The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 5, 2001, 02:34 PM   #1
PJR

Decided to thin the collection recently so out went a trap gun that wasn't getting much use, a semi-auto shotgun a friend of mine wanted and a rifle. They went for reasonable prices and I'm left with a not unreasonable bankroll to spend on a shotgun(s). Currently, I have a trap gun, an over/under that covers skeet and sporting duties, a sxs game gun and, of course, a Remington 870 for HD and deer hunting (I am convinced that no self-respecting TFL shotgunner should be without an 870 or two).

All my guns are 12 gauge so I'm leaning towards getting into the smaller gauges. My options are to fit my sporting gun with subgauge tubes, buy a subgauge barrel or two and a sporting stock for my trap gun (an older Krieghoff) or buy a 28 gauge Remington, either an 870 or 1100. Any recommendations or other ideas?

Paul

Old June 5, 2001, 04:07 PM   #2
Bud1

Briley Companion tubes are 28 gauge, will drop right in to your Krieghoff barrels, and are very reasonably priced. You will probably have some money left over for reloading equipment to keep the 28 gauge habit at a decent cost.
Old June 5, 2001, 04:14 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

That's the kind of quandary that's fun,Paul. A couple of suggestions, including NOT buying another shotgun. That one first.....

Instead of another shotgun, howzabout a shotgun trip? Maybe doves in Mexico, mallards in Arkansas around Stuttgart someplace, or?....

Or maybe,since I don't know how well you shoot, taking a seminar in whatever interests you, like Sporting Clays, or maybe a weekend doing "Serious" training with one of the experts like Farnum, Cain, Saurez, Ayoob,et al...

Or perhaps upgrading a shotgun you already have? Vang that 870, or maybe a Wenig stock is in your O/U's future. Maybe just a carload of mixed trap 8's and high brass 6's? Something to ponder....

But if your training is up to where you want it to be, your shotguns are just like you want them to be and there's a hole in your collection just aching to be filled...

My mentor in trapshooting is singing the praises of his Ruger 28 ga O/U. I've handled the thing, and it seems a neat little grouse/quail/incoming dove at waterholes shotgun. Lots of good ink about it on other sites, including places where the name "Ruger" is rarely pronounced.

Or, consider that 1100 in either 20 or 28 gauge. The 20 ga 1100 is an excellent and responsive weapon.Bet the 28 is too.

Quite a quandary,but it's Win-Win. Good luck....
Old June 5, 2001, 07:02 PM   #4
K80Geoff

Tubes

Briley companion tubes in a K32. Hope you are into weightlifting

Subgauge barrels for the K32 are a bit pricey and the weight may be different . Also they are fixed choke so have limited flexibility.

Check out the Franchi 28 ga, I believe it is a montefeltro but not sure. Very light and works on blowback so it is not as sensitive to dirt as the remington. Ducks Unlimited had a special model a couple of years ago and I must have spent enough money on raffle tickets to buy one, but did not win.

If you really want a set of Briley Companions, I can give you a good deal on a set that I no longer need. But fuggedabout putting them in the K32 unless your name is Ahnold

Geoff Ross
Old June 6, 2001, 07:55 AM   #5
Bud1

Geoff, you and I have different definitions of what constitutes weightlifting. Adding 12 - 15 ounces to an already 8 1/2 pound gun is not THAT bad, now is it?
Old June 6, 2001, 09:09 PM   #6
PJR

Geoff:

I agree about subgauge tubes in the K32. Maybe I'll poke around until I find a 28 gauge set. If I went with subgauge tubes they would go in my Beretta.

Dave:

You must be telepathic. One of my options was to trick out the 870 either with Vang or Clark. A grouse hunting trip has crossed me mind as well.

Thanks for the advice.

Paul
Old June 7, 2001, 05:26 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Not telepathic,Paul,just of similiar interests and tastes.

Wonderful Wife is telepathic,she knows just what I'm thinking most of the time...
Old June 7, 2001, 08:21 AM   #8
Clemson

To me, the fun of shooting the smaller gauges is in swinging a slender barreled gun. I would advise you to get a 20, 28, or even 410 gauge gun just for the pure fun of it. The 20 gauge 1100 is a sweet shooter. If you are going for a 28, the 1100 is nice but expensive. You might want to trust your instincts there and hold out for an 870. I recently bought a Wingmaster in .410, and it has raised the fun quotient a notch or three for my sporting clays practice! The Wingmaster is certainly a smoother gun than the express models, and it looks better to my eyes.
Old June 5, 2002, 06:56 PM   #9
Greg G

Companion Tubes for a Browning o/u

Hi All,
I resurrected this thread as I did some searches before I asked the question. A friend asked me if I could come up with a recommendation for some companion tubes for his Browning Sporting clay model o/u 12 gauge. It has 32" barrels. He is an occasional shooter and I think he is interested in having something to play around with. He asked me if I could come up with a ball park figure for a set of tubes in maybe three or four sub gauges. Do they come in multi gauge kits or do you just buy the individual ones you want? I would appreciate any comments and/or links to places where I can get pricing info. Thanks.
Old June 7, 2002, 09:43 PM   #10
Bud1

Here you go, Greg:

http://www.briley.com
Old June 8, 2002, 07:23 AM   #11
Greg G

Thanks, Bud1.