The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 15, 2021, 08:11 AM   #26
Spats McGee
Staff

MAGAZINES!!! I finally found some available on GB for $50 per 13-rounder from a seller named Brohey. I only ordered a couple, because I think the price will come down when mag supply catches up with pistol supply, and obvously, I'd rather pay less than more.
Old May 15, 2021, 01:43 PM   #27
Archer1440

I got my hands on one of these this past week. Really excellent trigger compared to any Shield I have shot before (all of which were beat-up “battlefield pickup drill” or “mandatory pick this off the table and shoot it” guns in various training classes)- and compared to most all other striker guns, it is very good indeed.

They did something really special with this particular trigger. Unfortunately the grip isn’t to my preferences, but it is sure a neat little pistol.
Old May 22, 2021, 12:17 PM   #28
seanc

I just shot an RDS equipped Shield+ in 9mm yesterday and I was impressed with it's accuracy. I got it as a free rental just to try out an RDS pistol to see how it felt and if I could adapt to the red dot sights. I only intended to shoot a couple mags but ended up shooting about 50 rounds out of it. It was stupid simple to shoot good groups at 25 yards with my reloads (no factory ammo, just reloads). Much better than my Gen 4 G19. I didn't care for the grip, but the trigger is nicer than my Gen 1 Shield 9 (which I have no problem with).

Lessons learned:
1. My G19 is getting a new aftermarket barrel some day (father's day?).
2. An RDS pistol isn't as hard to adapt to as I thought it would be. By the 2nd mag, it was almost coming to a natural point, even with a grip that I wasn't 100% comfortable with.
3. The Shield+ is ACCURATE!
Old May 22, 2021, 05:45 PM   #29
rodfac

I'm not a lawyer, Spats, but that was a great review. Both of my sons carry Shields, and find them well suited to their carry needs. While I carry a Sig P365 for trips to town, I have shot my son's examples here on our home range. Like you, the trigger does give me a sore spot, but they ran like a top, feeding everything we tried from FMJ's to home case LSWC's, and some very aggressive JHP's as well.

Best regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old May 25, 2021, 11:53 AM   #30
mrt949

Have a gen 1 shield Like the SIG 365 Better
Old May 25, 2021, 02:17 PM   #31
mpolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt949 View Post
I got rid of my Gen 1 when I got the Shield Plus. Best trigger of all the Micros.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old May 26, 2021, 06:16 AM   #32
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfac View Post
I'm not a lawyer, Spats, but that was a great review....
Thank you, Rod.
Old May 26, 2021, 06:17 AM   #33
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt949 View Post
There's certainly nothing wrong with the P365. Like mpolk, I got rid of my Shield 1.0 after getting the Plus. There was nothing wrong with my 1.0, either. I loved that gun, but a good friend of mine needed it more than I needed for it to sit in my safe.
Old May 26, 2021, 06:30 AM   #34
mpolk

The P365 is a great gun. I just have large hands and of all the micro pistols, it fits my hand the worst. Between the grip angle and the fact that it is such a small grip, it just won't work for me. The Hellcat is not much bigger, but fits me better. The Shield and Shield Plus as well as my Walther PPSm2 all feel great in my hands. If the Glock 43X had better ergonomics, it would be in that category too. I end up carrying the Hellcat most of the time. It is just more comfortable IWB. JMHO

Old May 26, 2021, 03:04 PM   #35
claydoctor

I like the Sig P365 and have had both the standard one and the XL version. Whether it is the curved or straight trigger, both pinch my finger after a few shots. I'm not sure why. I have small hands and perhaps my finger is being pinched beneath the point of the trigger and the trigger guard. The Shield works much better for me. Perhaps, that is why I have four of them, the original in all three calibers and a new Shield Plus Performance Center. I have a bunch of handguns for comparison and the new Plus is a gem, especially the PC version,which with better sights and a great trigger, is well worth the additional cost.
Old May 26, 2021, 10:16 PM   #36
dgludwig

I'm not sure what a good (fair?) buy this is but one of my local gun stores is selling the Shield Plus for $499.99 with a 13 round magazine.
Old May 26, 2021, 10:38 PM   #37
claydoctor

That price seems about right with the PC version running about $125 more.
Old May 27, 2021, 03:36 AM   #38
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpolk View Post
I got rid of my Gen 1 when I got the Shield Plus. Best trigger of all the Micros.

Best trigger of all Micro's? Do you mean best for target shooting, EDC? I am presuming you mean best for you. People like triggers for various preferences. I have not shot the Sheild Plus. Did own a Shield many years ago. Nice gun but just not my cup of tea. Most of all the Micro 9mm's are as different as the People that buy them. I am glad the OP found his perfect EDC Micro. But for sure people should shoot as many as they can before just jumping on one particular gun. What is best for one person is a not a could choice for another. And so many Nice firearms to choose from.
Old May 27, 2021, 03:59 AM   #39
mpolk

The Shield Plus trigger has a very smooth take-up with a crisp break at 4lb 2oz average. Very little over-travel. Distinct audible reset. Qualities that work well for most people in a carry pistol, especially a hi-cap micro. JMHO

Old May 27, 2021, 06:19 AM   #40
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgludwig View Post
I'm not sure what a good (fair?) buy this is but one of my local gun stores is selling the Shield Plus for $499.99 with a 13 round magazine.
From what I've seen, that's a fair deal. I paid $529 + tax (with one 13 round and one 10 round magazine) and it looks like lots of them are available on GB for $499 + tax, shipping, transfer, etc.
Old May 27, 2021, 10:16 AM   #41
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpolk View Post
The Shield Plus trigger has a very smooth take-up with a crisp break at 4lb 2oz average. Very little over-travel. Distinct audible reset. Qualities that work well for most people in a carry pistol, especially a hi-cap micro. JMHO

I would not say that a 4 lb trigger is for most people. Really could care less about a audible reset. This is where I would have to try the trigger before purchase. Just like most guns. If it is too light, not interested. Thanks for the Info.
Old May 29, 2021, 09:25 PM   #42
MJ45

awesome gun. i went in to buy a Glock 43, after looking at the 43 and the Shield Plus side by side i came home with the Shield. after shooting the Shield+, i knew i made the right decision. soft shooting, great trigger, easy to shoot accurately... over 150 rounds through it the first outing, no problems ....
Old May 31, 2021, 08:35 AM   #43
Spats McGee
Staff

Yeah, when I was considering the Shield 1.0, I shot a G43 and an XDS for comparison. The other two were OK, but nothing to write home about. Hoping to get my Plus back to the range for more shooting soon.
Old June 12, 2021, 12:41 PM   #44
Sigkid79

Sold my P365 SAS and picked up a Shield Plus. I could not get use to the SAS sights, nor could I get it to shoot accurately even after a number of times at the range. Sold it for more than I paid for it and picked up the Shield. My only complaint about the Shield is the 13rnd mag doesn’t sit flush with the mag well and is a little loose. Anyone else having this problem? The 10rnd mag sits great, but I prefer the feel of the full grip that comes with the 13rnd mag.

Last edited by Sigkid79; June 12, 2021 at 12:47 PM.