The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 15, 2018, 07:16 PM   #1
Prof Young

Breaking in new leather holster . . .

So I bought a "Desantis The Maverick Holster fits Sig P238" and really like it. Its an OWB holster, with a thumb strap and it's form fitted to the gun. The thumb strapped coming between the hammer and firing pin makes me more comfortable carrying cocked and locked. Plus the clip is low on the holster making the holster ride high on my hip meaning the concealed part of concealed carry is easier to achieve and maintain. However; the first time I tried to draw the gun . . . I practically had to rip my pants off. Okay that's a bit of a hyperbole, but the thing is tight. By the time I was done with my range session it was coming out of the holster more easily.

Any tips on holster break in?

Life is good.

Prof Young
Old May 15, 2018, 07:28 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Best method is to just wear the holster and repeatedly draw the gun.

If it's just too tight put the gun in a plastic bag and push it into the holster.
Let stand over night and check it.
If it's still too tight add another bag and let stand over night again.

This will stretch the leather just enough without damaging it or over-stretching it and making it too loose.
Remember, as you use the holster it's going to stretch and continue to stretch until the gun is too lose.
At that point, no matter how good the holster looks, it's worn out and it's service life is over.

The only treatment to give it is to apply a coat of wax.
Neutral shoe polish or Johnson's Paste Wax works fine.
Use NO dressings or oils.
Old May 16, 2018, 05:15 AM   #3
TJB101

I shoved my gun, wrapped in wax paper, in and out a few dozen times and it helped. The wax paper disintegrated multiple times.
Old May 16, 2018, 06:44 AM   #4
PhillySoldier

My leather holster break-in procedures. Wrap gun in ziplock bag, stuff in holster for a few hours. Remove and then double bag it and reholster again for a few hours. This can be done with or without some type of treatment such as galco draw-ez

https://www.amazon.com/Galco-Draw-Ez.../dp/B001TOLNCK
Old May 16, 2018, 03:43 PM   #5
Prof Young

Thanks. And . . .

Hey thanks for all the tips. This wrap the gun in thin plastic or wax paper idea makes sense. You want to expand the leather but just a teeny tiny bit. ("Teeny tiny" is a technical term that guns smiths use all the time.) Anyway, thanks again. It if remains a problem I'll give it a try.

Life is good

Prof Young