The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2009, 09:47 PM   #1
teddybaham

new to reloading, just purchased press

i bought an rcbs partner press kit. not planning on loading a whole lot of rounds unless its for my pistols, .40, .45 or 5.56 for my AR. but i am really intrested in tweaking loads for accuracy in my rifles. .300 wsm, 7mm mag,
7mm-08, possibly .280 its an auto, but suprisingly accurate. just wondering what the experinced opinion of this kit is, and are there any books, or articles ect. that i could read to get me on my way? thanks in advance
Old February 11, 2009, 09:36 PM   #2
Inspector3711

RCBS makes good single stage presses (I have a reloader special 5). I use mine for rifle only and I bought a Lee progressive recently just for pistol because it just takes too long on my single stage.

That kit.... RCBS makes okay stuff but not always the best of each thing. The scale will get you by but after upgrading to digital I couldn't be happier. I'd buy a powder trickler. Mine is an RCBS but here's where you could make a better choice. I'd buy a Redding trickler, its heavier so it won't move around on you. It's just a better quality unit for not much more $. It's not that the RCBS is bad, it's more that they have too high a price on something that could be designed a little better.

I'd have a Redding trickler by now but my new scale is a powder system so i don't need a trickler now.

I have their case lube system (same as the one you got) but I ended up liking doing it by hand with Imperial wax instead. I need to give the pad and lube to one of my friends or something.

I don't like priming with my press. After having two different RCBS hand primers fail I switched to Hornady. Some people report excellent results with the RCBS and Lee hand primers but that wasn't the case for me. The Hornady has a primer tray that'll accomodate RCBS shell holders which was a bonus. I LOVE the Hornady hand priming tool. You may like using your press for the task.

Get two reloading manuals and read them before starting. I think it's best that one from a bullet maker and one from a powder company. I have Hodgdon, Sierra, and Hornady manuals. They all have slightly differing opinions in them about certain things. Once I got going, I started collecting these little paperback load books for each caliber I reload (Complete Reloading Guide for .25-06 for example). They have load data from 7-8 manuals for $8. You need to read a couple of full sized manuals first though.

You can also get a book like "Precision Shooting Reloading Guide "by Dave Brennan. It goes much deeper into rifle reloading than a typical manual. It's nice because it touches base on reloading techniques for different rifle applications.

Read up on Lee collet dies...

Last edited by Inspector3711; February 11, 2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old February 11, 2009, 10:00 PM   #3
teddybaham

thanks for the info ill be reading up soon