The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 17, 2018, 06:35 PM   #1
Corona

Bersa day at the range

Picked up a used (gently, I believe) BT 380 a week or so ago and just had a chance to get it and its little bro, my BT 22, out to the range today.

Mostly, I was just function testing the 380 as this was my first time out with it. Put 100 rounds of Monarch brass and Blazer aluminum through it. Only one failure to properly eject - a Monarch round - but 100% ignition on all rounds. As expected, it’s a snappy little round but not uncomfortable at all.

Was shooting at 7 yards...21 feet...and surprising to me, was getting 3 inch groups. Had a little trouble picking up the front sight and will likely dab it with a dot of fluorescent green paint. All said, I’m very pleased. Actually shot it just as well one handed as I did two handed.

Only distraction was a periodic failure of the slide to lock back on an empty mag. Pondered that one for a while and realized I was riding the slide release with my right thumb. Once I adjusted my grip, and especially shooting one handed, problem solved.

Curiously, I don’t think I’ve had this happen with the 22. And they seem dimensionally the same. More practice is always a good thing.

The BT22 was its usual hoot. No misfires but maybe two failures to properly eject. Largely expected even with the MiniMags.

I like those little pistols a lot! Nice that I can use the same holster, they just have to take turns.
Old February 17, 2018, 07:40 PM   #2
Tom2

Just be observant if you intend to ever use the Bersa for SD. My bro bought a Bersa 380 for that purpose at home. He paid too much and I don't know if he got any advice from me. Had alot of issues with malfs and something important broke before too long, I think it was the extractor. Eventually he got a Beretta and I frankly, feel better about that for him. Actually I might have been even happier if he had gone wheelgun, as a somewhat casual user wanting something for home SD. He is not doing CCW as far as I recall. KISS principle and all. Actually with my number of options, I have used stuff like 1911, P-38, etc. over many years, but right now and for some time a wheelgun is the only charged and ready option for my level of needs right now. Just run that Bersa till you are really confident in reliability for anything but range time. As I am sure that some are better than others overall.
Old February 17, 2018, 11:45 PM   #3
JERRYS.

monarch ammo is fairly underpowered and aluminum casing split easily... each can cause extraction, ejection failures.
Old February 18, 2018, 01:03 AM   #4
Model12Win

For the money, the Bersas are some of the most rugged and reliable little pistol made on Earth. They have a tremendous following and the Thunder 380 is used as the sidearm of several South American militaries.
Old February 18, 2018, 03:09 AM   #5
Ignition Override

Corona: You're probably very aware of possible functional issues with Tula ammo.

In my used .40 cal. Sig P229, it operates mostly pretty well, but with about 1 round in 50, the slide does Not cock the hammer, but even in those cases it's normal with feeding/extraction and ejection. Seems good for practice ammo.
Approx. 200 rds. were used.

As for lacquered Russian cases: no problems at all, except more residue blows around the chambered, rigid cases. And Guys Don't Want To Clean Their Guns. They use steel, gunk blows around it, and then using brass, which expands, making extraction difficult.

Lacquer melts in chambers? How hot do your chambers get?
I heated our oven to 480* F., then after it was stable at 480, I put a Russian 9x18 lacquered case inside.

After 10 minutes I took it out and slowly wiped the case with a paper napkin.
Not the tiniest drop nor any stain was seen on the napkin.

Last edited by Ignition Override; February 18, 2018 at 03:22 AM.
Old February 18, 2018, 09:36 AM   #6
PeteH

Thanks for the report.
I like my bersas and shoot them regularly, no issues.
The wraparound grip on the bt380 makes a big difference for me.
Old February 18, 2018, 12:45 PM   #7
SonOfScubaDiver

My BT380 is one of EDC pistols. I've shot close to 1000 rounds through it. It's a good reliable gun.
Old February 18, 2018, 12:52 PM   #8
Corona

Ignition Override....yes, very aware of issues related to steel case ammo through the BT380. Even so, I’ve stayed away from Tula just because it seems really dirty. Had run some through an old CZ 82 and never thought I’d quit cleaning. Thanks for the reminder.

JerryS...I’ve shot a lot of Monarch in 9mm as well as the Blazer aluminum in 9mm and never had a problem with either. Both were acceptable for range work. Honestly, I wish there was a good alum case carry round as it would be noticeably lighter to carry.

Model12Win....I’ve read quite a bit about the BT380. Those who have them tend to really like them for what they are - accurate, reliable and pretty well made. Sure, it’s not a Sig or a Glock or a Colt. But for what they cost new and even better for what I paid for this used pistol, I couldn’t be happier. Frankly I really like having one in a SD caliber as well as a 22. Same weight and feel, same manual of arms....and same amount of fun.

So I’m still shaking this one down. What SD ammo would you recommend. Haven’t run HPs through it yet and wouldn’t feel comfortable about carrying it until I’ve had quite a bit more experience with it and many more rounds downrange.

Thanks everyone for you thoughtful responses.