The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 7, 2017, 07:58 AM   #26
Ibmikey

What is the big deal? Do we not have anything positive to say anymore? Perhaps after the first shot he will scratch his butt and change the grip to something more aesthetically acceptable to the posters. Or perhaps that is the grip he normally uses on his revolvers and is quite happy with it?
I have fired tens of thousands of rounds while active in police competition, have a lot of sooty fingers but cannot remember a burn from the cylinder gap or a group of people watching and telling me that I am doing things all wrong. We were one of the top teams in the state for several years running so we must have done something right.
Perhaps some person who is greatly bothered by the photo could contact Ruger and seek rebuttal from the fellow in question otherwise seems observations are a bit one sided here.
Thanks but I don’t need a tranquilizer
Old December 7, 2017, 03:24 PM   #27
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Do we not have anything positive to say anymore?
Looking back, most posters have said that it makes no difference how he holds it. Seems fairly accepting to me!
Old December 7, 2017, 07:47 PM   #28
Rangerrich99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond, James Pond View Post
W........ e.... l........ c... o..... m..... e
nicely done!
Old December 10, 2017, 09:54 AM   #29
walnut1704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerrich99 View Post
He is holding the gun semi-auto style; probably just habit. I don't think a typical target .44 spl round would take off your thumb. It would burn your thumb and of course it would hurt. But considering where his thumb actually is, I don't think he'd get burned.

I don't think it's necessarily a rule that one wraps their support thumb over their strong thumb; I believe it's a Jerry Miculek thing (I don't know that Jerry invented that style, but he's the first one I ever saw do it). I do it, but I know a lot of people that don't.
I also use a thumb-over grip. Since Mr. Miculek and I are very close in age, perhaps this style is a vestige of the Golden Age of Revolvers. He has given up on the Modified Weaver though, while I haven't. But I just shoot for fun.

People tell me I'm "doing it wrong" all the time. Whatever Sonny.