The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 1, 2017, 07:07 PM   #1
Slamfire

Please Identify this Rear Sight

Because I cannot. I purchased this from a vendor at a Gunshow, neither he nor I knew what it was, but I thought it might be a P14 rear sight. I recall reading that the rear sight for the British version of the M1917 had click adjustable elevation. Alas, this sight will not fit a M1917 as the base is the wrong width.

An original Winchester M1917 rear sight is in the picture for a comparison. The unknown sight has a click adjustable aperture. As you can see, for the unknown sight, one side of the ladder is marked in yards and the other side of the ladder is marked in mils. The elevation slide is marked from 1OO yards to 2600 yards, and 0 to 60+ mils.

Given that it does not fit any of my bolt guns, or any of my semi autos, I suspect this could be a machine gun sight.

Anyone know what this fits?
Old January 1, 2017, 07:23 PM   #2
BillM

M2HB 50 cal rear sight.
Old January 1, 2017, 07:35 PM   #3
Slamfire

Thank you for the identification.

Never had a Ma Deuce, never shot one, never owned one, but at least, I own part of one!
Old February 7, 2017, 02:42 PM   #4
F. Guffey

I have an old Belgium 7mm Mauser with that sight mounted on it. I sold/traded all of my Browning 50 parts, I had a rear sight that was 3 times as big as the M1917 rear sight. And I have books, problem with my books the information is never good enough. Reminds me of my B36 books, I have the only set that claims the ignition (all 6 engines) system in synchronized off of engine #1.

F. Guffey