The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 17, 2011, 09:27 PM   #1
carprivershooter

My M1 Carbine

I bought a Auto Ordence M1 Cabine. Shoots great, high right. once I figured it out iam was able to be on target. Now the question I also got the adjustable sight and want to change it from the standard sight. Can I change the sight with just a brass hammer and a brass drift punch? or am I gong to have to shell out for a sight adjustment vise. Would like some input before I start to hammer (tapping) on the rifle. thanks guys,

The Auto Ordince M1 is a repro of the origanl issue carbine with the flip peep sight. I also have a 1945 M1 carbine that i bought but have yet to shoot I hope to reload some ammo and shoot it this weekend to have something to compare the repro too
Old March 18, 2011, 02:23 PM   #2
john323

Just tap it out with the punch.Left to right.

Southern California
Anything legal, Rifles, Handguns, Shotguns, Black powder
Old March 18, 2011, 10:48 PM   #3
carprivershooter

thanks

Thanks John for yopur input, I don't want bogger the gun up.
Old March 19, 2011, 12:07 AM   #4
gyvel

Use an aluminum punch or bar. It will leave aluminum stains on the metal which comes off with solvent, but you won't bugger the metal like you will with brass when it work hardens.
Old March 19, 2011, 12:29 AM   #5
kenno

I sawed off an M-2 carbine, had the 30 rnd mags and loved the thought of 110grn bullets flying sideways; at 30 feet what was not to love?.
Seeing as Audie Murphy used an M-1carbine when hunting Trained German Snipers
AHH
And hung the Nazi Sniper Rifles on the Company Chuck Wagon apre/morte
I would reconcdier makeing wild statments about Audie, he payed a huge price for not dieing
Audie would have been better off dead
God's honest truth, It aint just that's he's a Texan, he's a Txn that did not go bad despite having all the odds stacked against him, and fer christ's sake the odds were pointing towards a **** sto9rm if he'd have ever made it to the interstates!

Last edited by kenno; March 19, 2011 at 12:41 AM.
Old March 19, 2011, 01:23 AM   #6
Nnobby45

Well, here's the story of my Auto Ordinance M1 Carbine.

Shot about 8" high at 50 yds. Too much. Occasionally, if would fail to eject all the way. Nothing wrong with the extractor, it would stop just short of the round being clearing the chamber. Once every 15 rd. mag. or so. (I load 14 rds)

Thought it might be lower pressure ammo, but it did it with anything. At least it's an easy malfunction to clear.

Sent the rifle back and they replaced the bbl. I had them install adjustable sights. However, the rifle still shoots about 5" high @ 50yds. with the sight adjusted down as far as it will go. About 1Ft. high at 100 yds. I can live with that on a 50 yds on in carbine.

Also, this is a very accurate rifle.

Ejection problem existed after 500 rds., but not as much. I'd polished some parts, and that helped. But, I'd had enough, so I "lubed" the bolt with Flitz polishing compound, and the inside of the receiver--anywhere the bolt would rub--- and ran a couple of magazines thru the gun.

It's worked since without a hitch after putting ten magazines thru it with CorBon DPX, Federal SP, Am. Eagle, and even Wolf.

Handles CorBon DPX just fine, and I believe that ammo might solve any stopping power issues. After my polishing trick, I accidentally mixed up my DPX carry ammo with American Eagle and put 42 rds. of DPX down range without a hitch. Expensive, but gave me some piece of mind.

I added a buttstock ammo pouch (two mag.s) and I have a good 'grab and go' carbine that transports inconspicuously and shoots well. Can't remember where I ordered the pouch on line, but if you Google around, I think you can fine them.

Not trying to take over the thread with my own personal story, but hopefully what I've experienced might prove useful.

Last edited by Nnobby45; March 19, 2011 at 01:50 AM.
Old March 19, 2011, 08:21 AM   #7
rdmallory

Quote:
Can't remember where I ordered the pouch on line,
Check Kahr.

They have a lot of stuff on sale for the Carbine.

I order the mag holder, bayonet lug, carry strap with oiler, and adjustable rear sight from them.

Waiting on dies to go with the 1000 rounds of brass I purchased from TopBrass.
Next on the list a leather grip bayonet.

Doug