The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 28, 2020, 09:23 PM   #1
Doc Holliday 1950

thoughts on Colt's King Cobra

I just received for my anniversary a NIB 2" 357 in magnum Colt King Cobra Revolver. I know it's not quite like my original 4" Colt Python but my qestions are;
1- Do you own the new King Cobra in any lenght?
2- Do you like it or not? try not to compare it to the original Colt.
3- Have you at least fired it & what are your thoughts?
My wife bought it NIB for $700 & I don't have to do anything to the trigger.
it's action is super. It also is super easy to carry concealed.
Will go to the range tomorrow with my 3" Colt KC & my 4" Python and of course my new 2" KC.

Doc
Old May 28, 2020, 09:46 PM   #2
shoebox1.1

That’s awesome. I wish you the best with it
Old May 29, 2020, 05:37 AM   #3
CajunBass

I don't have a King Cobra, but I do have a 2019 Cobra in 38. It's without a doubt the best revolver in it's class that I've ever owned, including Smith and Wesson (J and K frame "snubs"), Colts, Ruger, Charter Arms and Taurus.

I like the fact that it's a little bigger than a J, but not as big as a K-frame. It's got a grip big enough to get all my fingers on. It's a six shot vs a 5. The fiber optic front sight just jumps out at me. The trigger, out of the box was VERY good. I've fired a few hundred rounds through it and no complaints there. It just shoots.

I've also got two 2020 Pythons, but they're for another story.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old May 29, 2020, 08:26 PM   #4
KyJim

I have the King Cobra with a three-inch barrel. I really like three inch barreled revolvers and the relatively light weight and the great trigger of the King Cobra make it my favorite carry revolver. My other favorite is a Ruger LCR in 9mm, but it is not nearly as pretty as the KC.

As the saying goes, the KC shoots better than I do but that trigger helps me quite a bit.
Old May 30, 2020, 06:51 AM   #5
Kreyzhorse

I own both a 1990s Enhanced 4" King Cobra and a 2019 3" King Cobra.

I was a bit disappointed that the new King was really just a shiner version of the Cobra and feel that Colt didn't do either version justice by calling it a King Cobra.

That out of the way, I love the gun.

Easy to carry, fit and finish is perfect.

The trigger is excellent and much better than on my 90's enchanced King Cobra, which is pretty damn good in it's own right.

As far as shooting it, I'm impressed. I thought at 3" it would be a handful when shooting .357. To be sure, you know you are shooting it but the recoil is easy to handle.

Gun is damn accurate too.

Only complaint was the damn, cheap rubber grips that seem to show on most guns these days. Easy enough to replace though.

I also have a new Cobra and it has the same excellent trigger although with that terrible matte finish. The King has replaced it at the range and CCW. In fact, I love the Cobra, but I've thought about trading it off.

Good luck with your King, it's a great gun, even if it's not a King of old.

Last edited by Kreyzhorse; May 30, 2020 at 06:57 AM.