The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 16, 2019, 05:34 PM   #1
2wheelwander

Cheap shooting gongs

Found this on a link from an email. 20% off with code 46100, free shipping over $99. It isn't 1/2" AR500 steel, but claims to be certified DOD armor plating. For the price I figured I'd give it a whirl. Most of my shooting will be with pistols anyway and no steel core out of rifles. Magnetic stencils are super cheap as well. With discount the 5/16" 8" gong is about $14. Going a long way to setting up my range!!

https://gun.deals/product/save-20-ba...ootingtargets7
Old March 17, 2019, 08:58 AM   #2
zeke

The top description lists it as 515 Brinell, slightly harder than AR500 (500 brinell). It hangs by those little tabs, which do not last long on our rifle range (crack off, not shot off). If hung up proper and allowed to swing freely back, 5/16 inch is plenty strong for rifles over 100 yds. Eventually they cup, but rotating them front to back minimizes this.

If the mounting tabs break off, they are tougher to hang up. We have remounted some by using black tips to punch new holes for mounting. Normal drills don't stand a chance, water jets/plasma cutting do. Another option for rehanging is heating up specific areas to maybe lose temper enough to drill. Course you now have eliminated the hardness in that area.
Old April 10, 2019, 05:13 PM   #3
Joe-ker

I just got some 3/8 AR500 from midway for 15$ a piece on sale. I plan to look at the metal guy next time I'm there.
Old April 10, 2019, 07:28 PM   #4
2wheelwander

I received these a week or 2 ago. Seem like good quality. Getting them hung by old inner tubes for now. Haven't had a chance to shoot at them yet. They are heavy as all get out. Good first impression.
Old April 24, 2019, 01:26 PM   #5
SageRatSafaris

JC Steel Targets is the big name in steel targets. Met the owner at a PRS match he was directing (they sponsor events across the country), great guy, great products.