The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2017, 04:24 PM   #1
Joe-ker

PPU brand ammo

Hello all! Who has experience with this? Particularly interested in the brass quality as I am looking to buy a bunch of loaded brass (.357) to build up my reserve rather than spending on just brass.
Old February 10, 2017, 05:18 PM   #2
Bamashooter

I buy 30-06 PPU made specifically for the M1 Garand and reloaded their brass. Not sure yet how many loads I will be able to get because the Garand beats it up pretty good.

Ive loaded hundreds of .223 PPU brass and some that I have is on its second and third reload. Its good enough for me.
Old February 10, 2017, 05:37 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

In my experience...
PPU ammunition is generally of decent quality, and performs like domestic stuff.

PPU handgun brass is hit-and-miss.
But, most PPU rifle brass is decent. For many rifle cartridges, I consider it to be better than the common domestic brands; and in some cases, almost as good as Lapua or Norma.
Old February 10, 2017, 06:01 PM   #4
ligonierbill

I've used both PPU ammo and new brass. No problems with either. I don't seek it out, but on more than one occasion, they were the only option.
Old February 10, 2017, 08:55 PM   #5
snakeye

Never any issues with that brass I really like how tight the primers fit
Old February 11, 2017, 12:28 AM   #6
SHR970

Privi Partisan.. Serbian made ammo. Also branded as Wolf Gold. In the Past Hansen. Hot Shot, and a couple others I don't remember at the moment.

Generally speaking good ammo and the brass is good for reloading. It isn't top shelf across the board but it is equall to or better than bargain grade FedRemChster stuff. I'm running brass for my 6.5x55 Swede that goes back to the early 90's and some of it has been run through my AG42B more than once. I have a batch of special loads for my 30 carb. on PPU brass that have stood the test of time; also developed in the early 90's.
Old February 11, 2017, 10:42 AM   #7
Jeffm004

Currently they are the most accurate factory in my .223.
Old February 11, 2017, 11:42 AM   #8
kerreckt

I have used PPU rounds and brass in a number of different calibers. I have found it to be consistent, reliable and great for reloading. Their 10mm brass has been some of the best I have used. Right up there with Starline. I shot a bunch of it in .380 and have reloaded the brass many times. Initially, I would buy PPU to shoot and then have brass to reload. I prefer it over a number of domestic offerings. It is truly good ammo and brass, IMHO.
Old February 11, 2017, 02:42 PM   #9
Nick_C_S

To qualify for CCW here, you have to use factory ammo. And you have to qualify with each specific gun you plan on putting on your permit.

To qualify my Glock 29sf 10mm, my ammo choices were limited. I carry the "de-tuned" Federal Hydra-Shok - but it costs about $1.90 a round - too expensive for qualifying. And most other less expensive ammo is hotter than I care to shoot for qualifying. That left PPU. It's de-tuned and cheap - perfect for what I needed it to do.

I collected the brass and now reload it just like the other brands of brass (FC, *-*, HPR) without any trouble. Seems to be just fine.
Old February 12, 2017, 09:37 AM   #10
Duster340

I use it for my 303 Brit. No problem whats so ever.