The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 12, 2014, 08:25 AM   #1
psalm7

Bipod

I have a Rem 700 300 win mag tactical that I use a Harris type bipod on that has the internal and external coil springs . When I fire it with the bipod not in use it vibrates like a tuneing fork thrugh the Kevlar stock so I removed the springs and replaced them with bungee cords but they are not strong enough to keep the legs down if I slide the rifle back to get into fireing posistion . Any ideas on types of bipods for heavy recoil .
Old April 12, 2014, 09:23 PM   #2
nemesiss45

I personally use harris, but I have seen a lot of folks who love the atlas bipod. It does, honestly, look like a more refined design and might fit your needs. They are a bit pricey though.

If the springs on the harris worked except the resonance, maybe you could find a rubber tubing that would fit on the springs to dampen the vibration while retaining the function... that would be the cheaper option if it worked
Old April 13, 2014, 07:19 AM   #3
Toolman

You might get some shrink wrap tubing from Radio Shack and put it on the spring hooks and re-attach them to their mountings. That's probably where the vibration is being transferred. It's cheap, wouldn't inhibit the springs and can easily be replaced when needed.