The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 12, 2005, 11:03 AM   #1
BigDog(RE)

Outer's Foul Out

I shoot a lot of lead and I'm looking for an easier way to completely clean my barrel. Does this system work?

Right now I use cut up Chore Boy pads wrapped around an old brush,a nd it does OK, but that system looks a lot easier.

Thanks
Old October 12, 2005, 11:41 AM   #2
Blind Tree Frog

What company makes the kit where you bascially just have a 5 gallon bucket of fluid that you drop your gun into. Let it soak and then just give it a quick wipe and it's clean? (Just offering other ideas)
Old October 12, 2005, 11:49 AM   #3
omegapd

That's called a Dunk-it or something similar. Brownells sells it. A cheaper and easier way is a bucket of kerosene. Remove the grips, let it sit and wipe it off and add oil.
John 15:12-13

This is my command: love another as I have loved you. No one has greater love than this, that someone would lay down his life for his friends.
Old October 12, 2005, 11:52 AM   #4
Blind Tree Frog

Need to remove the grips with Dunk-It anyhow as Irecall.

How well does just a straight kerosene bath work?
Old October 12, 2005, 01:19 PM   #5
Mal H
Staff

BigDog is talking about getting the lead deposits out of the barrel. There's no dunk-'n-soak solution that will get that out that I'm aware of (at least one that won't damage the barrel itself).

Yes, the Foul Out system works very well. It's very expensive, but it works. If you decide to use it, follow the directions closely. A good conventional barrel cleaning and de-oiling is a must for the Foul Out to do the job. When done right, the lead comes out in gobs. In fact, after it seems to be done, give the barrel another good cleaning and use the Foul Out again. You'll get even more lead out (or copper, if that's the solution you're using).
Old October 12, 2005, 01:47 PM   #6
BigDog(RE)

I actually posted about the Dunk It kit...

but decided to give it a skip.

Mal is right though, it doesn't matter how long you soak a leaded barrel for, its not going to remove the lead. Thats why this system looks so interesting to me.

At $80, its not that big a cash layout, as long as it works as advertised.
Old October 13, 2005, 08:37 AM   #7
Oct_97

They work. You look at what appears to be a perfectly clean barrel and will then be amazed by the amount of lead removed with the Foul Out.

John
Old October 14, 2005, 10:53 AM   #8
John28226

Lewis Lead Remover

I have used a Lewis for years. It works well, is reasonably priced (or it was when I bought it) and is easy to use. You insert the rod into the barrel, affix a brass nickle size washer and pull it back through the barrel. Lead comes out in long skinny threads.

John
Old December 17, 2005, 02:11 PM   #9
Daniel BOON

Outers Foul Out

I use an Outers foul out. I can say this.....if you want your barrel cleaner than clean, and have the time (sometimes days with the old kit) this is the ticket; it works well with either lead/copper. new weapon/old weapon, it works. and it is expensive, bout $80. the solutions it uses is also expensive; I usually clean my long arms in the conventional way, then once or twice a yr I use the outers.
Honor, Duty, Country.
Old December 22, 2005, 10:25 AM   #10
pasquot

outers foul out

Do a search on the net for barel cleaning, firearms cleaning, etc. you will eventually come up with a homemade version of the foul out system. It will cost you about $20.00 to make. That foul out system is not necessary for everyday cleaning. Use it if you discover your groups are spreading out.

The other thing i found usefull is (wipe out) it's a foam cleaner you leave in the barell for about an hour then push the patches through. It does not remove the actual lead but it attacks the properites that lead is made up of.
either way it works. About $13.00 a can. Good for about 75 cleanings.
Old December 22, 2005, 11:04 AM   #11
pasquot

outers foul out

update on last post. did a search on the net under homemade gun cleaners. found www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

all kinds of advise on gun cleaning, etc
Old December 26, 2005, 09:42 PM   #12
RevoRick

thanks Pasquot, very informative and useful.
Old December 26, 2005, 09:43 PM   #13
RevoRick

thanks Pasquot, very informative and useful.