IDPA
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old April 15, 2010, 10:43 AM   #9
Nowhere Man

Reread what NRAhab said. He hit the bullseye.

I shoot both and enjoy USPSA much more. No games, you just shoot.

Dave
Old April 15, 2010, 10:48 AM   #10
Glenn E. Meyer

No games in IPSC - what?

Where?

Gaming is part of the game!

Shoot 'em all!
Old April 15, 2010, 11:09 AM   #11
Nowhere Man

I should have said, none of the hiding behind walls or barrels. You just shoot!!!

Dave
Old April 15, 2010, 03:57 PM   #12
rduckwor

I shoot USPSA, IDPA, and Steel Challenge. Just pick a match and go shoot. After you've thried both or all three, you can decide what you want to focus on.

Shoot what you have before you spend a lot of money gearing up.

Enjoy!
Old April 15, 2010, 04:27 PM   #13
qcpunk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7i50yn6-qM

Good video on USPSA....

"...Revolver division, which has that silly round thing in the middle of it. Goes round n round." @ 3:27 LMAO!
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it." --Abraham Lincoln
Old April 15, 2010, 06:35 PM   #14
Deaf Smith

Started out in IPSC many many years ago (in fact pre-IPSC where we had Walk-n-Draw near Nacogodoches Texas.

Shoot mostly IDPA now (when I have the time.)

Both have much to offer. I do caution if you are more self defense orentated then I'd go IPDA, but if pure fun and high round count is what turns you on, IPSC.

But hey, there is ICOR to. And if long range is your game, IHMSA. Done IHMSA but not ICOR.