The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 26, 2004, 12:45 PM   #1
Dobe

Range Bag?..Your Choice

I know that this has been posed many times. I did a search, but could not find anything. I am looking to make a purchase of a high quality range bag for autos and revolvers. The type of shooting is combat-style / plinking.

Thanks in advance,

Dobe
Old December 26, 2004, 01:07 PM   #2
OJ

http://www.ishot-inc.com/store/

In my experience, i-Shot is by far the best with the best after sale service also.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
Old December 26, 2004, 01:14 PM   #3
SnWnMe

I have an el cheapo camera bag with lots of pockets that I bought for $10 at the Aloha Stadium swap meet (I probably paid too much). The size is just right for use as a stage bag.
Old December 26, 2004, 01:27 PM   #4
Brian 45

I use Dillons range bag as it has lots of pockets for all the extra stuff I think I need.
Although not dirt cheap, it is made to carry items with some weight and works well for me.
Old December 26, 2004, 03:03 PM   #5
Derius_T

Me, I'm frugal. (frugal = CHEAP)

I got a nice heavy range bag in a nylon type material at my local sporting goods place (DICKS) for around 10-15 bucks. Plenty of room and padding, and all kinds of zippers for stuff. Nice adjustable shoulder strap, and carry handle.

I'm not a for looks kinda guy tho. I go with cost and functionality.

(Plus I like going to the range with my $10 bag, my wal-mart ammo, and my $300 gun, and putting holes in the paper better than the snobs with $2000 worth of gear)
Old December 26, 2004, 03:20 PM   #6
38splfan

Uncle Mikes

My wife just got me an Uncle Mike's range bag for Christmas. It is great, lots of pockets, padding, and included a zippered pistol rug if you don't have your own. Really nice deal. They go on their web page for about $45 I think.
Old December 26, 2004, 03:21 PM   #7
Number 6

Try Green Mountain bags

http://www.greenmtnsports.com/

The "frugal" will appreciate the overstocks/samples/blemished goods at ridiculously low prices.
Old December 26, 2004, 07:52 PM   #8
Pinky Carruthers

I have a rangebag from WRB that I am very happy with. The site is www.WRBUSA.com. I have the Deluxe Range Bag 15".
SOM
Old December 27, 2004, 07:53 PM   #9
vluc

i-SHOT without a doubt!
Old December 28, 2004, 04:25 AM   #10
gudel

I use the red toolbox. fits ammo, cleaning kit etc. works great, lockable too. I can fit couple pistols in boyt soft cases in that box too.
Old December 28, 2004, 07:17 AM   #11
straightShot

It's gotta be a Bagmaster bag...American made and guaranteed for life...

Straightshot Shooting
Old December 28, 2004, 10:39 AM   #12
johnbt

Big canvas tool bag from Lowe's for $25. It'll hold 2 guns in plastic cases plus stapler, muffs, Brownell's screwdriver set and a bunch of other stuff. Lots of little pockets inside and out and it comes with a shoulder strap.

John
Old December 28, 2004, 12:39 PM   #13
M700

I have this Bagmaster that I have been very happy with.

https://www.bagmaster.com/website/cart/shopexd.asp?id=7
Old December 28, 2004, 02:10 PM   #14
FirstFreedom

Well, my range bag doesn't carry guns, only range equipment. I have a separate case that carries pistols only (carries 4 easily), and several rifle/longgun cases.

As for my range bag for carrying gear, I recommend you do what I did. Go to Lowe's - get of the canvas toolbags with heavy reinforced bottom - $17.95 or so, and much more durable and larger than most range bags. I understand that camera bags and baby diaper bags are also useful cheap range bags. They can shove it on the prices they want for dedicated gun range bags, relative to the price of these mentioned.
Old December 28, 2004, 02:36 PM   #15
Rich Lucibella
Staff

I-Shot without question.
Helmie's stuff is so well thought out and so well made, it stands head and shoulders above the next best.
Rich
Old December 28, 2004, 02:59 PM   #16
dairycreek

Dear Dobe

This is another "vote" for Bagmaster. I have used their products for six or seven years and never had a problem. High quality, well made, rugged and durable stuff all around - based on my personal experience I recommend it without reservation

GOOD SHOOTING
Old December 29, 2004, 12:07 AM   #17
straightShot

M700:

The bag that you have is the Bagmaster Pro-Shooter's Bag Tournament Model 2. We have a number of these versatile bags in stock, and our everyday price for the PSB TM2 is 10% below retail.

Here's a quick link to the the PSB TM2: Straightshot Shooting PSB TM2

Dobe:

If you should have any questions regarding any of the Bagmaster bags that we offer, please send me an email or give me a call. Good luck.

Take a kid shooting,

Dave Edwards
Old December 29, 2004, 09:25 AM   #18
K80Geoff

"Gatemouth Bag" from Home Depot, also sold in Lowes and similar places. I use two for work to carry equipment and suupplies around. They come in different sizes and my last purchase was a twofer, big and small bag in the same package.

They are heavy duty, cheap, have lots of internal and external pockets to carry stuff and do not look "Gunny" or tactical.

Only thing I cannot fit is the full silhouette targets

PS for a certain unnamed member of this forum: They make good diaper bags, this might be usefull
Old December 29, 2004, 10:46 AM   #19
phungus

I got a bag from Academy for around $10-15 or so. It was actually in the firearms section but near the shotgunning/hunting stuff. Red and black, it was called something like a Hunting equipment bag or something like that. It works great for carrying my ammo, muffs, pistols, mags, cleaning supplies, safety stuff, screwdrivers, etc. Seems to be heavy-duty enough to carry 500-600 rounds of .45, 9mm, 7.62x39, .44, etc.

And it looks like a range bag.
Lots of Ammunition!
Old December 29, 2004, 11:13 AM   #20
MikeTBC

This GunMate is VERY nice ... and only $21
Old December 30, 2004, 02:28 AM   #21
ManChicken

That Gunmate is the one I have, purchased at a local Galyans.. cheap and fine for me, though I now could use something slightly bigger.
Old December 30, 2004, 09:26 AM   #22
Dave Markowitz

When I go to the range I take a 24" toolbox to hold stuff like my staple gun, ear plugs, cleaning and maintenance supplies. I also take a musette bag which holds targets, more ammo, a small spotting scope and table top tripod, plus a handgun or two in cases.
Old December 30, 2004, 11:35 AM   #23
wyrdone

Depends on what I'm taking to the range.

Ammo: 50cal ammo can with various ammo. 30cal ammo can with 7.62x54 for Nagant. 50cal ammo can with BP powder and caps.

Blackpowder: I have a Craftsman top load toolbox that holds all my various equipment, patches, spare balls, measures, cleaning equipment, etc.

My usual range carry is a Harbor Freight aluminum briefcase/toolbox. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=35777
Old January 1, 2005, 08:05 PM   #24
Ex-MA Hole

I started with a bag from Wal-mart, when it was just a .22. Now that I have a few more toys, I have been using a "tool bag" from the local Army/ Navy store.

This is a link to the same bag, but NOT where I bought it from, so I can not recommend this site:

http://www.fatiguesarmynavy.com/store/item/FA1994

HEAVY green canvas, and it is rectangular. I put the ammo boxes accross the bottom, then the targets at an angle in a manilla folder of FedEx envelope, then my guns in those cheap triangluar bags, then thats it. I think I paid $15 for it.

I recently bought a strap from a camera store ($10), so now I sling it over my shoulder and go.

It has little holders on each side for tools, but I find that mags fit real well in them, too. I have removed the stitching between some of these pockets to make them double wide, and they will hold my range glasses, bug spray, whatever.
Old January 2, 2005, 10:08 AM   #25
MikeTBC

Surplus at CheaperThanDirt