The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 23, 2017, 05:15 PM   #1
the45er

I have just acquired an old Ruger Blackhawk 44 Mag

and I would like to buy a set of Hogue rubber grips for it. However, the more I research the various nuances of these Blackhawks, the more confused I get as to what Hogues would fit it. My revolver has a 4 digit serial number, three screws and an "XR3" (not "red") frame. The backstrap is 1/2" wide.

I take it that this is a fairly "collectible" model and not safe to carry with a round under the hammer, BUT WHAT HOGUE GRIPS, IF ANY, FIT THIS REVOLVER?
Old September 23, 2017, 05:21 PM   #2
Kwik2010

Your best bet would be to call Hogue and ask em. I thought the new frames were XR3's and the old ones were XR3 Red's but I could have that mixed up. The link below takes you to the hogue pagethat specifically states it fits the .5" width frame. not sure that that'll work but it might. I had an old Blackhawk once and I don't remember having any issues finding a Hogue grip for them but that was quite a while ago.

https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/ruger.../new-blackhawk

Edit: I think I do have them mixed up. When in doubt I just call the manufacturer and ask. Here's a web page that might offer you some info as well on the difference in frames.

http://www.gunblast.com/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames.htm
Old September 23, 2017, 08:07 PM   #3
the45er

I just checked. The gun was made in 1957! It looks in mint condition. I wonder if this gun has any extra value given it's condition and age? I also learned it shouldn't be carried with a round under the hammer as it has no transfer bar.
Old September 23, 2017, 08:36 PM   #4
Dano4734

Me I would let it alone it is perfect, great guns
Old September 23, 2017, 08:49 PM   #5
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

Does it look something like this?

This one was made in 1958. Pay particular attention to the shape of the rear sight. Notice there are no 'ears' coming up off the frame to protect the rear sight. That makes this one a Flat Top, and yes it adds value.

This Three Screw 357 Magnum is not a Flat Top. Notice how the frame comes up at the rear to protect the rear sight.

And yes, just like the original Colt Single Action Army, there is no transfer bar in these guns. It is not safe to carry fully loaded with a round under the hammer. If it happens to fall on the hammer spur, it will very likely discharge. That is why in the 1970s Ruger redesigned all their single action revolvers to include a transfer bar. If you want, you can send it to Ruger and they will modify it with new parts that include a transfer bar. They will do this for free. I do not advise it, the gun will not be the same, and you will have destroyed whatever collector value it has. Just learn to keep the chamber under the hammer empty. A little tough to do because unlike a Colt the chambers are counterbored and you cannot see the rims from the side.

The way to load one of these is to load one, skip one, load four more, then without allowing the cylinder to rotate backwards, cock the hammer fully and lower it. It should be on an empty chamber. Practice this with dummy rounds or snap caps over and over again until you have it right, because you cannot see the rims from the side. Always assume it is fully loaded.

Yes, mine has the XR3 grip frame. Sorry, I can be of no help regarding after market grips, mine still has the originals on it.
Old September 23, 2017, 09:23 PM   #6
the45er

Mine looks exactly like the pistol in the top picture only mine has brown wooden grip panels with the "blackhawk" emblem in the same place. Thanks for the info as I was wondering what "Flattop" meant.

It also has what looks like the word "micro" etched in cursive on the top of the sight.
Old September 24, 2017, 12:16 AM   #7
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy Again

The top two photos in my post are the same gun. Views of each side.

I do not know for certain, but I believe the Micro rear sights for these guns were supplied by another company. Probably the guys over at the Ruger Forum could answer that question.

Old September 24, 2017, 05:12 AM   #8
WarPig1976

Instead of the Hogue"s why not learn how to shoot the revolver with the stock grips as it was intended? The grip frame is supposed to slip in the hand to help mitigate recoil. There is an art to shooting big bores proficiently.
Old September 24, 2017, 01:28 PM   #9
SIGSHR

Check to see that it has not been converted. And yes, that is an excellent find.
Old September 24, 2017, 03:24 PM   #10
the45er

No transfer bar on this revolver. It's in it's original state and the word "micro" is even a little screwed up from a careless engraver. Only visible with a magnifying glass.

I have arthritis in my wrists and shooting that gun with full bore rounds is just not enjoyable. I'm comfortable enough with my manhood not to need to prove anything by shooting expensive, heavy recoiling ammunition that hurts my hand and wrist. Yes, I can do it and yes, the smooth grip rolls up and I guess it does help mitigate the recoil, but I don't see the point in doing it. If I can't find the grips I need, I'll load some easy-recoiling 44 SPL loads with which to learn to shoot this beast!
Old September 24, 2017, 06:15 PM   #11
DaleA

Hope you have fun with it.

I shot a Blackhawk with the standard Ruger wood grips and then with a set of Pachmayr grips and vastly preferred the rubber Pachmayr grips. It might be sacrilege to put them on a cowboy style six shooter but they sure felt better!!!

Good luck.
Old September 24, 2017, 06:40 PM   #12
Dufus

A shooter's glove would and does add some comfort. Then you might be able to shoot the "beast" without having to screw with after market grips.
Old September 24, 2017, 06:57 PM   #13
Pathfinder45

If you reload, just load it down some. The 44 magnum is way too powerful for most purposes. Don't get me wrong, those magnum loadings have their place, but if you can't enjoy shooting them, why do it? If you load that thing down to about the power of a standard 45 Colt, you can shoot it all day and enjoy it. That's really all the power you will likely ever need.

Last edited by Pathfinder45; September 24, 2017 at 06:57 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old September 24, 2017, 09:35 PM   #14
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
It's in it's original state and the word "micro" is even a little screwed up from a careless engraver. Only visible with a magnifying glass.
I doubt if the word 'Micro' was engraved by hand. I have two Ruger Three Screws with the Micro rear sight. The script is identical, although one is more distinct than the other. I suspect they were roll engraved (stamped) with the word Micro.

"the word "micro" is even a little screwed up from a careless engraver."

Not really sure what you mean by that, but I would attribute any variation to the way the marking was stamped, not a 'careless engraver'.
Old September 24, 2017, 10:08 PM   #15
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
I have arthritis in my wrists and shooting that gun with full bore rounds is just not enjoyable. I'm comfortable enough with my manhood not to need to prove anything by shooting expensive, heavy recoiling ammunition that hurts my hand and wrist. Yes, I can do it and yes, the smooth grip rolls up and I guess it does help mitigate the recoil, but I don't see the point in doing it. If I can't find the grips I need, I'll load some easy-recoiling 44 SPL loads with which to learn to shoot this beast!
I sympathize with the arthritis. You can also shoot it with .44 Special. Or be extra super sneaky and shoot .44 Russian. In a full-size Ruger Blackhawk .44 Russian will feel like shooting a .22.
Old September 25, 2017, 08:04 AM   #16
buck460XVR

My first .44 mag revolver(back in the early seventies) was a 3 screw Blackhawk. The stock grips were terrible with hunting type loads, even when one allowed the gun to "roll", not "slip", in your hand. Because it was so unpleasant to shoot, I traded the gun for a SxS grouse gun. Wish I would've tried different grips, and kept the gun. But I still have and regularly use the SxS.

Changing the grips is not going to affect the little bit of collector value of the gun as long as you keep the originals. It's shooting the gun that will do that. But if you are going to shoot it(and I would), you may as well enjoy it and not dread it.
Old September 25, 2017, 10:16 AM   #17
mhblaw

I have several Ruger OM and NM 44 Magnums. Shoot mostly 44 Special in them. Lots of fun!
Old September 25, 2017, 05:27 PM   #18
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
If you want, you can send it to Ruger and they will modify it with new parts that include a transfer bar. They will do this for free.
Not only will Ruger do it for free, they will do it if you send them the gun FOR ANY REASON. They will do it if you specifically tell them NOT TO!!!.

They HAVE TO.

Converting "old models" to the transfer bar system is something Ruger has to do, by law. Ruger didn't create the "new model" lockwork (about 73 or so) because they felt like it, they got sued, and lost. (essentially an idiot shot himself in the leg -in the cab of a moving pickup- and sued Ruger. The jury apparently went with the "deep pockets" appeal and Ruger lost)

Part of the settlement of that lawsuit was that while Ruger did not have to recall any of their old model guns, any of those guns that Ruger gets (for any reason) MUST BE converted. Ruger used to return the original parts with the gun, I do not know if this is still the case, or not.

Quote:
Changing the grips is not going to affect the little bit of collector value of the gun as long as you keep the originals. It's shooting the gun that will do that.
Yes, and no. Shooting the gun will not affect collector value. It is already "used". DAMAGE caused by shooting the gun (including finish wear) WILL affect the collector value. (and that include the degree of holster wear on the finish. Collectors will pay more for a gun shot 1,000 times that looks brand new than they will pay for a gun shot 100 times that looks like it has logged 1,000 miles in the saddle...other than actual damage, what collectors are paying for is the degree of finish condition. The more it looks like new in the box, the more they will pay)

As to Hogue or Pachmyr grips, I say, go for it. All my Ruger SAs wear Pachmyr, if they shoot a 200gr+ bullet over 1200fps.
Old September 25, 2017, 08:11 PM   #19
the45er

Both Hogue and Pachmyr told me today that they do not (and never did) make rubber grips for this early generation Ruger Blackhawk Flat-top, 3 screw hand cannon.
Old September 25, 2017, 11:23 PM   #20
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy Again

I did some snooping and found that the Micro rear sights on the early Blackhawks were made by the Micro Sight Company in California. Apparently they have been out of business for a long time.
Old September 26, 2017, 09:18 AM   #21
JAREDSHS

just . deleted

Last edited by JAREDSHS; September 26, 2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old September 26, 2017, 11:25 AM   #22
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
-----single action heavy recoiling six shooters were
designed to "roll up" in the hand when fired (while on horse back)to facilitate re cocking for the next shot----pretty hard to accomplish this with a sticky rubber grip. don't be a wimp---use it like it was designed to be used.
Grips are a matter of personal preference. It wasn't just "heavy recoiling" six shooters that were designed to roll up in the hand, ALL calibers of SA's used a variation of Colt's "plowhandle" grip, from .22s through .45s.

I don't find pachmyrs "sticky", just softer than hard rubber, wood, and plastic. And my .44s & .45s still roll in my hand, the big difference being the muzzle winds up around a 70 degree angle, rather than 110degrees...

The oversize grips also reduce the injury to my hand shooting heavy loads, by filling in behind the triggerguard. Shooting 250gr slugs at over 1100fps, I found my middle finger getting bashed by the trigger guard during recoil. The grips I use make my guns easier and more comfortable to shoot, which is the entire reason I use them. Period. I don't care if YOU don't like them. You should use whatever you prefer. I may be a wimp, but I know I'm not a grip snob.
Old September 26, 2017, 11:41 AM   #23
tipoc

Quote:
just my personal take on the grip issue-----single action heavy recoiling six shooters were
designed to "roll up" in the hand when fired (while on horse back)to facilitate re cocking for the next shot----pretty hard to accomplish this with a sticky rubber grip. don't be a wimp---use it like it was designed to be used.
This is pretty much true.

It's also true that no one was shooting a 44 Mag back then as well.

tipoc
Old September 26, 2017, 01:08 PM   #24
RC20

So S&W who came out with the 44 magnum did not know what they were doing and should have adapted the old colt revolver style grips?
Old September 26, 2017, 01:45 PM   #25
JAREDSHS

Well crap---I withdraw my comment, and I'll just shut up!
I am 81 years old and have no time for a smart alec.

Last edited by JAREDSHS; September 26, 2017 at 02:03 PM.