The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 2, 2018, 05:49 PM   #1
WyoLawyer

Carrying on Motorcycle

Any of you carry, either concealed or open, while riding? What are your thoughts on this?
Old June 2, 2018, 06:25 PM   #2
DaleA

My searching skills have deserted me but we did have a thread a while back about carrying when riding on a motorcycle.

IIRC big concerns were retention if you took a tumble and carry positions that were less likely to drive the gun thru a hip or kidney or spleen if you fell.

Maybe somebody else here can find it.
Old June 2, 2018, 07:37 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...torcycle+carry
Old June 3, 2018, 09:31 AM   #4
rodfac

Quote:
IIRC big concerns were retention if you took a tumble and carry positions that were less likely to drive the gun thru a hip or kidney or spleen if you fell.
Yep...if you ride enough, a fall is a 100% certainty. I'm up on a BMW 1200 GS, and my CC goes into jelly roll pack right behind my butt...transverse mount. Any holster, (I'm an 4 o'clock carry, OWB guy), displays the gun for all to see with my summer riding jacket on, and I'm not willing to carry in another position. If you're committed to carrying while on the bike, a shoulder rig might work out.
Best Regards, and ride safely...Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old June 3, 2018, 06:09 PM   #5
DaleA

Thank you Aguila Blanca.
Old June 5, 2018, 03:39 PM   #6
scottycoyote

i have a removeable tank bag that fits any metal gas tank with the magnets built in and cinches down with webbing.....i have multiple bikes and just put it on whatever bike im riding, doubles as a backpack. I always put all my goodies in the tank bag and it holds the gps, etc and my pistol. Easy enough to slip the pistol into my pocket or jacket when i get where im going if i dont tank the whole bag in with me. Hitting the pavement is bad enough without a gun to deal with sliding along with you, injuring you worse or possibly discharging.
Old June 6, 2018, 03:34 PM   #7
DPris
Member Emeritus

Decades ago, when I rode, I got tired of cars treating me like I wasn't there.
Strapped on a visible .357 Mag on a standard cartridge belt one day for a long ride, and you wouldn't believe the difference in traffic around me.
Denis
Old June 6, 2018, 11:01 PM   #8
Charlie98

I actually rode for the first time last week with my Kahr CM9 in my standard carry holster, except worn at 10 O'clock instead of 4 O'clock... it was OK and didn't bother me as much as I would have thought. As soon as I unzip, however, the butt is peeking it's head out... not my favorite thing. It doesn't work well in any of my pockets, including my jacket.

Any other time I just have it in my tank bag or back pack.

I don't know how well a shoulder holster would work on a bike like my Ducati... where I'm leaned over a bit at the bars, but it would probably be OK on a sit-up-straight bike.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old June 7, 2018, 10:54 AM   #9
rpseraph

I don't ride. But friends that do have a tank bag that they keep it in, in a holster. Getting onto the bike, take out IWB and slip into tank bag. Getting off bike, take out of bag and slip IWB.

I have read a lot stories of brandishing while riding, crashing and destroying their CC, and the worst is crashing and the CC breaking hips, puncturing people's spleens/kidneys, etc.
Old June 7, 2018, 12:38 PM   #10
DPris
Member Emeritus

If I still had a motorcycle today, I'd be riding it with the everyday pistol concealed in the everyday way.

Having actually met a car in a violent way & learning to fly short distances without an airplane, I can truthfully say the gun, in a wreck, would be the least of my worries.

(The flying part there was relatively easy, by the way, only breaking three toes going over the handlebars. It was the landing that was the major problem.)
Denis
Old June 7, 2018, 03:12 PM   #11
ThomasT

Quote:
(The flying part there was relatively easy, by the way, only breaking three toes going over the handlebars. It was the landing that was the major problem.)
Denis
I had my own self induced encounter with flying through the air and hitting the cement. My choice of riding gear, cut of jeans and nothing else. No shoes, no shirt no nothing. Whisky, motorcycles and showing off is as bad as whisky and guns. Maybe worse. But thats how lessons are learned. The kind of lessons that really stay with you. Been with me for nearly 40 years now.
Old June 7, 2018, 03:24 PM   #12
DPris
Member Emeritus

Mine was entering an intersection 49 years ago, when an oncoming car didn't see me (or care) and made a left turn right into me.

My helmet (required by state law at my age) saved my life. I somersaulted at least once over my handlebars & his car hood & came down on the back of my head. The helmet was thoroughly chewed up back there, and I still have ground-in asphalt in my shoulders.

Just a thin summer shirt & Levi's, but that helmet made a lifelong believer outa me.

Back to the subject- had I been wearing a gun, it would not have been an issue on the type of ground impact I had that day.

Had previously dumped a bike in gravel at low speed, just a few scratches.
Gun would have posed no danger of additional injuries on that one, either.
Denis
Old June 7, 2018, 04:58 PM   #13
Mike38

I place my pistol in a saddle bag while riding. Matter of fact, I also empty my pockets, no cell phone, no wallet, nothing. As mentioned above, it's not if you're going to crash while street riding, but when. My when has already happened, hope it's only once. Something about having the outline of my pistol permanently embedded on my body wouldn't be enjoyable. Then to add insult to injury, the gun would discharge while I'm tumbling or sliding down the street. Not good.
Old June 7, 2018, 08:00 PM   #14
Charlie98

Quote:
As mentioned above, it's not if you're going to crash while street riding, but when.
Personally, I think that's BS. I've been riding for 30+ years, the last 20 here in Dallas, you simply have to have your mind about you and be able to read the traffic. If you are pulling out of the driveway wondering if This Is The Day, you need to stay home. I'd be curious about the motorcycle crash statistics for the Dallas area, there are a lot of motorcycles around, and a lot more inattentive drivers.

Now... my dirt bike is another story...

Old June 8, 2018, 01:20 AM   #15
DPris
Member Emeritus

Once upon a time was riding merrily down the main thoroughfare in town & an older guy in a truck missed the stop sign on the side street he was on, blew right through it & across directly in front of me to the other side street opposite, narrowly avoiding (by the grace of God) killing me.

If I'd been going 3 MPH faster, he would have taken me out.
He was easily doing 30 MPH, never saw the stop sign, never even slowed down.

I was so pissed I chased him down & gave him hell over it.
In his 70s, an old farmer not used to driving much in town.
Very apologetic.
Had not seen either the sign or me.

There are things & people out there that'll kill you no matter how careful you are while riding.

Denis
Old June 8, 2018, 01:53 AM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

A friend of mine was struck at the gas pump, while fueling his bike. He survived the impact and the fire (and walked with a cane the rest of his life), but the VP-70 (yes it was that long ago..) in his saddlebag did not survive the fire. The frame kind of melted...

Quote:
As mentioned above, it's not if you're going to crash while street riding, but when.
Quote:
Personally, I think that's BS.
It may be, but its the BS that keeps insurance companies profitably in business.

One place I worked hadn't had a fatal accident in over 30 years, but according to the insurance people we weren't safe enough, and they raised the rates because we were "overdue" for an accident.

the boss went and found a different insurance company after that...
Old June 9, 2018, 07:21 PM   #17
franco45

After over 50 years on 2 wheels I made the transition to 3 wheels this year. I usually pocket carried a 380 or a 38 special when I rode. I'll just stick with the same strategy on the trike. I have been thinking about owb under a vest lately though.
Old June 12, 2018, 01:35 PM   #18
Charlie98

Quote:
It may be, but its the BS that keeps insurance companies profitably in business.
*scratches head*

Paying off accidents doesn't help an insurance company's bottom line, or I'm missing what you are saying.

I'm not saying accidents don't happen, but the fatalistic view that eventually you are Going To Get It... that it's guaranteed... I just don't buy it.

Old June 12, 2018, 03:20 PM   #19
shinerjohn

When I ride, I carry the same way I do when I'm walking. Strong side, open carry. I open carry everywhere. I see no reason to change because I'm riding my bike. I do frequently use a retention holster but not always.
Old June 15, 2018, 12:03 AM   #20
Geezerbiker

I carry a M1911 in a leather belt pouch holster. It's hardly noticeable poking out from under my leather jacket.

Tony
Old June 15, 2018, 05:35 AM   #21
buck460XVR

I carry my 637 in an ankle holster. Easy enough to access while on the bike and will not come into play if I roll down the pavement.
Old June 15, 2018, 07:33 PM   #22
oljames3

Riding or driving, the only concession I make is in SWMBO's car. She says the grip of my S&W M&P M2.0 9mm 5inch cannot touch her leather seats. So I unclip the Safariland QLS mount that holds my 7TS ALS holster on my belt and deposit the holstered pistol in the door pocket. Otherwise, it is at 3 o'clock on my belt.
Old June 15, 2018, 09:40 PM   #23
ChuteTheMall

Motorcycle cops have been open carrying for over a century, without moving guns into luggage after every stop.
Old June 15, 2018, 10:43 PM   #24
Doyle

Quote:
Motorcycle cops have been open carrying for over a century, without moving guns into luggage after every stop.
True, but they don't have to worry about concealment. Most people on this forum don't have that option.
Old June 15, 2018, 11:23 PM   #25
shinerjohn

Before open carry was legal in Texas, I carried the exact same way with my shirt tail pulled out covering the weapon. OWB is the most comfortable method of carry for me.