The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 5, 2017, 09:22 PM   #1
rjinga

I Switched to Metal Ammo Cans and Re-labeled Them

I had most of my ammunition in metal containers already, but after further reading and YouTube viewing, I decided to go with all metal even for short-term static storage. I think I’ll use my three Plano plastic boxes for range trips, or some type of non-ammunition storage. And, given the weight, going forward I think I’m going to focus on metal .30 cal boxes for almost everything. So… if anyone has a good source for inexpensive containers, please let me know!

(Yes, that’s all I have right now, but everybody has to start somewhere.) Originally I’d tried to label the cans with my wife’s old hand-squeeze label maker. And when I say “old” I mean 25+ years old (including the label tape). Along with being too small to read from more than a foot away, the labels had a tendency to just fall off. So, I played around with the font and type size on my laptop, printed off a page, cut them to size and attached with shipping tape.

(Yes, I realize that the handles on the three .50 cal cans covers the bottom of the labels.) However, with the exception of these containers, as I said above, I’ll be moving to .30 cal cans whenever possible. Therefore, just seeing “7.62x51” on a .50 cal box will tell me exactly what’s in it. Each one of these cans contains the same thing: three 4-pouch bandoliers with 12 20-round G3 magazines in them (240 rounds each; 720 rounds total) for my PTR 91 rifle. These are for a grab-and-go WROL situation. The one .30 cal can is my current remaining boxed 7.62x51 ammunition. (Yes, I know I need to buy some more. My favorite online ammo seller is currently out of my favorite surplus ammo.)

The two .30 cal cans on the left each contain 400 rounds loaded on stripper clips for my SKS rifle. I’ll dip into these containers as needed for range trips (and then reload the stripper clips from the boxed ammo later). They could also be used in a grab-and-go WROL situation. The .50 cal can is about 4/5th full of boxed ammunition and it is heavy! So heavy that I don’t even want to lug it upstairs to weigh it on the bathroom scale. I’ll be moving the ammunition to .30 cal cans ASAP.

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Old November 5, 2017, 10:32 PM   #2
ThomasT

I like the font you used. Do you remember what it’s called? You can buy large sticky labels at the office supply so you don’t have to use tape. That’s what I use to label ammo boxes.

I have no idea where to get 30 cal ammo cans but I do know there are new made reproduction cans. Check google.
Old November 6, 2017, 05:34 PM   #3
rjinga

Getting Organized

I picked up an $18.00 shelving unit at my local Walmart this afternoon. It has adjustable shelves (250 lbs rating per shelf; 750 lbs total) and adjustable feet (if your floor isn't level).

Each shelf can hold: three .50 cal cans and one .30 cal can; or, two .50 cal cans and two .30 cal cans; or, one .50 cal can and four .30 cal cans; or, six .30 cal cans. (The angle of the photo makes the legs looked bowed out.)

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Old November 6, 2017, 08:16 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

No argument against being organized.

Just remember that ammo goes Bang! after decades of storage in the original paper boxes.
Old November 6, 2017, 09:46 PM   #5
rjinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratshooter View Post
I like the font you used. Do you remember what it’s called?
I used Microsoft Word. The font is Stencil, and the type size was 36 for the caliber and 26 for the words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratshooter View Post
I have no idea where to get 30 cal ammo cans but I do know there are new made reproduction cans. Check google.
I ordered three repops from ammunitionstore.com for $8.99 each plus shipping.

Old November 7, 2017, 06:47 AM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

I've always used metal for my ammo storage. Not that I ever did any kind of research on it, but it was what my dad used. I have a few that I really like, because they have a small lip sticking up from the lid to aid in stackability. Sadly, I have no clue where I got them. I've just had them for years and years.
Old November 8, 2017, 09:13 AM   #7
mdemetz

For metal cans(magnetic);
http://shop.ammocanmagnets.com/main.sc
Old November 8, 2017, 10:07 AM   #8
smee78

I also use the metal ammo cans, was easy to get them when I was in the AF but now I have to buy one as I find them here or there. To be honest I do perfer the 30cal cans due to the lighter weight but wont turn down a good larger can if the price is right.
Old November 8, 2017, 11:34 AM   #9
Minorcan

Thanksmuchto mdemetz for posting the link to the stickers They are even big enough for my 61 rear old eyes to read. This will make grabbing the right can easy!
Old November 8, 2017, 07:14 PM   #10
DaleA

Quote:
Thanksmuchto mdemetz for posting the link to the stickers They are even big enough for my 61 rear old eyes to read. This will make grabbing the right can easy!
Okay fine! Now I can SEE 'em, fine, but how about somebody to LIFT 'em for me? (Anybody with a strong back and range money want to go shooting? My guns, my ammo.)
Old November 8, 2017, 08:50 PM   #11
xandi

Bass pro will sometimes have a Black Friday special on the 50 cal cans($10 each)
Old November 10, 2017, 05:28 PM   #12
ChuteTheMall

Costco sells new twin packs, a .30 nested inside a .50, for about $15 on sale, normally about $19.
Old November 10, 2017, 07:53 PM   #13
Navy joe

Got them for the asking when we ran ranges or at sea firing exercises, the cans were often chucked overboard. Most proud of my 25mm can that I have filled to capacity with primers. PS. If that room is on fire, leave.
Old November 11, 2017, 10:22 AM   #14
berettaprofessor

Quote:
ut after further reading and YouTube viewing, I decided to go with all metal even for short-term static storage
OP, not sure I've ever heard that metal is really advantageous over plastic as long as there is a seal in the lid. What evidence/advantages have you heard that metal has? Thanks.
Old November 11, 2017, 11:50 AM   #15
Slamfire

I have many metal military ammunition cans. I found that over time adhesive labels dry out and fall off. Currently, I am spraying the front of the can with white paint and once that dries, writing in black ink what is inside the box. When the can is used for something else, I spray over that and re label.
Old November 11, 2017, 07:31 PM   #16
spacemanspiff

Looks like I'm the only one using a sharpie on my ammo cans.
Old November 13, 2017, 07:48 AM   #17
DMK

Quote:
I use a sharpie too.

When I use up the contents, I spray over the previous writing with Krylon OD camo paint and use the sharpie to re-label top and front.

I just reorganized my 5.56 this weekend. By dumping the rounds loose into the cans and throwing away the boxes for about half my stash, I was able to get two extra 50 cal cans.
Old November 14, 2017, 04:07 PM   #18
emcon5

Quote:
Black Sharpie on blue painters tape. Easily removable if the contents change.
Old November 17, 2017, 12:18 PM   #19
Obambulate

I got the 2-pack at Costco with a 30 cal inside a 50 cal. Very good quality. This was my first 30 cal can and I like the size. I filled it with 4 kinds of ammo for grab-n-go during the last hurricane.

You could also bury them with the 30 cal inside the 50 and I bet anything inside the smaller can would stay very clean and dry.
Old November 19, 2017, 06:44 PM   #20
DPI7800

I love using 30 cal ammo cans in conjunction with the Federal factory ammunition holders. As far as labeling I prefer to use the heavy paper target tape to label.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg real box 2.jpg (230.2 KB, 22 views)
Old November 21, 2017, 10:25 PM   #21
johnwilliamson062

If you are close to a base with any combat arms units they surplus them off regularly.
Old November 22, 2017, 09:11 PM   #22
rjinga

I got my three new .30 cal cans today. I labeled one and moved 26 20-round boxes of 7.62x39 into it. Here's the current set-up (unlabeled boxes are empty):

Old November 25, 2017, 08:01 PM   #23
Reloadron

While I go through the effort of making pretty labels for my loadings:

My ammunition, for the most part is all in steel ammo cans with 3.5 Index cards folded in half and stapled to the handles. Shelves? I just stack therm on each other till I figure the stacks are either listing too much or looking unstable. My ammo cans are several flavors of sizes. When I see a good price I buy a few as I figure you can never have too many. I even have several I think I bought at Walmart.

Ron
Old December 9, 2017, 02:36 PM   #24
rjinga

Most recent set-up

Top shelf, left to right: If I only have time to grab one thing, the .50 cal can has one 4-pouch bandolier with four G3 mags loaded with 80 rounds of 7.62x51 ammo for my PTR 91, one 2-magazine belt pouch loaded with 30 rounds of 9mm (in two mags) for my Sig P229, and 120 rounds of 7.62x39 ammo on stripper clips for my SKS (the stripper clips will either go in a bandolier or 3-clip belt pouches, depending on what Santa brings me). The first plastic box is for .308 boxed ammo (mostly hunting rounds that were given to me). The second plastic box is for empty G3 magazines. The last plastic box is a catch-all.

Middle shelf, left to right: The 1st two .30 cal cans are labelled for 7.62x51 boxed ammunition. Depending on how the ammo is packaged, I can get about 120 to 320 rounds in each can. If I don't get ammo for X-mas, I'll order more right after. The third .30 cal can contains 7.62x39 boxed ammunition. When it's full it holds 480 rounds. The last two .30 cal cans contain 400 rounds each of 7.62x39 ammo on stripper clips.

Bottom shelf, left to right: The three .50 cal cans each hold three 4-pouch bandoliers, so that's 12 magazines with 240 rounds of 7.62x51 ammunition per can. The last .30 cal can is for boxed 9mm ammunition. It currently has 120 rounds.

Last edited by rjinga; December 9, 2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old December 9, 2017, 05:36 PM   #25
Reloadron

Nice organizational skills. Maybe someday I'll get around to file by pile which for me would be an improvement.

Ron