The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 5, 2005, 03:27 PM   #1
FamDfndr

870 Wingmaster

Does the Wingmaster come in Synthetic? Is'nt it a step up from the express? Is the performance the same? Havent seen any at this side of the world.
Old October 5, 2005, 04:40 PM   #2
sne7777

I have never seen one. But you can buy after market stocks. I don't think Remington offers a synthetic stock right out of the box for a Wingmaster. You can check their website. It doesn't make sense to produce a polished blue receiver and barrel and put on a dull synthetic stock.
The 870 Express should give the same performance but is a bargain basement gun compaired to the Wingmaster.
Old October 5, 2005, 06:53 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

"Is'nt it a step up from the express?"

The Express is the budget model of the Wingmaster.

The Express is intended to compete against the much cheaper to make Winchester and Mossberg guns.

Remington reduced the Express price by using some plastic parts, changing the magazine assembly to a cheaper to make design, and by doing much less polishing and finishing.
Stocks are hardwood with a varnish-like finish.

The Wingmaster is Remington's top-of-the-line gun.
It has a fine polished blue finish, a chrome plated bolt, and high-grade Walnut stocks with Remington's famous "Bowling Pin" finish.
Old October 6, 2005, 05:32 PM   #4
browndog

I found a used Wingmaster 12 gauge, shoots 2 3/4 only, for $250. Looked like it was in real good condition. It had a very long barrel on it. I was looking for a HD gun so I didn't spend a lot of time looking at it, at the time. But then I was looking at the Remington site later and the only one I saw that shoots ONLY 2 3/4 is their classic trap that sells new for $800 (?). Any comments on whether it would be worth it to get this one for $250 and cut the barrel down vs getting a new express or Defender that is designed for HD? I've got an old Mossberg 500A now that holds 4 shells, so I was thinking about moving up because 1) the mossberg rattles and kicks like heck, and 2) more rounds in the tube. I know that if I can't get 'em with 4 or 5, I'm probably in trouble anyway, but the "toy" aspect of 8 rounds is pretty cool. But if this wingmaster is that much better of a gun.... Oh, what to do. Comments please!
Old October 6, 2005, 07:56 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The WM is as good as they get.The Express is not far behind,despite the snivelling of some folks. I've seen hundreds of 870s of all stripes and haven't seen a total dog yet.

A used WM for $250 in good condition is a fair to good price. You may not want to convert a pristine WM to a Mallninja weapon. A short barrel may cost $200 new. An Express with a short barrel may cost $250 or less. Do the math.

870s do not reproduce but they do multiply. Get the WM and learn to shoot it. Get a short barrel or a short barrelled second 870. You now have both a great recreational toy and a superb weapon. All for less than a first class pistol or rifle. Enjoy...
Old October 6, 2005, 07:57 PM   #6
Dfariswheel

New Remington Express defense guns are not much more than the used Wingmaster.

The Wingmaster is a nicer gun, and is essentially the same gun as the Remington Police model.

If you're a "do-it-yourself" guy, it's fairly easy to convert a Wingmaster into a great HD gun.

About the only problem in a conversion is replacing the front bead or sight, which is better done by a gunsmith.

There are many people who don't even bother with replacing the sight.

Cutting a barrel is easy, and if you decide to do it, let me know and I'll post a set of instructions that make a cut-down job easy enough that anyone can get a perfect outcome.

New magazine extensions by Choate cost around $40.00, and are simple to install.

The older gun that takes 2 3/4" shells-only is no handicap.
Very few people use 3" Magnum shells for HD due to the STIFF recoil, which makes followup shots slower.

In fact, many police and civilian shooters are going to the Reduced Recoil ammo for this reason.

Bottom line: Simply buying a Remington HD is the most easy, and the gun is ready to go right out of the box with no changes or accessories necessary, or really advisable.

The older Wingmaster is a smoother, better finished gun, that can be converted to basically the same thing as a Police gun, but does require some effort and buying a magazine extension IF you want one.
Old October 7, 2005, 03:47 PM   #7
tintcutter

Beside the nice finish like a bird gun should have, the barrel on the wingmaster is light and that is a physical difference from the standard 870 utilitarian models. I have shot plenty of buckshot through mine however.
Old October 8, 2005, 09:11 PM   #8
FamDfndr

Thanks for the feed back. Once again the Dealers do not carry all the models here so I depend largely on whether or not someone at the skeet club has the particular gun, or someone in the hunting party. Since only three of us hunt together there is not enough access to a wide range of shotguns. Most persons at the skeet club shoot Beretta Semis or Browning Over /Unders. One of my bird shooting partners has a Benelli Nova and the other has a Beretta Semi. Have not yet seen a wingmaster so apart from the website I have had limited access to information about this gun. My trainer at the shooting range has a Remington Express in 12guage he has converted it to a pistol grip (he is a Commander of a special police squad) does not do much bird shooting. However I shoot skeet and Hunt doves during the season plus I need to have a home protection gun. The 870 keeps on coming up as the number one pump shotgun to buy, so since the wingmaster is designed for bird shooting I think it would be the one to get. Thanks again for the feedback.

Protect your family.