The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 29, 2021, 08:32 PM   #1
mpolk

Traded Shield for Glock 43X

Since I got my new Shield Plus, didn't see any reason to keep my Shield 9mm 1st gen, so I traded it for a like new Glock 43X. Never really was too fond of my Glock 43 with the short grip. This feels much better. Took it apart and polished all the critical surfaces and ordered the Ghost Edge trigger bar. That ought to do the trick. Probably won't displace the Shield Plus or the Hellcat in my edc rotation, but since I didn't have a Glock anymore I guess it will be the token Glock in my arsenal, LOL. Already had Talon grips so I didn't have to do that at least.

Mike: aka FFLMike
Greenlawn Sports
Old April 30, 2021, 05:17 AM   #2
jonnyc

I love my 43X and just got one for my son.
Let us know if yours moves up the ladder.
Old April 30, 2021, 05:41 AM   #3
mpolk

The Springfield Hellcat with 13rd mag and an Apex trigger is my main carry gun. The Shield Plus has the best factory trigger I have ever seen on a micro carry gun. The 43x with polished parts and a ghost trigger bar won't compare. Just haven't shot the Shield Plus enough to make it my mainstay. Also have a Walther PPS m2 in the mix. It too has a very good trigger. Now that my original Shield is gone, it resides in my truck.
Old May 3, 2021, 01:31 PM   #4
Brownstone322

I didn't care for the G43 either. The "X" changed everything, so I bought one.
Old May 11, 2021, 08:17 PM   #5
Long Beard

I like Glock, don't get me wrong. I almost bought one several years back chambered in 10mm but chose the S&W MP 40 because at that time factory loaded 10mm availability was a concern locally. Essentially the same, I think the S&W was the better choice.
Old May 11, 2021, 08:36 PM   #6
mpolk

Well I'm not a real fan of Glocks, but figured I ought to have one anyway. The 43X is the one I chose to be my Glock of choice, LOL. Walthers are my choice when it comes to striker fired handguns. I do like my Shield Plus and my Hellcat also.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old May 11, 2021, 08:52 PM   #7
jonnyc

"Well I'm not a real fan of Glocks, but figured I ought to have one anyway. The 43X is the one I chose to be my Glock of choice"

Exactly the same for me. Got, disliked, and sold my 43...bought and kept my first 43X...just bought a second 43X to give to my son. Still got my One-and-Only, and don't ever plan to get another.
Old May 12, 2021, 12:14 PM   #8
pete2

Traded a Shield for a Glock????? I don't understand..................
Old May 12, 2021, 12:25 PM   #9
mpolk

Got a new Shield Plus. Didn't need the Shield Gen 1. Not a particular reason other than I wanted to. Glock 43X is worth a little more than the older Shields.

Old May 15, 2021, 11:29 AM   #10
shafter

I chose my Shield over the 43. If the 43X had been available then the choice would have been real easy. Glock all the way.
Old May 15, 2021, 11:37 AM   #11
mpolk

Between the Shield Plus and the Glock 43X, the Glock stays in the safe most of the time. Even with the Ghost trigger bar and polished internals in the Glock, the Shield Plus factory trigger is hands down better. JMHO

Old May 16, 2021, 06:59 AM   #12
smee78

I have a 43X and upgraded it with an Apex trigger, Ghost trigger bar and Shield mags W/ mag release (15+1). It has become my daily carry gun and I am extremely happy with it. Trading an older Shield sounds like a good trade. I gave my son my 43 to carry after I got my 43X.
Old May 17, 2021, 04:34 AM   #13
Hawg

I might trade a Hi Point for a Glock.......Nah, couldn't do it.
Old May 17, 2021, 08:32 AM   #14
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownstone322 View Post
I didn't care for the G43 either. The "X" changed everything, so I bought one.
Sic transit gloria mundi.

The G43 was "the hotness" when it finally came out, years after the 9mm single stack micro gun was "a thing". Now that category's popularity has faded a bit in favor of the double(ish) stack version of the same.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old May 17, 2021, 08:53 AM   #15
cslinger

Quote:
Now that category's popularity has faded a bit in favor of the double(ish) stack version of the same.
Pretty soon we might have 15-17 shot 9mm handguns that are big enough to shoot well but small enough to carry. I dunno maybe we could call it something like a Glock 19. :P

I keeedd, I keeeeeed! . Seriously though for me, as much as I think guns like the P365 etc. are amazing from an engineering perspective they are actually too small for me and I don’t have large hands. I have always like the Glock 19esqe sized handgun.
Old May 19, 2021, 01:29 AM   #16
O4L

I sold a Shield 1.0 and another gun and bought two G48 pistols.

I got to handle and dry fire a 4" Shield Plus. The trigger was great. If the 48's don't work out I'll be trying a Shield Plus, or two, next.
Old May 19, 2021, 04:09 AM   #17
Brit

I do not sell guns, just buy them. I waffled between G19 and the 43X. I ordered the 43X with steel night sights, the ones with the red circled front sight.
It shot straight to point of aim, right out of the box 4.5lb trigger, not bad.

Went back to my Gen4 Glock 19, last night went back to the 43X. So neat. I have the first issue the Nickle like slide, I like it.
My Son waited till the Black Slide came out.
Old May 19, 2021, 09:04 AM   #18
mpolk

I have to say I was really disappointed in the 43X trigger even with the Ghost trigger bar. I disassembled it again, cleaned and polished all the surfaces to a mirror finish including the striker and spring, striker safety plunger and extractor plunger. All parts for the transfer bar and even the Ghost trigger bar got the treatment too. Now it is a very crisp break.

Greenlawn Sports
Old May 19, 2021, 09:08 AM   #19
mpolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit View Post
I do not sell guns, just buy them.
After a converted bedroom to an office/gun room, two converted closets and 3 gun safes, my wife told me that is all the space I can have, LOL

Greenlawn Sports
Old May 21, 2021, 04:27 AM   #20
Brit

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Mike,
I never did a Parachute jump doing my National Service 2 years mandatory.
In the Royal Signals? Not really. A few years after being Demobed, with my second child Called Mike in tow. I headed for a Parachute School, in Ontario Canada, I lived there at the time.

I was schooled in the correct way to land, how to deploy the emergency shoot. Important stuff like that.

" Dad I am only 12, if you get killed doing this jump, I can not drive, how am I going to get home?" He is now aged 64, runs a very successful Company in Orlando FL. On his 4th Wife. Just as predatory now! We live just 4 miles away from each other I am now married for 28 years to my second wife.

A very happy 85-year-old! Good night, happy Shooting.
Old May 27, 2021, 02:46 AM   #21
Brit

Sorry--- Daughter 61 Son 58 YOA.
I just can not get my head around having a 61-year-old Daughter!

Last edited by Brit; May 28, 2021 at 02:56 AM.
Old May 28, 2021, 10:03 AM   #22
Ruger45LC

I liked the two 43X's I had but the grip is just a bit longer than I like for concealment and I've found I can pack a G27 or G26 easier.