The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 18, 2017, 01:50 PM   #1
ks_wayward_son

New AR build

Hey there TFL. Been a while since I posted but just now thought I’d try a new AR build. I already have an M&P I want to keep pretty well stock except for some Magpul furniture and maybe compensator, but want to try a ground up build…sounds like fun. I just thought I’d throw out what I am thinking and see if you think it sounds like a pretty solid build thus far, and feel free to add any suggestions as I am very new with this platform. This is probably what I would consider a budget build, but I don’t want to cut corners on the hard wearing components.

For my upper receiver, thought I would go with an Aero Precision stripped upper.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...iate-_-Itwine-

For the BCG (bolt carrier group), I was thinking the Brownells M16 nitride finish. Pretty inexpensive, but have read on reviews that they are pretty good?
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod105377.aspx

Bravo Co. Warfighter medium charging handle.

Aero precision 16 inch barrel.
https://aeroprecisionusa.com/556-16-mid-cmv-barrel.html

Guntec 10” ultralight handguard.

Anderson stripped lower.

Rise Armament RA 140 trigger (btw Primary Arms is having a stellar sale on these @ 80.00)

VG 6 Precision Gamma 556 muzzle brake.

Magpul STR stock and MOE Plus grip.

YHM low profile gas block.

Then I will just fill in the gaps with mil spec components for the lower and upper receivers, along with the buffer tube, gas rod, etc.) For the optic I think I am set on either the Vortex Sparc or Strike Eagle, maybe go with some Magpul Offsets for back ups some time. Do you know of any offsets that a little less expensive but would fit the bill?

Like I said this is pretty much a budget build but I am more willing to put “a little extra” into the bolt carrier group and the barrel. I would like to hear your input on those two components especially.

Thanks for your input.
Old November 18, 2017, 02:35 PM   #2
ks_wayward_son

By the way as an afterthought for my M&P, I was thinking of swapping out the bird cage flash hider for the Strike Industries J Comp v. 2. Reviews have said that there's quite a bit of quality to that very inexpensive piece.
Old November 18, 2017, 03:01 PM   #3
BWM

I can NOT build an AR as cheep as I can bye . The makers have a hand full of guns that is sale very slow it is bye world now
Old November 18, 2017, 03:11 PM   #4
turtlehead

I'd go with a matching Aero lower. Locally they are going for $49.99.

Check out the Toolcraft BCGs. Bought 3 recently. 2 NiBs and 1 phosphate. Prices too good to pass up. See here: http://www.monmouthreloading.com/products-page/

The Black Friday sales should also be starting up on Monday or earlier... Great time to be an AR fan.

I have a bunch of BCM charging handles but they are definitely overpriced. Next time I'm going to try one of these: https://www.wingtactical.com/firearm...xtended-latch/

Just waiting to see the sales.
Old November 18, 2017, 03:39 PM   #5
turtlehead

One more thing. Aero owns Ballistic Advantage and that's where their barrels come from. They had a fantastic sale two weeks ago and I got the 16" pencil barrel for $125. Then had them add the FSB and delta ring / barrel nut. Keep an eye on them next week: http://ballisticadvantage.com/ar-par.../modern-series
Old November 18, 2017, 03:53 PM   #6
turtlehead

Here's a bad cell phone pic of my newest build. Inspired by marine6680 and his new Colt carbine with Magpul SL furniture.

aero carbine.jpg

Just waiting on the wrench to tighten it up. My first AR using the mil-spec barrel nut.

I don't know why my pictures come out sideways.
Old November 19, 2017, 01:46 AM   #7
ks_wayward_son

Turtle...thanks for all that info! I was debating about going with military style or lightweight pencil...think I am leaning toward pencil. Also, with the price of the Toolcraft BCG I think I will go that route as well. Looks like Monmouth has some outstanding deals right now! Your build looks great so far by the way!
Old November 19, 2017, 06:32 AM   #8
turtlehead

Thanks. So much fun to make your own.

This one has an MBus Pro rear sight, Noveske STS, BCM charging handle, delrin forward assist delete, BAD lever and BCM grip.

It weighs just under 6.1 lbs with the hand guard and gas tube. A very handy little rifle. You could shave another 4-5 oz or so off it with the plastic MBus rear sight and a Minimalist stock if you wanted.
Old November 19, 2017, 06:58 AM   #9
Mobuck

I'm going to quit using flash hiders. Waste of 2" added to the barrel and harder on the ears. If you want something besides a thread protector, use one of the "blast forwarder" muzzle devices.
Old November 19, 2017, 09:42 AM   #10
ks_wayward_son

Monmouth seems to be having a fantastic deal on the BA barrels right now...123.00 for a pencil 16". I looked around and I dont think you can beat that. I may go ahead and just get that and ask for forgiveness from the wife later. Plus pick up a Toolcraft BCG from Toms Tactical for 70.00 free shipping. I think I am already sold on the Aero free float handguards. Probably get an enhanced.
Old November 19, 2017, 09:50 AM   #11
Nathan

Upper - there are some pins in the upper that are a pain and built ones are usually just a few $ more.

BCG - that one looks nice. It is not HPT. the HPT one is $99.

CH - looks good. I prefer the large handle ambi ones like this

Barrel - Faxon pencil is lighter and $10 cheaper at Brownells. Faxon is a good brand

Trigger - sounds like the best for $80!

Stock - Magpul is fine. Their MOE works well, IMO. Why STR? Just wondering...

Gas Block - you might look at the Geisselle...it is ready to be pinned easily.
Old November 19, 2017, 11:51 AM   #12
G.barnes

If you want an aero barrel. Look at ballistic advantage. They are owned by AP. Get one of their barrels with pinned gas block and a free upper. Then take some of that money and get a better handguard and lower. Aero has some good prices on lowers. Then get an aero minimalist lpk for 30 dollars use the trigger you want and get a better grip than the a2. Look at toolcraft for a bcg. You can find the for about 90 dollars. Unless your planning on running a magnified optic get the small latch charging handle. Look at bcm for a good buffer tube kit for a good price.
Old November 19, 2017, 12:15 PM   #13
ks_wayward_son

Changed my mind thus far about the build. Think Ill be going:

Completed upper assembly: Aero Precision
Barrel: 16 inch BA pencil
Charge handle: Strike Industries
Muzzle brake/comp: SI Gamma (same)
Stock: Magpul STR (Same)...

Nathan to answer your question about why the STR its because it looks like it would provide a more comfy cheek weld...I know it would add a little weight prob. but I think it would work well.

BCG: Toolcraft Nitride
Optic: Vortex strike eagle
Grip: Magpul MOE +
Handguard: Aero precision MLOK enhanced

Then I will fill in gaps where needed. Thanks for all suggestions and replies everyone!
Old November 20, 2017, 03:36 PM   #14
Nathan

Quote:
Nathan to answer your question about why the STR its because it looks like it would provide a more comfy cheek weld...I know it would add a little weight prob. but I think it would work well.
I looked at it some. I had a Vltor and really liked that shape with battery tubes. I can see that value, especially with the optic.
Old November 21, 2017, 08:05 PM   #15
ks_wayward_son

I was looking at this gas block. For .625 barrel (since I got pencil profile).

https://www.righttobear.com/Black-Ni...5-p/sbn625.htm

Would the set screws be as stable as a pinned system?

Also, would this standard BCM mil spec buffer system be sufficient for my mid length gas system? Heard things about H1, H2, etc.

https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...)&groupid=2105
Old November 21, 2017, 09:37 PM   #16
turtlehead

No. But it doesn't matter. It's not going anywhere.

Yes. But no need to spend that much.

Start with the standard buffer first.
Old November 21, 2017, 11:07 PM   #17
ks_wayward_son

Been looking at AT3 recently too. Seems very reasonable in their offerings, specifically the handguards/rails. Plus buffer system is pretty reasonable too. Any experiences with them?

Rails:

https://www.at3tactical.com/collections/at3-quad-rails

Considering the quad rail here.

Buffer system:

https://www.at3tactical.com/collecti...tube-kit-ar-15

Keep replies coming! Thanks.
Old November 22, 2017, 06:48 AM   #18
G.barnes

Just get the pinned gas block with the BA barrel. The hanson series come with one standard, if you are getting a barrel that doesn't include it you can add it for 40 dollars.