The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 7, 2009, 11:27 AM   #1
rodwhaincamo

Accuracy of T/C Encore

Am considering an Encore with a 24-28" barrel in 270 Win or 7mm-08. Does anyone know how it's accuracy compares with a bolt action? I favor neck shots and so this is important to me.
Old July 7, 2009, 12:11 PM   #2
mikejonestkd

I have found that TC barrels are among the better of the major brands of barrels.

My encore barrels average around 1" for 3 shots at 100 yards when I do my part.

hope this helps
Old July 7, 2009, 12:22 PM   #3
pilothunter

As with pretty much any firearm, extreme accuracy might be by chance alone, but my experience with my T/C Encore and two barrels; 25/06 and .35 Whelen, mirrors the post above. Both are excellent shooters, and the best thing about the Encore is that shooting the little '06 is excellent practice for the granddaddy. You are shooting the same rifle, same trigger, simply a different caliber. I even have scopes that are nearly identical to help in this respect. I prefer the 24" size and it's compact overall length.
Old July 7, 2009, 01:11 PM   #4
rodwhaincamo

I love the idea of having a long barrel with a short overall length, and the lighter weight. Also like the idea of buying a barrel for $350 or so instead of a new rifle for much more. Figured a 44 R mag with 20" barrel for a carry/brush rifle since I own a 44 pistol, and either the 270 Win or 7mm-08 for my longer range game getter. Always heard you can't beat a bolt for accuracy though. Been using a friend's Sako 270 Win bolt gun. It's a dandy!
Old July 7, 2009, 01:53 PM   #5
hunter11

TC Encore

Mine has a thumb hole camo stock with a SS actionand barrel and a Leupold 3x9 50 Scope and is very accurate 5 holes touching at 100 yds shooting Hornady 270's Dan
Thumb hole stock added after photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Gun.jpg (71.0 KB, 134 views)
Old July 7, 2009, 02:18 PM   #6
taylorce1

I too have an Encore but in a pistol, 7mm-08 and .280 GNR (7mm-.405 Win AI). I've found the accuracy potential to be there but I have problems with my accuracy potential with the pistol. I have no problems at 50 yards with either but my groups open up terribly at 100 yards. If I can't shoot 100 yards then I will not hunt with this pistol, and may wind up turning it into a rifle.

My .280 barrel is 17" with brake so I could use it as a carbine and my data shows I can get 3000 fps with 140 grain bullets. However with that short barrel I can feel the heat from the brake against my face, and I can't really imagine moving closer to the brake. I have a friends who have been shooting T/C's for years both pistol and rifle and they have always proved to be very accurate.
Old July 8, 2009, 12:19 AM   #7
trooper3385

I have a TC Encore Pro Hunter in a 30-06. I was really impressed with the accuracy. I'm shooting 3/4 to 1 inch 3 shot groups. I ordered it in a 308, but before it came in, I decided to go with the 30-06. I may be wrong, but I figured I would get more out of the 30-06 with the long barrel then I would with a 308. I've been real happy with it and have been trying to decide whether I want to get another barrel in a 22-250 or a 220 swift for coyote hunting.
Old July 9, 2009, 02:42 PM   #8

My neighbor/hunting bud/reloading bud has a 25-06 26" heavy barrel. That thing is a absolute tack driver at 200 yds. I don't know if you can get the HB in the 270 but, if you can I would without a doubt recommend it over the standard barrel. I don't know what application you're buying the barrel for but, if you cannot get the HB in your caliber, take a look at that 25-06 very versitile load. Good shooting, Jeff.
Old July 9, 2009, 05:44 PM   #9
tumbleweed2

Encore Accuracy

I currently own an Encore in rem 7mm magnum and have had the contender in many different barrels. All shot very well and are well made and dependable.

I believe the taking of neck shots on big game animals is not one of the better shots. Granted, if everything goes perfect, the animal goes down quickly. But lets say you don't have a perfect rest, or the animal moves, or your breathing heavily from hiking and the bullet goes where you don't want it to go, like taking off the lower jaw or passes through a part of the neck where it does not connect with anything of importance but produces a nasty wound and the animal leaves at a high rate of speed only to die of starvation or infection. Another thing to consider if you like to eat big game, which is why most of us hunt, is that if you hit an animal in the head or neck, they don't always bleed out very well and you end up with meat that is very dark in color and not quit as good eating. Hit them through the lungs or chest cavity and they will bleed out quickly. www.tumbleweed-camping-shooting.com
Old July 9, 2009, 07:12 PM   #10
trooper3385

+2 tumbleweed. My dad was a taxidermist and neck shots were a no-no. I shot one deer in the neck by accident. It was running and I led it to much, and after that A** chewing, I never did it again. Something about taxidermist having to do extra sowing gets there blood pressure up. I always got a good laugh when someone would bring a buck in to get mounted and they had cut the throat on it to bleed it. There business either got turned away or they paid for a new cape.