The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 5, 2021, 01:54 PM   #1
sako2

carbon

I'm getting a lot of carbon on the outside of the case neck with hornady brass. The same load with adg brass doesn't do it. I weighed the case's both hold the same amount of h2o. Seems like i'm not getting the same pressure.
Old June 5, 2021, 03:09 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

One possibility is that the ADG may be annealed a little softer at the neck at the factory than Hornady is. Another is that your Hornady brass has been subjected to more reloading cycles. The Hornady alloy probably isn't identical. Either can make the Hornady necks require greater pressure to fully expand to fill the chamber. Another possibility is the Hornady neck walls are thicker, though that seems unlikely.

Did you compare the water capacity as-fired? That's the form that affects peak pressure.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 5, 2021, 03:29 PM   #3
Shadow9mm

How many time have they been fired? Have either been annealed?
Old June 5, 2021, 04:26 PM   #4
hounddawg

take a measurement of the neck OD of both cases with a round loaded. Are they the same? Tiny Boyle goes into carbon rings and analyzing them in his book. It could be caused by a number of things but the bottom line is are you happy with how they both shoot? I get carbon bad on my 6BR but I load for accuracy not speed and my loads tend to be on the light side
Old June 5, 2021, 05:29 PM   #5
sako2

The adg brass has more firing on it. The adg cases have about 15 firings on them. The hornady has about 12 firings on them. They have all been annealed after each firing. They shoot good. I'm happy with them. Never thought i would get that many firings on them. Haven't lost a hornady case yet.
Old June 5, 2021, 08:01 PM   #6
zeke

When not shooting great volume, am using damp rag to wipe off any carbon on case neck immediately/soon after brass is ejected. But do not shoot any sort of timed competition, and sometimes tough to gather the brass from semi.
Old June 5, 2021, 08:27 PM   #7
sako2

It comes off when i wet tumble them. Isn't it a sign of under pressure?
Old June 6, 2021, 05:14 AM   #8
zeke

It can be, but more details would help. Some calibers have greater brass variations than others. It might also matter at what level (near min/near max) the powder charge is.

If you are using mid to high level powder charge and everything else being the same except brass, would agree with others that the brass thickness in the neck may be less. Some chambers will have get carbon on the necks simply because the chamber neck is not real tight, or you fired enough rounds to get it dirty.
Old June 6, 2021, 06:20 AM   #9
sako2

It's a 6.5 prc. With a max charge of magpro.
Old June 6, 2021, 10:04 AM   #10
zeke

With max charges am gonna guess the loads using Hdy brass are not "under pressure" . Are they slightly enough less pressure to not seal the case necks against the case walls to keep carbon from getting on the neck? Would have no idea, but again guessing the carbon is just due to metallurgic/dimensional differences.

Did you chrono the average velocity's of the loads using differing brass?
Old June 6, 2021, 10:54 AM   #11
scatterbrain

Your well used brass may not have a uniform neck thickness on all the surface of the neck. The seal to the barrel neck will not be uniform a allow soot to escape.
Old June 6, 2021, 02:40 PM   #12
sako2

Yes i chronoed the 2 loads average is 2980. I have 1500 rounds down the tube. I'm going to give it a cleaning and go from there.