The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 22, 2015, 09:47 AM   #1
IDT

So, I called out my senator for getting a CC bill defeated - and I got threatened.

In West Virginia we've been trying to get a Constitutional Carry bill passed. It passed the House by a wide margin and it passed the Senate by 30-4 - a true landslide.

Then Bloomberg got involved - started tossing money to Sen. Joe Manchin who took to the airways and started telling all sorts of lies about the bill and eventually convinced the Gov. to Veto the bill.

So I called him out on that in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8tingOWZwA

And then I got hate mail and even a few threats. It was insane.

So, I decided to fight back using nothing but logic, reason and a calm voice. And I posted this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8v0kmx9B_Q

Apparently the second video worked - not one singular piece of hate mail in the last 24 hours....well, maybe it's because they are all at church...
Old March 22, 2015, 10:32 AM   #2
Sigowner

Great video. However, from what you stated it appears that WV residents should really be angry with and do something about their governor. As a senator Manchin's opinion should remain just that as far as an ethical governor representing a state should be concerned. Time to begin a recall??
Old March 22, 2015, 11:06 AM   #3
steve4102

You can put the blame on Sen. Manchin and Bloomberg if you wish, but in reality that is not where it belongs.

If you want to place blame, place it on those that elected both Manchin, Governor Tomblin and the Law Enforcement Community that overwhelmingly Opposed this bill.
Old March 22, 2015, 11:47 AM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

Good job getting Manchin's statements on film. Who were the threats from?
Old March 22, 2015, 12:59 PM   #5
alan

I was unaware of the governor's veto.That being said, from the preponderance of votes in favor of the proposal, establishing Constitutional Carry within the state, an over-ride seems likely, though I would suspect that members of the legislature need to hear, should hear from their constituents, in favor of Constitutional Carry..
Old March 22, 2015, 01:26 PM   #6
Onward Allusion

I generally don't watch these types of videos, because I feel like it is preaching to the choir - me... However, I took the time to watch and I believe you did a VERY good job in stating and explaining your thoughts in the second video. The first video was a little heated IMO, but it did get the point across. Good luck in your fight in WV.
Old March 22, 2015, 02:01 PM   #7
IDT

Quote:
Great video. However, from what you stated it appears that WV residents should really be angry with and do something about their governor. As a senator Manchin's opinion should remain just that as far as an ethical governor representing a state should be concerned. Time to begin a recall??
Unfortunately, here in WV - we do not have a provision in our constitution which allows for recalls of any elected official.

Quote:
Good job getting Manchin's statements on film. Who were the threats from?
Thank you. I kind of ambushed him on that - there is a lot of backstory to the video and other issues that I "got" him on. As for the threats - I'm not going to say at this point. I'm still deciding on whether or not I should/need to turn those emails over to law enforcement or not.
Old March 22, 2015, 02:23 PM   #8
steve4102

Quote:
Nearly eight of 10 Kansans prefer people carrying concealed weapons to possess a state permit, and half would be less likely to back candidates who vote to weaken the permit system, a poll said Monday.
http://cjonline.com/news/state/2015-...s-need-permits

If this poll is accurate , there will be no Veto Override. That would be political suicide.
Old March 22, 2015, 02:33 PM   #9
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
If this poll is accurate , there will be no Veto Override. That would be political suicide.
Let's look at the source for the poll:

Quote:
Moms Demand Action and Everytown for Gun Safety Action Fund released polling conducted March 9-11 suggesting 78 percent of Kansans wanted people carrying concealed weapons to have qualified through the permit process.
We elect legislators to speak for us, not pollsters. The legislators appear to have spoken quite clearly.

As for the veto, can it be overriden next session, or will the bill need to be reintroduced?
Old March 22, 2015, 03:41 PM   #10
JimPage

I read that the bill would need to be reintroduced because the congress is no longer in session. Hopefully the next congress will pass it soon enough to have the opportunity to override the veto. That is not gospel because it was from a new source. They don't seem to be so accurate anymore.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum