The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 24, 2018, 11:13 PM   #26
Screwball

Prefer it on there... the gun came like that. The one on my Yugo is safe.
Old September 27, 2018, 12:38 AM   #27
SDF880

With! I have a mint Paratrooper model standing guard in the house it is a good lil shooter. If SHTF and I need to use it I think for the bad guy(s) a bayonet pointed at them along with the rifle makes a statement "This guy is F N nuts" They just might do a 180 and no shots fired or not I'm ready either way!
Old September 27, 2018, 02:18 AM   #28
gshayd

About 20 Britsh were ambushed in Basra Iraq in 2004 and they ran low on ammo. They fixed bayonets and charged over 600 yards and closed with their ambushers. In the end, 20 ambushers were killed and the ambushers decided they didn't like cold steel and were routed. Three of the British troops were wounded. So maybe it isn't quite outmoded. I remember going through bayonet training in the Army. I have an SKS I bought when they were under $100.00. I think I paid $69.00 for it...lol. I keep the bayonet on it because of that's the way it came.
Old September 30, 2018, 03:28 PM   #29
Auto5

My Norinco cut down paratrooper model has no bayonet or bayonet lug, no flash suppressor, pistol grip or any of those scary things that would make it a prohibited "assault weapon" .
Old October 1, 2018, 06:56 AM   #30
agtman

Quote:
About 20 Britsh were ambushed in Basra Iraq in 2004 and they ran low on ammo. They fixed bayonets and charged over 600 yards and closed with their ambushers. * * *
And that's really the role of the bayonet anyway: it's a secondary or "back-up" weapon - maybe even a 'last ditch weapon' - for when there's little or no ammo left in your rifle.

I have a bayonet for every one of my M1s, although the Garand's bayonet was carried separately on the GI's belt until mounted.

If my only 'survival rifle' was an M1, there would absolutely be a bayonet kept close by.

Quote:
I keep the bayonet on it because of that's the way it came.
Yep. If nothing else, it's part of the original, "as-issued" configuration of an SKS, and thus is integral with its history. Same with the Mosins.

Maybe that SKS's bayo was once used to jab a French soldier in the ass at Den Ben Phu ... if it could only talk.
Old October 2, 2018, 12:42 PM   #31
Skans

What's the point of having an SKS without the bayonet? You can use it to help pick up used targets and other "range trash" after shooting it!
Old October 4, 2018, 11:44 PM   #32
Brian48

I'd want the bayonet just to drive the antis crazy.
Old October 6, 2018, 08:27 AM   #33
Hdonly

I have two. One is a Norinco with no lug or bayonet. It has been shined up with a refinished wood stock, jeweled bolt carrier and a scope. My other one is an old beat up 1962 Chinese/Albanian model (C&R) so the old beat up stock stays with the bayonet and all things that came with it. Guess which one shoots the best. Yup, the old beat up one with the blade attached.