The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 18, 2017, 10:03 AM   #1
TruthTellers

SCCY CPX-2. Any good?

The past couple weeks I've added a SCCY CPX-2 on the list of "Guns I'm thinking I want, but don't really feel I need." Here's the exact one I am looking at:

Intended use is not a range gun or for carrying. This will have a home defense role only, but it may become a carry gun.

I mostly just like the way the white polymer frame and the satin stainless slide look, there's no other handguns out there that look like this, so you could say I'm interested in buying this for it's looks.

Don't judge me.

Anyway, I've seen several videos and read reviews and most opinions are that the trigger is terrabad, it's fairly light so easy to carry, and for the money it's not a bad gun and the warranty is good.

The SCCY's have been out for a while now, what do people think of them? Have you had any experiences with the customer service department and were they good/bad?
Old March 18, 2017, 10:08 AM   #2
Soclosenotnear

I've sold many of them at my shop with no complaints. We've sold them as low as $230 new but usually get around $275 for new pistols. I understand Sccy are a corporation made up from Kel-tec ex-employees.

P.s. ours usually sell for the different colors as well. Pink and purple have ben selling, ha.
Old March 18, 2017, 10:14 AM   #3
MarkCO

They are interesting and I have some friends who have bought them. I like their business model, design, and dedication to American material sourcing. That they make everything in house and are almost religious about QC is quite appealing.

For CCW, sure, for HD, no thanks.
Old March 18, 2017, 10:59 AM   #4
TomNJVA

I've owned one for over a year now and really like it. People criticize the trigger, but this is not a range or competition pistol - it is intended for fairly close range self defense and suits that purpose well. It is a DAO and the trigger pull is long but very smooth. It comes with two 10 round magazines and the finger extension allows all three fingers on the grip for better stability with such a small and light 9mm.

My SCCY is kept in the center console of my car, and I also carry it when walking in the countryside. For home defense I prefer a larger gun with better accuracy and higher capacity, such as my CZ 75BD. For more discreet carry in social situations I prefer my LCP II.

Their customer service is highly praised. One time after cleaning I reassembled it improperly, causing the slide to jam. Even though this was my fault and I admitted as much, SCCY repaired it for free with no hassle, and made other upgrades as well.

TomVA
Old March 18, 2017, 12:03 PM   #5
pblanc

I shot one twice but if I recall correctly, it was the version without the external safety.

The pistol had been recently acquired by the owner who I happened to run into twice at the same local range. I shot a magazine through the pistol on each occasion.

On both occasions, the pistol malfunctioned for both me and the owner with several failures to return fully to battery and at least one double feed.

The trigger was mediocre at best, IMO, but not terrible for a pistol in this price range.

At this particular range, we had to shoot at a minimum distance of 25 yards. We both found it hard to hit anything accurately at that range, probably a result of the pistol's small size and trigger action.

I realize that this experience was with one particular pistol, but based on it I would not recommend this as a self-defense weapon unless you were prepared to thoroughly vet with with several hundred rounds, and be ready and willing to send it back to SCCY if necessary.

Unless you are absolutely sold on the cosmetics, if you are looking for a relatively inexpensive pistol in this size range, I would consider the Kahr CM9. The Kahr is a single stack pistol so it has less magazine capacity and the Kahr is striker-fired. The SCCY has an internal hammer. But the Kahr has a similar relatively long trigger pull that is much better, in my opinion, and the Kahr shoots much better and likely has a better reliability record.

Last edited by pblanc; March 18, 2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old March 18, 2017, 01:21 PM   #6
tahunua001

some people swear by them. I personally always thought they were ugly as hell. they do have a good price point but I'm not a fan of the long trigger pull, although now that I've been getting a couple DA/SA I find the longer pulls are so unforgivable, still would be nice if they released a SAO version with shorter, lighter pull. my LGS has a sale running on them right now for $240, I really had to fight off the urge to pick up the 4th handgun in the last month. I would rather take a CPX than a Taurus Millenium though. also, sccy has a 100% unconditional, transferable life time warranty so that speaks volumes about the company's devotion to their user base, if not to their product.
Old March 18, 2017, 03:14 PM   #7
Bill DeShivs

They are almost direct copies of the Keltec P11.
SCCY has taken a hint from Ruger and refined the looks of their copy gun until it looks better than the original.
I examined a very early model (SKYY) and it was a very crudely made gun.
That said, SCCY has apparently improved the product and they are becoming quite popular.
Old March 18, 2017, 04:01 PM   #8
Ibmikey

I have had several SCCY pistols however my "friends" thought they would be better owning them. I have one now that rides in my truck console and I don't tell anyone about it so maybe I can hang in to this one.
Among the three I have owned about 500 rounds went down the pipes and no malfunctions have occurred.
I have pistols I like better for carry but I have total confidence the SCCZy will fire if necessary. Plus their warranty is dynamite my first pistol had a safety that ate the web of my hand, a call to SCCY had a new frame without safety in the mail the next day....no charge.
Old March 18, 2017, 05:00 PM   #9
DanPop

Don't get the white frame, my son in law has a white frame/black slide and now the grip is discolored from gun powder where the stippling is.
S&W Bodyguard 380 Ruger LCP 380
Old March 18, 2017, 05:15 PM   #10
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahunua001
I would rather take a CPX than a Taurus Millenium though. also, sccy has a 100% unconditional, transferable life time warranty so that speaks volumes about the company's devotion to their user base, if not to their product.
This. I thought about the SCCY and the Taurus PT111 and I figure while the Taurus may be less and have a higher capacity, the small accessory rail, etc. the customer service with Taurus is infamously bad and the SCCY is a smaller, lighter gun for carrying if I ever decide to get a CCW.
Old March 18, 2017, 05:37 PM   #11
unclenunzie

I bought my CPX-2 in Summer of 2015. I've run a few hundred rounds of various types including gold dots both standard and +p. I've carried it on occasion and have no problem doing so when I feel like it. It's never failed in any way.

I have stuck to standard pressure 124 grain gold dots because SCCY says limited +P diet (gen 2 only), and looking over the internals I thought it best to follow their advice. +P was pretty snappy in this 15 ounce pistol anyway.

The two magazines it came with have a kind of powder coat finish, and inside they were really filthy with black stuff that wasn't firing residue. I cleaned them out thoroughly so the mags worked smoothly before I ever took it to the range.

I didn't care for the less-than tactile or audible reset so I detail stripped it and gave the trigger spring one half additional turn when reassembling. This dramatically improved the feel of the reset but of course added some weight to the already heavy (but smooth) long trigger pull.

The barrel had some extra steel near the lug that was obviously not meant to be there, so I removed it because it was ugly.

The CPX is deliberately fitted loosely to increase reliability (per SCCY), though I think this does affect it's mechanical accuracy. Not enough to care about for it's intended use.

I have a lot of carry capable pistols and this one is OK, but not impressive. I think it is a decent budget friendly gun if you need one immediately and don't wish to spend more or can't spend more. I bought it through one of the large distributors that provides a replacement guarantee and had it sold through my local FFL store. At the time the store did not stock SCCY pistols and they asked me if I would tell them how well it worked. After I shot it for a while I told them it worked with no problems, and since I bought it they started stocking them. I guess they sell well, I still see them on the shelves in lots of colors
Old March 18, 2017, 11:54 PM   #12
peggysue

Damn good gun. Get the red and black one...pretty..all mine..orange is sweet too

Last edited by peggysue; March 19, 2017 at 12:05 AM.
Old March 19, 2017, 09:04 PM   #13
ronl

I've had one for a few years now and have had no problems with it. Very nice pistol for the price and the warranty is very good. I actually found the gun to be more accurate than I expected, but it did take some rounds down the pipe to get there.
Old December 13, 2017, 08:58 PM   #14
SCCY

Love em!

Have three CPX 2's all black, black with a stainless slide, and purple withy a black slide.

My newest is a CPX 1 the TTWT model. White frame with a stainless slide.

Tags
cpx2 , sccy