The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 18, 2013, 04:47 PM   #26
SPEMack618

Well, the guys in MEU(SOC) seem to like the .45, as do the fellows in the the FBI HRT team, even after going with the Hi-Power for a little while.

Recent unpleasentness aside, the LAPD SWAT and SIS both carry Kimber .45s of some sort.

Hell, Pops, who was a PJ before anyone thought of wearing a beret and the bush hat was worn because it was practical, carried a -1911A1, in fact, he even carried an M15 during Gulf War I because he didn't like the Beretta.

I would call those guy professionals.

And I could care less what the "professionals" carry. Some of the most professional guys I know carry Beretta 92s. And I'm not racing out to buy one of those. Nor am I racing out to buy a 9mm Sig.

The .45 ACP is here to stay. 9mm is here to stay. .40 is here to stay. .45 GAP remains to be seen.

And you know what, I like .45 ACP because I know that .45 230grn FMJ works pretty damn good without having to worry about expansion.
Old February 18, 2013, 04:48 PM   #27
shootniron

Quote:
I don't know what part of the country you are in but all the pros around here carry .40 S&W and I thought that was the going caliber for this day and time. The state police went from 10mm to 40 and in doing so sold off a bunch of 45's unfired. They changed their mind to the 40 before ever putting the 45 in service. I don't know how or why all that came about but it seems all other police around here carry the 40 also. Seems to me the only place the 40 is not popular is on the gun forums. The majority of people that carry a pistol with their life depending on it in my world carry a 40. It does kick too much for a lot of target practice.
Glock had a huge hand in .40 becoming so prevalent in law enforcement, so quickly.
Old February 18, 2013, 05:11 PM   #28
arch308

I have never been able to make up my mind between 9mm and 45ACP. They both have positives & negatives so I keep a few of both caliber handguns. I phased out my .40s just to simplify my stockpile, not because of any fault with the round. My take is this:
I believe the 45 hits harder without the need for hollowpoints. I'm just a fan of heavy bullets, unless I need to carry alot of ammo. Just strap on a holster rig with about 150 rnds and gun on it. Then walk for a couple of miles, or better yet, run. That is some heavy ammo! That is where I tend to favor the 9mm. The ammo is half the weight and bulk. I believe that is the reasoning behind the 5.56, the ability to carry more ammo.
For target shooting I prefere 45 as the holes in the target are easier to see. I keep a 45 loaded around the house for protection as I feel it hits harder(JMO). In my mind there is a reason why the 9mm is parabellum, the ability to carry more rounds.
Sorry about the ramble. Hope this post makes sense to you guys.

Edited to add: I also like the 45 Colt, .357 mag, & 44 special. All "out of date" calibers.
Old February 18, 2013, 06:26 PM   #29
erhodes

I tend to shoot my 45's and 9's about equally. Although lately I have been shooting my 1911's a lot more. I don't know why people keep talking about the 45 becoming obsolete since I know many LEO's and Military friends of mine that carry 45's during their off time. I think the 45 will always be around since it is an American tradition at this point.

Last edited by erhodes; February 18, 2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old February 19, 2013, 02:18 AM   #30
Tactical Jackalope

The Caliber thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
That's untrue. According to Gun Shop logic, the sound of the action being cycled will cause any would-be intruder to wet his pants and run to the nearest clergyperson to repent his sins.
Ah yes. How could I forget, the nuclear racking of a shotgun or release the slide of a handgun, or the action of a rifle..the sheer sound alone makes intruders tremble. I have heard that one too.

I swear gun shop salesmen and car salesmen. No difference in the BS they spew.
Old February 19, 2013, 02:29 AM   #31
44 AMP
Staff

I wonder why so much emphasis is given to "what the professionals carry"? The overwhelming majority of "professionals" (people paid to carry a gun) don't get to pick what they carry. They carry what they are issued.

And the decision as to what to issue (or approve) is seldom done soley on the basis of what works best. Politics and other factors play a big part.

Now, some "professionals" do get to chose what they use, and perhaps that is worth looking at, but a blanket statement about how the 9mm is the thing, and the .45 is obsolete? that's just hype.
Old February 19, 2013, 06:59 AM   #32
Sport45

Quote:
Advice?
Shoot 'em both and buy the one you like the best.
Old February 19, 2013, 08:49 AM   #33
Jayhawkhuntclub

Neither the 9mm or the 45 acp is anything close to out of date. Both are great choices.

BTW, what would you do if you were some place you weren't supposed to be and heard someone work the slide on a shot gun in the dark? Lie all you want. We know what you'd think and probably do. But otherwise, yes LGS are flowing with BS that is probably based on what they want to sell or projecting themselves as experts. SOME of what they have to say is right though.
Old February 19, 2013, 11:03 AM   #34
4runnerman

BTW, what would you do if you were some place you weren't supposed to be and heard someone work the slide on a shot gun in the dark? Lie all you want. We know what you'd think and probably do.

Ditto That....It does make a very erie noise.
Old February 19, 2013, 11:12 AM   #35
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
BTW, what would you do if you were some place you weren't supposed to be and heard someone work the slide on a shot gun in the dark? Lie all you want. We know what you'd think and probably do.
Me? Since I'm not a criminal and I'm where I belong and have every right in being?

Simple, take cover.
Old February 19, 2013, 11:34 AM   #36
TunnelRat

Quote:
I'd just fire randomly into the dark of course.
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 19, 2013, 12:15 PM   #37
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
I'd just fire randomly into the dark of course.
L M A O !!!!

Sorry that was hilarious.
Old February 19, 2013, 12:20 PM   #38
TunnelRat

Quote:
L M A O !!!!

Sorry that was hilarious.
Old February 19, 2013, 12:23 PM   #39
RBid

From the other side of the counter at the LGS:

I can't tell you how many times I hear guys refer to "handle the .45", as if they think a .45 will fly out of the hands of lesser men when the trigger is pulled one time. When asked if they've practiced rapid fire, the facial expression tells most of the story. You'd think I responded to "hello" by saying "tattoo corn fart!" -- complete lack of connection.

Why would you need to actually practice rapid fire, when one shot will throw a man so hard that he rips a hole in the fabric of space and time, and lands on another planet, 5 million years from now?

I think Colt should introduce a new 1911 in 2014:

Colt Death Ray Elite.

Stainless frame, black slide, rosewood grips with ivory skulls on them, and the engraving on the slide. "High Speed" on the left, "Low Drag" on the right.
Old February 19, 2013, 12:25 PM   #40
TunnelRat

A 45ACP not only kills the bad guy, but his whole family. This extends into the past, rewriting history itself. Use it with care.
Old February 19, 2013, 12:28 PM   #41
RBid

Not to mention that the concussion of a near miss is enough to make most men faint. If you don't want to shoot someone, you can aim to miss with a .45!
Old February 19, 2013, 01:12 PM   #42
4runnerman

I don't even carry my 45. I just carry one bullet and show it to the bad guys and they run
Old February 19, 2013, 01:43 PM   #43
Tom Servo
Staff

All right, it was fun while it lasted, but we're wandering here.
Closed Thread